indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Until I had the option of “company cars”. Every vehicle I have owned had a manual transmission. ’56 Ford, CJ2A, CJ3A, CJ5, Jeep Cherokee, AMC Eagle (yup!), ‘65 Corvette, and perhaps a few others I have missed…. Yes, I still love to shift through the gears!

I know many of you will argue with me, but the Badlands, 2.7L, SAS with the 10 speed auto seems to do extremely well at low speed off the road. So, FOR THE TYPE OF OFF ROADING THAT I DO, I would take the 10 speed auto over the manual transmission every time.
Agreed that automatic setup is the ticket for low speed off-road crawling. I went manual though, because I'm not doing as much of that type of off-roading as in the past, and overall find the manual more fun and like to control shifting. But the manual noise is a concern - hope Ford works it out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bkirchhoff

bkirchhoff

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW: '07 328xi, '13 X1, '75 R90/6, '12 R1200GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed that automatic setup is the ticket for low speed off-road crawling. I went manual though, because I'm not doing as much of that type of off-roading as in the past, and overall find the manual more fun and like to control shifting. But the manual noise is a concern - hope Ford works it out.
This is my thought process on the transmission choice. Badlands, 2D, non-Sas, 7MT, Lux hits all the sweet spot needs for my intended usage. I want to hit some trails, but I also want it to be my solid road trip machine. And I love rowing the gears. I settled for an automatic in my current BMW 328xi touring (because MT wagons are basically unobtainium in the US) and it’s the one thing I wish was different about that car. For the Bronco, mine is not a build I’m likely to find on any dealer lot (or used) anytime soon. So I’m eager to get my order in as I’m now fully set on the ideal build for my needs. No more compromises on transmission preference for me! 😂

Cleveland-Native

Badlands
First Name
Fry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Ranger, 2009 VW Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ditto. 12.5k miles on the 7MT without an issue.
I'm glad to hear that. I got a little worried reading the first couple of comments. Hopefully picking my manual up from Granger sometime in June

Nobroncoyet

Base
First Name
Ohh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
Until I had the option of “company cars”. Every vehicle I have owned had a manual transmission. ’56 Ford, CJ2A, CJ3A, CJ5, Jeep Cherokee, AMC Eagle (yup!), ‘65 Corvette, and perhaps a few others I have missed…. Yes, I still love to shift through the gears!

I know many of you will argue with me, but the Badlands, 2.7L, SAS with the 10 speed auto seems to do extremely well at low speed off the road. So, FOR THE TYPE OF OFF ROADING THAT I DO, I would take the 10 speed auto over the manual transmission every time.
It's called getting old. My wife is where you are . She loved stick cars. She never drove an automatic and suddenly after 30 years of driving she went and purchased one.

Boyditnow

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta Manual Transmission
Your Bronco Model
Base
I sure hope it’s a redesign or otherwise has a definitive fix for the grinding issue every other 7MT seems to have. I’m on week 6 waiting for my 7MT to come back from the TSB work.
I sure hope it’s a redesign or otherwise has a definitive fix for the grinding issue every other 7MT seems to have. I’m on week 6 waiting for my 7MT to come back from the TSB work.
Today is my six week anniversary as well. My dealer is waiting on a $105 part. Grinding noise started around 9,000 miles.

Sponsored

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I remember when I took a Dodge Raider (Mitsubushi Montero) in for manual transmission repair. It came out worse than when it went in. Had to take it to another dealer to get it done right. 2nd dealer said a part had been left out.

If there is a problem (TSB) with the manual transmission.. I'd wait as long as possible to get it fixed. Let somebody else "train" the dealership mechanic newbies 1st by getting their transmission repaired 1st. Just my 2 cents.

Gassyjack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m sure at some level at ford they know more about the MT fiasco than they are letting on.
It sure appears to be a design flaw so it was a good call to quit installing a faulty product, regardless of what excuse the use.

Badland-Mansquatch-ATX

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL, Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm glad to hear that. I got a little worried reading the first couple of comments. Hopefully picking my manual up from Granger sometime in June
2022 Balands SAS with MT. Just over a year and 11K miles. I had a very early problem with the collar sticking when going into reverse. The dealer fixed quickly and I’ve had no trouble with noises or grinding. Very smooth shifting and SO much fun to drive. I’d have to admit, however, that the AT with all the tech is easier to off-road with two foot driving. I still enjoy the challenge of getting the touch right crawling over a ledge and not stalling.
I accept the trade offs that come with it now (harder to sell later vs harder for someone to steal, etc). 😉

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Grinding issue makes it sound like a shifting issue, it’s really just a noise issue.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No noise here as well,wouldn't have an auto bronco.
A stick shift and 4 doors were my non-negotiable requirements for the Bronco. Only reason I have one today.

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will say that the manual shifts buttery smooth and the gearing seems to be spot on with the SAS and 4.7's. Had the rattle noise all the time till the temps hit into the 80's yesterday. Now quiet as can be. No regrets.

Appears as though the very latest builds are now coming with the AB transmission (D rings).

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A stick shift and 4 doors were my non-negotiable requirements for the Bronco. Only reason I have one today.
Rumors are the next gen 4runner will offer both, but who wants something you can't take the top or doors off of?

Cleveland-Native

Badlands
First Name
Fry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Ranger, 2009 VW Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2022 Balands SAS with MT. Just over a year and 11K miles. I had a very early problem with the collar sticking when going into reverse. The dealer fixed quickly and I’ve had no trouble with noises or grinding. Very smooth shifting and SO much fun to drive. I’d have to admit, however, that the AT with all the tech is easier to off-road with two foot driving. I still enjoy the challenge of getting the touch right crawling over a ledge and not stalling.
I accept the trade offs that come with it now (harder to sell later vs harder for someone to steal, etc). 😉
Yep I used an AT at one of the off rodeo events. So much fun with one pedal drive and trail turn assist but nothing beats rowing your own

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Our last manual was a Porsche 911. Holding that clutch all the time in LA traffic was a Biatch. But, I do like rowing my own gears. Just been a while now.

Bronccraig

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Challenger RT Hemi Orange
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you read road and track article by Brian Silvestro approx March 2023 articles had nothing to do with NOT ever building MT broncos again but with retooling assembly lines for added ranger builds and that they will return BUT no timeframe..but yes prob 2024..FYI
Sponsored