Tell me I'm not alone.

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Get the one you want. 6 trims make it a tough choice, but hey nice having choice.

The more I think about it the base Sasquatch 2.7 engine is what I am leaning towards. For me the Sasquatch and the engine are the two most important things for me. Agree with others that can get seat covers, and washout floors are nice, but weather tech mats could do the trick.
Sponsored

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Not alone, went from BL non-sas, high, to Baseaquatch/v6/switches/rack. I too like to modify my cars and look forward to making it mine. A baseaquatch will be more than capable for any trail I feel comfortable taking on. In addition I can use the saved $10k+ on mods, vacations, gear, investing ect. I know off roading is going to give it some scratches and dents as well. I would feel less bad about taking on cosmetic damage and enjoying the trails on the base vs. banging up a loaded 50k truck. Like it's been said a million times here get what you want and can afford.
Base Sas 4 dr in green. I wanted a car the three kids can ride in with a front locker. 44k. I think Iā€™ll love this and have for a long time. BUT I keeping thinking I should think about getting a fancy one with camera etc.. what do we do?

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Get the one you want. 6 trims make it a tough choice, but hey nice having choice.

The more I think about it the base Sasquatch 2.7 engine is what I am leaning towards. For me the Sasquatch and the engine are the two most important things for me. Agree with others that can get seat covers, and washout floors are nice, but weather tech mats could do the trick.
I did get switches and roof rack. But I DONT have a VIN. šŸ¶

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I ended up going base Sasquatch with 2.7 mod bumper and mic top and Iā€™m glad I did. Came out at 43,900 and I had money for lift wheels tires and some accessories and Iā€™m still in a pretty good spot. After driving a good many miles Iā€™m glad with my decision
Good point, especially since the 4 door is a bit more expensive than the 2 door (like I got). A 2 door OBX 2.7 advanced 4x4 with LUX and TOW ran me 47,900 and it probably would have been another $2000 or more for a 4 door.

TiredOldMedic

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mercury Grand Marquis, 86 Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've decided on going Big Bend after a ton of debate. I was able to drive around a Wildtrak for a day and loved it. I love the idea of the Badlands and Black Diamond for the floors, but have worries about water getting under the rubber mat and not getting back out. If you look at the wat the floor is laid into those two trims, there are holes for the rear vents on the floor and where the seatbelts are who knows where else.

MGV seats are pretty awesome, but in the winter, those are going to be cold seats and the summer, I believe that they are going to be hot.

Based on all of that, I was really leaning towards a base, but in the end, I thought that going Big Bend was a pretty good upgrade.

It gave me above the base: tinted windows, leather wrapped steering wheel, an additional GOAT mode (Mud and Ruts), allowed me to pick the interior color trim I wanted (I went SandStone), gave me all the grab handles and allowed me to go to the Mid Package interior (which is the highest I was willing to go).

What I lost from either Black Diamond or Badlands: underneath full length bash plates, one GOAT mode (Rock Crawl or Baja, depending on what trim you are looking at).

If I could have ordered a Black Diamond with cloth I probably would have done that. I could have gone Badlands, non-SAS, base interior for about the same price as the Big Bend with SAS that I ordered, but I think I would have had buyer's remorse not having SAS.

Money is a factor for me. My price before taxes on my build is approx $45,100 before taxes. This will be the most I've ever paid for a vehicle. I have owned a few Shelby GT500s (one was new, one was used) and a few new F-150s.

I envy people that money is not a factor and they can order a $50k plus vehicle without batting an eye. Other than vehicles or my house, I pay cash for everything. This is a second vehicle for me that I do not need, but want for fun. I figure a few years down the road, I will probably be able to trade in my Big Bend for a lightly used Badlands as I'm guessing 98% will not go off road beyond a light trail. In the mean time, I will upgrade my Big Bend with armor underneath, change out the front and rear bumpers as my budget and aftermarket permits and enjoy riding with the top down with my five year old little guy šŸ˜ He and I will hit the trails, go camping and see where the winds take us....Probably mostly from the pickup line at school to home šŸ˜‚
Your kid will be the bomb of the pickup line getting out of that Bronco!! As a reference the first house I ever built was in 1985 and cost 55K, this Bronco will be 2k more.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did base Base, if BaseManSquatch was available, I'd have been all over that.
That is my only potential regret.
I have 2100 miles on it thus far, since Oct 8th.

