Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So here is a specific question regarding airing down. What about in sand only? We go on the beach a lot to surf fish (and other things:)) in Delaware and I didn't plan on airing down. I have a Jeep TJ with Wildpeaks and I don't air down. Was hoping not to do this on my Bronco 4D Wildtrak with Sas (on order). Thoughts?
If you’re worried about getting stuck in rutted up or very loose sand, Air-down it will absolutely give you better flotation. I run the beaches on the Tx gulf quite often and they are typically groomed pretty well and don’t air down, and most of the time stay in 2wd, but I damn sure switch to 4wd and engage the rear locker when I see rutted up sand ahead and keep my momentum going. When I get a good air compressor on board I will likely air down to 20psi when we venture way down on the National Seashore where it’s 60 miles of very few people and zero phone service.
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

At off roadeo did you ever exceed 35 mph other than on highway to get there?
There were a couple of straight stretches they told us to go into Baja and hit 40-45, so yes but not that extreme.

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This brings up a good question for those of us without bead lock wheels. I have stock wheels/tires on my 2024 BD. How much can I safely lower my air pressure for off road travel? I don’t rock crawl. Only rough dirt roads with some occasional small boulders.
There's definitely a good balance you have to strike between tire pressure and the kind of Off-Road terrain you are on. Also keep in mind weight too - a completely stock Bronco with no luggage or passengers will be much lighter than a modded one maybe a rooftop tent and gear, etc.

If you don't rock crawl I would go between 15 psi and 18 psi on the stock Sasquatch tires. As I had mentioned earlier in my original post, I had been ripping through the trails and have had no issues at 12 Psi - BUT, I could have also just been really lucky. Moving forward I'll be at 17 psi. The lateral loads I was subjecting the tires to probably was not good....as I probably was maintaining speeds between 25-40mph in almost 10 minute increments as well. I'm seriously just happy I had an epiphany about this lol......Look at all the great answers we are sharing.

Assuming 35s and not 37s:
12 psi - I will be saving for any Rock-Crawling trials I may go on.
17 psi - My regular fast-paced kinda-rocky trails (for increased side-wall stability).
20 psi - For Snow covered trails to deeper snow (maybe lower if I need to "float").
25 psi - For Sandy Dunes.

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So here is a specific question regarding airing down. What about in sand only? We go on the beach a lot to surf fish (and other things:)) in Delaware and I didn't plan on airing down. I have a Jeep TJ with Wildpeaks and I don't air down. Was hoping not to do this on my Bronco 4D Wildtrak with Sas (on order). Thoughts?
Last time I drove in sand I aired down to 18. Airing down was very common at the Outer Banks and air refill stations were nearby for airing back up. Provided good peace of mind and had no issues even in the fluffy sand.

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I shoot for 20 psi for off road fast driving, if it ends up being 17 psi that's about as low as I prefer to go just to allow some safety margin. If I don't want to air up before driving home I may do 25 psi.

Sponsored

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was going to do a POLL but figured it really is only one question - and I wanted to see and read different answers to better understand.

I have a Bronco (2022) and 35in tires (stock ones) and Sasquatch Package. I typically run 12 psi All the time when off-roading.

Recently, I have gotten to really like going fast on trails - Its super nice and challenging. These are rocky trails, not with big boulders of course, but they also have patches of smooth fire-like road and a mix of small to medium sized rocks.....with lots of turns :) I would say my speed varies anywhere from 25mph to 40mph on the rocky, not-so-smooth stuff and sometimes up to 65mph on flatter sections. I'm not a Trophy-Truck (or a Raptor) so I try to stay within limits.

Having said that - is 12 psi safe? I just realized that since i'm not traveling in a straight line and there are tons of undulations and turns, shouldn't my psi be higher to safeguard the lateral loads on my sidewalls while turning? I'm thinking at the very least 15-18 psi.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear them.....and please, feel free to get super nerdy and technical!!!! :)

BRONCO JANE.jpeg
I run 18psi...

And off topic, what lift you have on your bronco, stance looks nice with the stock tires and RTR wheels!

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I run 18psi...

