Sponsored

Technophobes: How Scared Is Too Scared?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The funny flip side to that is the propane I put on my 400 way before aftermarket TB EFI kits
were decent, relatively cheap, and mostly self tuning. No sensors, only one moving part and it runs exactly
the same dead rich, as it does at stoich (just smells like a gas grill out the exhaust more when it's rich).
It even runs upside down, LOL!!

(Skip to 2:50 if you don't want to see me wasting time on that hill)

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/RAUSCH CREEK/29 NOV 08/MOV02002.MPG

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's old and low quality, but it plays on my WIN10 machine with whatever that comes with.
Bottom line is I went upside down and I didn't remember at first to shut it off. It would have run
until it blew up from no oil pressure I guess. I do plan on going back to TB EFI at some point,
since those 10 gallon pane tanks are 100 lbs full, and a PIA.

Sponsored

Rocket

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We cant stop the progress of technology it is part of the human spirit to make things better. I remember the 70’s and 80’s vehicles, we live in great times. Factory vehicles that have awesome power and brakes and many features can be changed from the drivers seat. I love my 78 Bronco since I rebuilt my 400 with decent power and dependability. But my 2017 F150 with a 302 is a much more user friendly truck, best of both worlds.

Look forward to the new Bronco.

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
ehhh....I don't trust a guy who's job is to sell new cars. haha!

OP
OP

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Exactly. I'm all for nostalgia and cars with "personality", but many of the endearing qualities we remember don't have a place in a daily driver now that we know how convenient and reliable a modern machine can be. We too quickly forget all the things you mentioned, and more...

Funny thing is, the guy on that Jeep forum is going to go through a major and expensive alteration process to make a vehicle that is easier for him to work on - in his mind. After all that cost and effort, he's going to be blessed with making an easy to work on car, because he'll have to work on it all the time. And the sad truth is, modern cars are easier to repair and tune electronically - you just have to learn a few new skills.

The fact that you can start a modern car and drive it away without fiddling with a choke, letting it idle for 10 minutes is quite simply a game-changer. I drove my girlfriend's '86 Bronco the other day, first cold morning we've had in a while. Let it warm up for a few minutes, backed out of the driveway and down the street to the stop sign. Press the accelerator to leave the stop, carburetor backfires, stumbles, and truck nearly stalls. Now for the rest of the drive, I have a lack of confidence pulling out into traffic. That's the kind of stuff I don't miss - sure, I can tune it out, but I don't want to have to be a carburetor monkey on my primary transportation.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We cant stop the progress of technology it is part of the human spirit to make things better. I remember the 70’s and 80’s vehicles, we live in great times. Factory vehicles that have awesome power and brakes and many features can be changed from the drivers seat. I love my 78 Bronco since I rebuilt my 400 with decent power and dependability. But my 2017 F150 with a 302 is a much more user friendly truck, best of both worlds.

Look forward to the new Bronco.
yeah, don't get me wrong, I love my 60s/70s cars and trucks. but most of it is simply the rumble and shake, and the looks. but damn those yearly top end rebuilds, quarterly carb tunes, drum brakes, no power steering, a tinny stereo. Those I Can live without. And you die in a 25mph collission. Those I can live without. Old styling, new everything else, great. Granted, can't QUITE do old styling with new safety standards....

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Through this journey, I have seen the cycle of suspicion, contempt, and outright fear exhibited by naysayers toward new technology. It's healthy to question, and a certain amount of questioning results in improvement - but there is a point where it becomes counterproductive. Where would we be today if fear of technology had won at each step, squashing each advancement? Sure, we could all live there... but given the choice, would we?
"Advancement" can be a loaded word.

Computer control of the combustion process has lead to improvements in efficiency and power. Also less maintenance of mechanical items that can wear and need adjustments. For example, other than for novelty factor, probably few people miss having to regularly re-gap points in a distributor. :)

A downside? My computer controlled Jeep TJ is throwing a "large emissions vacuum leak" related trouble code. There are several components, sensors and processors involved with this issue. It is related to the emissions system. I've been going through the various components trying to find the reason for the code, so far without luck. I never had this problem on my 1970 CJ-5, because my CJ-5 didn't have any of the troublesome emissions components. The CJ-5 was rock solid for me. The CJ-5 carburetor did not have the combustion control afforded by computer controlled FI, and I even had to manually choke it when starting, using a pull cable on the dash. On the other hand, basically the entire fuel delivery system of my Cj-5 could be removed and replaced (carb) in the span of a half hour for $150 or so.

As I've mentioned in some other threads here, there can be a significant divide between persons who drive newer vehicles, and persons who drive older vehicles. A guy buying a new vehicle which he unloads after a few years, might consider certain items as "advancements". On the other hand, a guy (often me) buying the vehicle later down the road, might be cursing those so called "advancements", lol.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I never had this problem on my 1970 CJ-5, because my CJ-5 didn't have any of the troublesome emissions components. The CJ-5 was rock solid for me.
^Words of someone who hasn’t worked on a carbed vehicle with smog control. The only one I’ve worked on is my buddy’s FJ60, fuck that noise. All the vacuum hoses and rats nest... so damn obnoxious.
Sponsored