Sponsored

SMS Exposed Roof Rack installed under soft top!

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How long did it take you to get them? I had them on preorder when they first announced, but after a few months of nothing, I cancelled. Might put an order in again if they are up to speed on production.
Thats’s strange. I talked to them back in December and they were in stock and ready to ship. They answer when you call the number on the site. Small company in PA.
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
At this rate - SMS is the route I’m going. I want to be able to mount my Superlite and awning as needed. Which will be on trips when it’s sure to be nice out (for the most part). I locked in a Bimini during the 20% off Ford sale. My only other setback is having a way to cover/protect the cargo area.

Holding out on BAMF and Archetype Racing to see what them come up with. But, the more I look at Jeeps with Gobi - it’s not for me.

Rus-T

Black Diamond
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thats’s strange. I talked to them back in December and they were in stock and ready to ship. They answer when you call the number on the site. Small company in PA.
That’s probably when I canceled. Right before Christmas. I ordered back in October. Good to know it’s only a few weeks now.

OP
OP
CoffeeSquatch

CoffeeSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you driven highway speed with the bimimi top? I have a thule roof cargo carried Id like to use and the Exposed bars would work. However, a drive from NJ to OBX with the roof open would be a bit loud.
Yes and it's fine, pretty loud, a drive from Jersey to OBX would probably not be the funnest with the top down in all honesty. I live only 2 hours from OBX and I'd probably not do that myself 😂 haha

OP
OP
CoffeeSquatch

CoffeeSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At this rate - SMS is the route I’m going. I want to be able to mount my Superlite and awning as needed. Which will be on trips when it’s sure to be nice out (for the most part). I locked in a Bimini during the 20% off Ford sale. My only other setback is having a way to cover/protect the cargo area.

Holding out on BAMF and Archetype Racing to see what them come up with. But, the more I look at Jeeps with Gobi - it’s not for me.
I'm not sure about the Ford Specific Bimini top as I know they have a bar that crosses the center of the vehicle but I have the Gearshade Bimini top and it works fine.

Sponsored

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Really dig this, but there’s no load limit info?

OP
OP
CoffeeSquatch

CoffeeSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really dig this, but there’s no load limit info?
From my experience with it, I only use it for my kayak but they are SOLID metal, I'm pretty confident I can jump on these things and they'd not even flinch. I would be curious though for like a rooftop tent or something what the weight bearing is.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes and it's fine, pretty loud, a drive from Jersey to OBX would probably not be the funnest with the top down in all honesty. I live only 2 hours from OBX and I'd probably not do that myself 😂 haha
It's not so bad in the hot, sunny days of summer.
The kicker would be those pop up evening storms, stuck in it with an open top and a kayak between you and the pounding rain.
Been there.
It's a life experience that once you have it, you are good not having to ever relive it.
But man, when the weather is good, it is a relaxing drive with the open, salty air, a yak on the roof, and tunes on the speakers.

Kimberley

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That’s probably when I canceled. Right before Christmas. I ordered back in October. Good to know it’s only a few weeks now.
I placed the order at 5:30am this morning and already have a tracking number now so I’m guessing they are in stock.

brnc_o_vrlndr

Badlands
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4-dr non-Sasquatch 7-spd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I am also waiting for a solution for the SuperLite. I will be curious how yours fits. The concern I have with the SMS Exposed rack is not enough support for the rear section of the tent. There is supposed to only be something like 16" of max overhang of the tent from its support at the back of the vehicle. I have not pulled the soft top all the way back to measure where those mounting holes are.

Good luck!

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am also waiting for a solution for the SuperLite. I will be curious how yours fits. The concern I have with the SMS Exposed rack is not enough support for the rear section of the tent. There is supposed to only be something like 16" of max overhang of the tent from its support at the back of the vehicle. I have not pulled the soft top all the way back to measure where those mounting holes are.

Good luck!
That’s a good point. SMS also has those quick release plates that you can offset the mount points to be further apart. Using a set of GFC Quick Release I think you’ll be able to get enough distance between front and rear mounts.

brnc_o_vrlndr

Badlands
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4-dr non-Sasquatch 7-spd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s a good point. SMS also has those quick release plates that you can offset the mount points to be further apart. Using a set of GFC Quick Release I think you’ll be able to get enough distance between front and rear mounts.
Ah, interesting. I had not seen those plates. That could be the solution. My last problem is that I live in Michigan. Weather here is just too unpredictable to commit to no top for a long trip. I know it’s been done a thousand times, just not for me.

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So i got the exposed racks with the kayak attachment. When I tried to get the yak up there i was not able to angle the yak on the mounts as it was too wide. Took them off and it was much easier. The yak doesn’t touch the front windshield but its only a couple inches from it.

I may try loading the yak with the kayak attachment again and try coming over the spare tire.

I have the fixed security trunk so its not a problem leaving it down. I made a couple of rod holders for it and made something for the inside too.

My plan was to cut 2 holes in the soft top so i can attach the kayak mount with the top closed. But ill try like this first to see if i even need it.

6977A31D-0AC2-4491-95B2-679FE47F9BF1.jpeg

B94E513E-724C-46C8-A9D1-26B47F764C4E.jpeg

Brad Fx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@CoffeeSquatch
Thanks for sharing; it’s good to see where these crossbars mount. Does it give you options on where the bars mount or is that it? Also, how long is the Kayak?

I have a 13.5 ft Kayak and have been considering the exposed racks. I have a Yakima Kayak lift assist because the Kayak is 80lbs and not impossible, but a pain to get on the roof by myself. I’m considering 2 kayaks for the future and to support 2 Lift Assists, it requires a 60” bar. In fact, with just 1 lift assist, I’m not sure the standard 48” bar is long enough.

We’ve seen other roof racks, but I just don’t need all that hardware. So it’s it’s exposed racks or if someone offers rails only where I can attach my own crossbars at whatever length I want.

Kimberley

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So i got the exposed racks with the kayak attachment. When I tried to get the yak up there i was not able to angle the yak on the mounts as it was too wide. Took them off and it was much easier. The yak doesn’t touch the front windshield but its only a couple inches from it.

I may try loading the yak with the kayak attachment again and try coming over the spare tire.

I have the fixed security trunk so its not a problem leaving it down. I made a couple of rod holders for it and made something for the inside too.

My plan was to cut 2 holes in the soft top so i can attach the kayak mount with the top closed. But ill try like this first to see if i even need it.

Ford Bronco SMS Exposed Roof Rack installed under soft top! B94E513E-724C-46C8-A9D1-26B47F764C4E

Ford Bronco SMS Exposed Roof Rack installed under soft top! B94E513E-724C-46C8-A9D1-26B47F764C4E
Which kayak mounts did you get? I got the "Y" center mounts and though I have not used them yet I think they any width would work with this style. They are similar type of style to the malone seawing carrier I have been using for the last 5 years for a 12" field and stream eagle run fishing kayak
Sponsored