Southbend Clutch Stage II

Honyock

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 F350, 2004 S211 E500 (22 Base + manual + SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does anyone have any sort of personal feedback on the Southbend clutch kits for these?

I think I hurt my clutch during my last trail outing as it feels a bit less grabby until way at the top of the throw and it was a bit vague and slippy when I took off with a little gusto on the 1-2 shift tonight.

I've done plenty of clutches in my Mustang and my old Dentsides so I am thinking I will just do it myself, will be a good time to install the B&M shifter while I am at it. Haven't done a hydraulic actuated clutch yet, so that will be a little new to me, but this thing looks like there is a lot more space to get at everything than working on the 4.6 in my 2000.
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Following - never done a hydraulic one either.

I had noticed this brand pop up a while back and it had me curious, but I admit I know next to nothing about aftermarket clutches - usually just go to Napa and say "Whaddya got"

https://www.uniclutch.com/

OP
OP
Honyock

Honyock

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am also going to install the Steeda clutch spring to improve the feel.

Maybe I didn't scorch the clutch too bad as I didn't get much of a smell off it. It just feels different all of a sudden, thought I did change my seat location (jacked it up to see the trail better) so maybe it is just a different angle and I was riding the clutch yesterday on that 1-2 shift and it wasn't actually slipping due to wear/damage. It didn't slip again, but I also didn't really get on it hard again after it happened.

I've got 17k on it and I do like the idea of the quicker revving from a 1 piece flywheel, though the Bronco tax is a bit steep. I think I got my Spec Stage 3 clutch and Nodular iron flywheel for my Mustang for like 1/4 of the price of this Southbend setup, but that was like 2006 or 2007...

Regardless of the wear or not, I think I will plan out the swap for a long weekend, I have a 4 day weekend for Easter/Good Friday this year. Also thinking I will replace the slave and throwout bearing assembly and input bearing at the same time since I'll be in there anyway and that is less that $100 total as cheap insurance.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've got on my clutch in some icy/dicey situations - even to the point of it smelling pretty bad and it didn't effect the performance one bit. You must have really smoked it.

The thread that kodiak linked has a bunch of info.

Sponsored

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the Southbend clutch and B&M shifter. The shifter is the best money I've ever spent on upgrades- it is so much more fun to drive.

The Southbend is solid and makes the Bronco better to drive and I am glad I installed it.

Kevin Scarbel

Everglades
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
I've been extremely pleased with South Bend clutches in Dodge/Cummins applications, as well as their clutch hydraulic master/slave assemblies.

OP
OP
Honyock

Honyock

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've got on my clutch in some icy/dicey situations - even to the point of it smelling pretty bad and it didn't effect the performance one bit. You must have really smoked it.

The thread that kodiak linked has a bunch of info.
The reports of the clutch's demise are a bit exaggerated. I tested it out again this morning and it is holding fine. Not sure what it was, it just felt like I was riding the clutch in 2nd like the clutch lever didn't release fully for some reason. Felt more like normal taking the kids to school and going around in traffic. I will keep an eye on it, as an upgrade would be of interest at some point, but I'd like to get the grinding synchros fixed before I do something that Ford could say affects the transmission like going to a single mass flywheel.

I went through that thread later after making my post, that one didn't pop up in the search when I was looking for some reason (may have been too tired) until I created the thread, then I saw it below in the similar threads...

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've noticed my bite point has gotten a lot smoother over time, with less of an "on/off" type feel after nearly 20k miles. This is my first brand new manual transmission, so I'm figuring it's finally broken in. If I let the cluch out in too high of a gear, it still stalls so it's not so much a slipping issue.

I can definitely see where folks also feel that the clutch pedal itself doesn't provide much feedback at times.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 2 of them. VERY happy with them! I like a solid engagement, and these do just that. Only weird little quirk is when they are cold they make a squeak on engagement like race clutches do (and they are 50% race type, so that makes sense). Only hear it when I first roll off in the am and I'm feathering the clutch to manuver in the driveway. If installing yourself you are going to need a "phoenix injector" or equivalent to bleed the system YOU WILL NOT be able to bleed it any other way!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Honyock

Honyock

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the tip on the bleeder. I probably should have one anyway for my old Mercedes that has the SBC system.
I will probably install the clutch at some point, but for now I installed the Steeda spring and it is helping to improve my engagement feel enough that I haven't had a repeat. May have been due to modified seating position with thick soled shoes and a messed up ankle was making it too easy to ride the clutch that day after the 6+ hour trail ride the day before.

I have 2 of them. VERY happy with them! I like a solid engagement, and these do just that. Only weird little quirk is when they are cold they make a squeak on engagement like race clutches do (and they are 50% race type, so that makes sense). Only hear it when I first roll off in the am and I'm feathering the clutch to manuver in the driveway. If installing yourself you are going to need a "phoenix injector" or equivalent to bleed the system YOU WILL NOT be able to bleed it any other way!

burgerking

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I probably won't own the bronco long enough to wear out the stock clutch. I do have some trouble rev matching from 3rd to 2nd. The ratio gap must be bigger than my jeep. I'd like to try the auto rev match but the performance tune isn't out yet for 24 models. The steeda spring made the pedal feel a lot more normal. I'll probably get the B&M shifter eventually but the install looks like it sucks.
Sponsored