Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What clip location did you use on the shocks. I read through but didn't see.
Initially I was set at 4 in the front and 3 in the back. I have since changed things. The more preload, the better the bronco drove on road. I have yet to hit a trail since changing my settings but wanted to lower the preload for more comfort during low speed crawling.
Sponsored

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 Hyundai Santa-Fe, 2019 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Initially I was set at 4 in the front and 3 in the back. I have since changed things. The more preload, the better the bronco drove on road. I have yet to hit a trail since changing my settings but wanted to lower the preload for more comfort during low speed crawling.
What did you ultimately decide on? I’m thinking 3 front and back

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What did you ultimately decide on? I’m thinking 3 front and back
I went to 3 in the front and a 1 in the back. My build link is in my signature. I ended up doing some other modification as I killed a CV axle and wanted to go a tad lower.

I really enjoyed the higher preload for daily driving and high speed stuff. I wouldn't be afraid of cranking them up more if you don't rock crawl.

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

clip #3 front and rear. great ride home from the shop. bumps definitely transmit more but overall far better

IMG_7809.jpeg

Sponsored

Cameront9

Big Bend
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
clip #3 front and rear. great ride home from the shop. bumps definitely transmit more but overall far better

Ford Bronco Snacktime's 5100 Bilstein Shocks review & takeaways IMG_7809
About to order these for when I put my new tires on. Thinking the #3 setting too. At that height did you just replace the shocks or did you have to change any of the UCAs or anything else? I heard anything above 2” you start to need new UCAs.

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just the shocks. Added 33”s after that. Still very happy.

IMG_8030.jpeg

Brandonj83

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Happy new year! Just got my 5100s installed on my BD set on clip 4 front and back. Haven’t had it aligned yet but it will definitely need adjusting just by looking at it. It drives good on the road and looks better than I thought it would with the stock steelies/grabbers. I got method 305s ready to go on when ever I get some tires.

Stock vs Lifted

IMG_4906.jpeg

IMG_0640.jpeg

Brandonj83

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sits a hair lower in the front since the alignment. I think it’s perfect. Can’t wait for the tires/wheels.
Ford Bronco Snacktime's 5100 Bilstein Shocks review & takeaways IMG_0663

You can see it was out pretty bad.

IMG_0662.jpeg

Sponsored

Brandonj83

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Brandonj83 Any comments on the ride. I really enjoyed the add firmness over the Hitachi wallowing all over the road.
Definitely like the firmer ride. I remember when I got the Bronco I thought the tires had too much air in them and it felt bouncy. The 5100s are definitely more planted and firm. I got my 315s in today so next weekend I will know how they ride with the bigger tires.

Brandonj83

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Got the Goodyear 315s and methods mounting yesterday. Exactly what I was after. Love the bronze with eruption green and the bilsteins at clip #4 with the 315s ride great. I actually wanted to go with KO2s but I got a nice deal for the Sasquatch tires Brand new under $1000 for all 5. They ride good and aren’t any louder than the stock BD generals.
Ford Bronco Snacktime's 5100 Bilstein Shocks review & takeaways IMG_0680

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Got the Goodyear 315s and methods mounting yesterday. Exactly what I was after. Love the bronze with eruption green and the bilsteins at clip #4 with the 315s ride great. I actually wanted to go with KO2s but I got a nice deal for the Sasquatch tires Brand new under $1000 for all 5. They ride good and aren’t any louder than the stock BD generals.
Really like those wheels!

Kaydee21

Wildtrak
First Name
Khalil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well I finally have enough mileage on my 5100 shocks to say I like them and post my collection of info. 5100's feel stiffer than Hitachi's due to the digressive valving. If you feel your Hitachi shocks are to bouncy the 5100s would be a good purchase for you. If you are sensitive to small bumps in the road and don't want to feel them don't buy 5100's. The biggest change for me is the local speed bumps that are a 20mph bump. These 20mph bumps with the Hitachi suspension was a hard bottom out for me. I can now respectfully drive 40mph over the same bump and no bottoming out. Front 5100's can definitely handle more speed on these bumps but the rear at its limit (losing tire contact with the ground). For $550 they are absolutely a no brainer upgrade since 5100 tend to last 2-3 times longer than factory shock. If your paying someone to install a front lift and want to keep your bronco for a long time your money ahead putting 5100s on.

I would not put 5100's on a SAS bronco, they are the same diameter but missing some of the improvements that SAS shock offers (rebound and reservoirs). If you are looking at replacing SAS shocks after they have worn out I would say these are going to be a good option for similar performance (not an improvement). I couldn't find SAS take offs for fair money so for me the 5100's are a nice upgrade.

Snacktime's bad idea's start here and below...

Hard Numbers for all Bilstein shocks are pretty much the same. Front are almost Identical to factory SAS Shocks, below are 5100's and SAS specs. I believe the shorter collapsed length on the 5100 is the bump stop strike plate design(eats about 5mm or 1/2 cm of travel).

Rear has slightly less travel again I think the strike plate for the bump stops is the reason. The overall shock length is 5.7mm shorter or 1/2cm, which I consider a mute point (if it was more I would have passed on the 5100 and bought take off SAS Shocks).

My ruff math and my issue with Bilstein not being long enough. Below you will see my excel sheet I used to figure out if it was worth buying 5100s and what kind of suspension travel I would get. Below in the blue is stock Front SAS travel and 5100 at 1in (really 5100's are a 1/4 inch less up travel but your not fighting up travel). Same with the rear in yellow. Biggest issue with lifting stock suspension on the road and day to day is running out of droop and lifting a tire. 5100 are being sold as a lift 1" to 3", same as sticking a 2" collar lift on stock SAS shocks. I don't like the idea of running 5100's at 3" ride height with 1.74" of available droop. Since I was looking for as much lift as I can (3.5" to 4" is what is considered safe at this time) and keeping as much down travel as possible. You will see I stuck a spacer lift in with the shocks, this was to keep my down travel. I ended up putting the collars at the green highlighted number. With the added weight of my skids and when I stick my winch on(hiding in the garage) I will most likely lose a 1/2" on the front taking me from 3.8" of lift down to 3.3" (guessing). With the height reduction I should have 2" of down travel. I also have the ability to adjust and add more height to the front if needed. Spacers allow me more droop and hopefully provide a better on road experience over just maxing out the 5100's.

Side shot

Crappy shot of cv angles

Bad ideas

Alignment on stock A-Arms

The End-Please feel free to comment on my bad ideas... as this is a forum.
This is awesome. Thanks for the info! So to sum it up:

You got the B8 5100 shocks only? you're still on stock springs?
Did you need to get bigger tires? looks like 35s in the picture.

thinking of doing the same as Im currently on 33s, with no lift or suspension upgrade.
Sponsored