Sponsored

Switching between hard top and soft top. Which to buy?

TNbroncogirl5

Wildtrak
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe RST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi!
I am in the research phase before purchasing. I want to be able to switch between soft top and hard top seasonally. I am trying to figure out which configuration would be easiest to start with to then switch to the other. I know the soft top comes with the brackets so that is a bonus but the hard top comes with the defroster and wiper mechanics installed. If the soft top doesn’t have the hard top prep kit, is that something that can easily be ordered?

If you have both, which one did you start with or would you recommend starting with for
Sponsored

coadr

Badlands
First Name
Coady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you're only doing one of the two and not the dual top as mentioned above, order the hard top and buy the soft top second hand.

OP
OP

TNbroncogirl5

Wildtrak
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe RST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s marginally easier to add the hardtop to an OEM soft top equipped Bronco.

That said, you’ll pay way more of a premium for a second hand or after-market hardtop.
That’s what I was thinking too. Thanks for your input!

Sponsored
OP
OP

TNbroncogirl5

Wildtrak
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe RST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you're only doing one of the two and not the dual top as mentioned above, order the hard top and buy the soft top second hand.
Thank you! I am planning to buy one off the lot vs ordering one. Seems to be a better value to buy a hard top and order a soft top after the fact.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you! I am planning to buy one off the lot vs ordering one. Seems to be a better value to buy a hard top and order a soft top after the fact.
Coming from the Jeep world, I always recommended buying with hardtop due to aftermarket cost and OEM top being nice, and then buying from a selection of soft tops afterwards. But the issues with the Bronco hardtop and lack of having many aftermarket soft tops to choose from, throws a wrench into the equation. Still if you will want a hardtop, I'd go with hardtop and get soft top later.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You'll have to look at prices.

On the surface it is substantially cheaper to buy a hard top Bronco now and order a soft top for your Bronco later. As @MNBigfoot mentioned, aftermarket hard tops are around $6500, while aftermarket soft tops are around $2000.

BUT... it is much harder to find available hard top Broncos and if you wait too long you'll be risking even more price increases, particularly once 2024MY launches. On top of that, hard tops are more sought after than soft tops, and they are selling at a higher price on dealer lots. In my local area hard tops are routinely being sold at $4000 - $7000 more than the soft top even though it's only a $2000 upgrade if you buy it from the factory.

So... you'll have to include all of that in your calculations. On the surface hard top is the obvious choice, but it may turn out that soft top is the better option.

OP
OP

TNbroncogirl5

Wildtrak
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe RST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You'll have to look at prices.

On the surface it is substantially cheaper to buy a hard top Bronco now and order a soft top for your Bronco later. As @MNBigfoot mentioned, aftermarket hard tops are around $6500, while aftermarket soft tops are around $2000.

BUT... it is much harder to find available hard top Broncos and if you wait too long you'll be risking even more price increases, particularly once 2024MY launches. On top of that, hard tops are more sought after than soft tops, and they are selling at a higher price on dealer lots. In my local area hard tops are routinely being sold at $4000 - $7000 more than the soft top even though it's only a $2000 upgrade if you buy it from the factory.

So... you'll have to include all of that in your calculations. On the surface hard top is the obvious choice, but it may turn out that soft top is the better option.
Great points to consider. Thank you for your input!

Sponsored

Pdaddy

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I waited an extra year to get my 2022 bronco with the hard top and I just received the Bestop slant back soft this week.
I think the Bestop soft top looks nicer/tighter than the factory soft top so that’s the direction I would go.

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My point is tied to what Wardognal posted above. If you elect to buy a soft top first, I’d save up a little more money and get the Advanced Fiberglass hardtop. I like the slant back look, which is just personal preference, but the build quality seems much better than the Ford top since it uses injected foam for the middle layer instead of cardboard. Time will tell how those tops hold up but Ford has already set the bar low lol.
Sponsored