First Name
Fourd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Volvo V8 X90R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I apologize in advance if it is poor form to spam this issue. But I think I have read all the posts on this issue to no avail.

The below started popping up in early June and is still happening through this morning. Took it literally the first week of the problem and had towed to dealership. They said nothing mechanical and didn't pop up for them. Pops up totally randomly but shuts down ability to use 4wd and GOAT modes, which stinks.

Scheduled appointment where I bought Bronco. They did software update per this 8/12/22 Technical Service Bulletin: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/attachments/tsb21-2454-pdf.378450/

Guess what. Didn't fix it and spent Labor Day Weekend in the country with no 4wd/GOAT. Any advice or suggested fixes? I really don't want to go into this Winter knowing I might lose 4wd or Slippery mode at any time when there is snow/ice on the ground.

Thanks for any help or advice you may give!

Ford Bronco Sta-Bar Disconnect Sta-Bar Disconnect
Sponsored

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sucks but you are under warranty so back to the dealer. Send them a picture of the alert.

Maybe @Ford Motor Company will chime in to assist

OP
OP

Fourd

Badlands
First Name
Fourd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Volvo V8 X90R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did. Dealership has been great. Just wish there was an identifiable fix after all this time. Thanks!

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My only suggestion is a poor one - buy a bluetooth OBD2 scanner, keep it synced to your phone and wait for the error to pop. I recommend bluetooth as there are no wires to worry about etc. Just keep it plugged in and running until the error comes back.

https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/

This is my recommended scanner. Also works with FORSCAN if you ever need/want to disabled double honk, change tire sizes etc. Also comes with decent software.

Doing this will allow you to see in real time any error codes that pop up. I chased down a loose ground with this method and it was fairly simple.

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You should still be able to shift the transfer case via the buttons in normal mode to get whatever 4wd state you want. SB disco is controlled by a dedicated module called CHCM (chassis control module). Any codes related to sway bar disco failure will be in the CHCM, not the 4wd control, or abs. If there are no codes in the CHCM, but communication error codes in the other modules it is possible the CHCM is shutting off due to bad ground or loss of power. It gets power from the battery junction box, which alot of people have found loose bolts/connectors on...so check that for sure. There are 2 grounds it uses, one for the module itself is located in the drivers side quarter trim (not easily accessible) and the ground for the relay that powers the module is on the passenger side inner fender (should be easily visible underhood), so give that one a wiggle to make sure it's tight. As the above post said...loose grounds can be a royal PITA to find, but an easy fix once you find it!
Sponsored