First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 STi/18 4Runner/19 GX-460
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Curious for those that have jeeps that park with the roof/doors off... I've had convertibles but always parked with the roof up because I'm likely overly cautious. For instance going to dinner at a restaurant (before the apocalypse) and put the roof up and windows up. Just not wanting to give some idiot the idea to quickly get in and search the car or... be a total d!ck and throw trash in it. I've been to NFL games where someone wanted to show off there nice convertible only to have beer cans thrown in it. Let's face it... there are idiots on this planet.

With the Bronco I was wondering if there will be any type of secure storage available like a lock box I had for my Tundra. Granted... that was much larger and huge center console plus it wasn't a convertible nor could I take the doors off...but I think you understand where I'm coming from.

Driving with the roof off doors on is likely going to attract less attention. Doors off/roof off likely not the case parked in a lot going to dinner for a few hours.

Wondering if I'm just being overly cautious or not.

I had my Tacoma broken into and rummaged through. Not a pleasant experience.

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored

Sponsored

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I thought there was showing to be a locking center console as an option on some models?

GreenMachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As a former convertible owner I left the car top down all the time, but also left the doors unlocked and nothing of value within sight. If you're talking about a soft top and feeling safer that way, well anyone can find their way in regardless if they want. Even if it's not a soft top and is a regular vehicle, someone can break their way in through the window if they want to get inside.

I think there is a perimeter alarm you can have active on the vehicle, or perhaps install a dashcam for added security? Hidden/lockable compartment and/or storage in the trunk under the tray may be the best option for those scenarios?

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve got a couple switches that I can “arm” that will disable the ignition. Just simple stuff that delays the time it takes to steal.

In my old FSB, that never ran with doors or a top, I had a heavy duty log chain with a heavy duty lock that I’d lock it in first gear, low range. If they were going to steal it, they wouldn’t move fast. I did it that way all over SoCal. Granted, my FSB was not a looker.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just need to leave behind a deterrent like an NRA sticker on the window

But maybe we'll see a factory accessory to help a little at the start

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Haven't locked the doors on either of my cars in over a decade. No matter where I park it. Windows are only up when driving in the rain otherwise they live safely in the door.

Of course, usually people recognize that they probably can't even figure out how to start a classic car, let alone steal it. They can have all the Harbor Freight tools they want out of the trunk... If they can pick the lock to the trunk, since remote trunk openers hadn't been invented yet.

Swing away steering wheel on the T-bird throws people off, and the '51 has a starter button with 3-on-the-tree.

Will be curious to see what happens with the Bronco, since I don't plan on having the rear clamshell on very often. Doors will be weekdays only.

Ford Bronco Roof off security 20170510_174442

Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just need to leave behind a deterrent like an NRA sticker on the window
I would highly recommend NOT doing that. Nothing says, "If you look in here you might find a gun" like an NRA sticker.

Chewcudda

Black Diamond
First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
kia soul, mini cooper, kawasaki versys
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
the last vehicle I had that was similar (geo tracker, yes not the same) and I ended up getting an old military trunk and putting it behind the back seat so if I needed to lock up anything (guns, valuables) it was bolted to the floor and you had to open it to get to the bolts. I can see a similar thing that bolts the the floor or tray. being non-descript probably made it safer.

icavedin

Base
First Name
Ami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 4runner, '91 318iS, '07 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Also buy a stick shift, nobody but you will know how to drive it so it'll be virtually theft proof
Funny you say that because back when I lived in San Francisco, you’d often see more people than not driving stick. But generally, yep I agree with you.

When I used to park my 4runner in the mission w/ the hardtop off, I would sometimes find it moved forward a few meters because someone threw it in neutral and wanted to play games. Also couldn’t tell you the number of less financially fortunate people I found sleeping in the bed - no harm no foul though.

I guess you can say I’m philanthropic and give back to the community w/ my rigs eh?:geek:

Hyperforming

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This was a common topic of discussion over on the FFCars forum back when I had my Factory Five Cobra. One of my favorite suggestions was to leave an old, well worn holster visible.
Sponsored