And off topic, what lift you have on your bronco, stance looks nice with the stock tires and RTR wheels!
Thanks man!!!! :) So WAS going to go the KING route.....expensive. I figured why not try out an Eibach Pro Spring Lift Kit? (Springs Only, no shocks). Worst case....I re-sell them if they suck. I cannot say enough good things about them. I should have a full review of them here somewhere....tired finding it but can't. So odd. But yes, the stance is GREAT and also the ride quality VERY MUCH improved - both on and off-road. It's a 2 inch lift. I did want a winch, so I researched the LIGHTEST combo possible for the Winch and Winch Mount - Rough Country won in both cases. Plus the "approach angle" is the best of any winch plate. The TOTAL weight came out to 84 lbs. So my front lost ONLY about 1/2 inch-ish. Kinda works out so when I accelerate it reverts to "level", rather than poking up the bumper ;)

Also, here is a link to my mods and some pics too in case you are interested:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/my-2022-upgrades.60260/

Recently I also installed a 20" light bar from Rough Country (SPECTRUM SERIES). It's fantastic.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...s-20-light-bar-high-winch-mount-videos.90638/

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks man!!!! :) So WAS going to go the KING route.....expensive. I figured why not try out an Eibach Pro Spring Lift Kit? (Springs Only, no shocks). Worst case....I re-sell them if they suck. I cannot say enough good things about them. I should have a full review of them here somewhere....tired finding it but can't. So odd. But yes, the stance is GREAT and also the ride quality VERY MUCH improved - both on and off-road. It's a 2 inch lift. I did want a winch, so I researched the LIGHTEST combo possible for the Winch and Winch Mount - Rough Country won in both cases. Plus the "approach angle" is the best of any winch plate. The TOTAL weight came out to 84 lbs. So my front lost ONLY about 1/2 inch-ish. Kinda works out so when I accelerate it reverts to "level", rather than poking up the bumper ;)

Also, here is a link to my mods and some pics too in case you are interested:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/my-2022-upgrades.60260/

Recently I also installed a 20" light bar from Rough Country (SPECTRUM SERIES). It's fantastic.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...s-20-light-bar-high-winch-mount-videos.90638/
Cool, thanks for the info. How you like the RTR wheels?

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I roll at 18 for the following reasons:

1. Its soft while keeping most of the sidewall away from danger.
2. It doesn't take too long to air back up to 35 for on road driving.
3. I cannot feel a difference between 15 and 18 psi, so, why go that low.
4. Open to going lower for snow wheeling.

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Cool, thanks for the info. How you like the RTR wheels?
I love the RTRs......the weight difference in MAssive from stock. And you will literally FEEL the difference in ride comfort - since there is WAY less MASS bouncing back up against the shock (rebound). All the small bumps and cracks on the road get smoothed out. It's GREAT :). They are also not very expensive and I do highly recommend them!

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

3. I cannot feel a difference between 15 and 18 psi, so, why go that low.
There probably isn't that much difference between 15-18, however going that low, you won't really feel the difference. What you would see is contact patch getting bigger. The big gains, though, are below 12psi (and probably below 10psi), where you can really get a larger contact patch for rock crawling.

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I love the RTRs......the weight difference in MAssive from stock. And you will literally FEEL the difference in ride comfort - since there is WAY less MASS bouncing back up against the shock (rebound). All the small bumps and cracks on the road get smoothed out. It's GREAT :). They are also not very expensive and I do highly recommend them!
Man, thanks is again, some great info. I have really liked both RTR designs, I am torn between both. Thanks again brother! 🍻

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

26-28 for overlanding, with gravel roads and limited pavement. Helps with comfort and a bit more tire protection.

18-20 psi for general offroading.

12-15 for rock crawling, sand, mud, snow etc.

For oh shit moments in a straight line you can go to 8 psi.

But below 15 don't be shocked if you pop a bead, unless you are running bead locks, bead grip, plus the other technologies out there.

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just ran the same trail tonight and tried 15 psi (instead of my normal 12 psi). I think 15 to 16 might be the sweet spot - assuming my tires heat up 2 more psi while running (so 17-18). For me its not too much about "how long I'm doing 30-40mph.....but how the vehicle reacts in those short moments if I need to make last second turns/maneuvers, avoid a rock I didn't see, brake suddenly to avoid a massive dip in the trail, etc. I would say i'd save the 12 psi days for rock-crawling.....but I'm not a big fan of it.

Side note: I've had this "creaking" sound from my undercarriage over the past 3 to 4 weeks....couldn't figure it out and was scared maybe I cracked a link mount or something. Then realized i did install aftermarket arms - Johnny Joints (from RockJock). Took them to shop, they greased them for free and SUPER QUIET now and VERY VERY smooth.......Grease your Joints PeopLe!!!! ☝☝☝ (This is a public service reminder from your fellow Bronco member)
Will do sonny 👴🏻

Luckylat

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Expedition, 2013 VW Wagon, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Regarding airing down the in the sand: I live by the beach in RI and play in the sand with my Bronco often. Still on my 35" GY and have not had to air down yet. Even in the softer, deeper sand left from the recent storms/extreme high tides. My lockers do the trick.
Just in case, I have a tire inflation/deflation kit and air compressor on board.
Sponsored