I came into this fully expecting to drop 55 to 58k, I had been hoping for a new Bronco for decades ... then my priorities changed sometime after B&P. I spent like 32k, lol.
Part of my reasoning was looking at this first Bronco as a learning experience. There were no models back then to test drive.
Next one will be a more door.
Next one will most likely be Squatched. (unless I go Badlands)

Like you, the value aspect started to really bug me.
The 5k Big Bend tax for essentially nothing REALLY REALLY gnawed at me.
Cost vs benefit comparisons between models was maddening.

In the end , if you are a value shopper, you will end up at either Base, Base Squatch or Badlands.

BEWARE .... it is very easy to make a Black Diamond more expensive than a Badlands and you'll essentially end up having less equipment.

Big Bend and Black Diamond are ok at best, as long as you do not Squatch.
As soon as you add Squatch, you are at or above Badlands cost , again, possibly with less equipment.

Part 2:
The driving experience.
Yet another reason I went Base. After decades of dreaming how I'd rebuild either my 69 Bronco or order a mythical new one, I realized that the very plain jane utility of the classic Broncos is what makes them so attractive.

2100 miles in, the only thing I really want is heated seats .... but certainly not for $8k and at the expense of losing the manual.
They can be done aftermarket FAR FAR cheaper.
($8k = 5k Big Bend tax + 1500Mid + 1500 auto)

If you haven't test driven one yet, let me tell you, as a Classic Bronco owner, I teared up once I got behind the wheel I saw that iconic hoodline out in front of me.
....and the suspension work they did... OUT FRICKEN STANDING!!! This thing rides and handles great.

I have some nit picks, but nothing major.
Any questions , feel free to ask. I love talking about this thing! LOL
Ford Bronco Tell me I'm not alone. 20211023_122958

Ford Bronco Tell me I'm not alone. 20211023_122602

I am a 7/1 res holder, got pushed to 2022 so I went to dealer and finalized a 2022 badlands (green), MT, high package and roof rack. No other extras. Around 47k

I keep going back to, all I really want is a pure driving experience.
But I got sucked into the glam of the fancy cameras, washout flooring, fancy extra goat modes and that slick swaybar disconnect.

So here is where I'm wondering if I'm crazy because it's almost and obsession.

I keep building a base mansquatch (green), roof rack, aux switches, and floor liners.
Comes in around 38k.

Nearly 10k cheaper.

So I'm in a tailspin of is the badlands really 10k better? After the shinny newness fades away, all I will really care about is wheeling and overlanding.

The washout lining and seats sound great to me because I take my dogs with me everywhere, but I do that now in my cloth seat ranger.

It's not a money issue but who doesn't want to save some cash if they can.

Anyways I'm rambling. Just hoping I'm not alone and if anyone wants to weigh in I'd be happy to listen. Just wanted to get this off my chest.

Lastly I'm considering buying some base wheels or similar with some basic tires for everyday driving. If I change to base mansquatch.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@HoosierDaddy while I largely agree with you on Base or Badlands appear to be the most logical landing spots, there is an argument for the OBX as the one other reasonable answer (despite the ugly wheels). The narrow exception to landing on the Badlands or Base logic is the OBX with the Lux package. The OBX is simply the last expensive way to get a Bronco with adaptive cruise control (otherwise I would be one of those base people).

OP
OP
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reserved BadLands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did base Base, if BaseManSquatch was available, I'd have been all over that.
That is my only potential regret.
I have 2100 miles on it thus far, since Oct 8th.

I came into this fully expecting to drop 55 to 58k, I had been hoping for a new Bronco for decades ... then my priorities changed sometime after B&P. I spent like 32k, lol.
Part of my reasoning was looking at this first Bronco as a learning experience. There were no models back then to test drive.
Next one will be a more door.
Next one will most likely be Squatched. (unless I go Badlands)

Like you, the value aspect started to really bug me.
The 5k Big Bend tax for essentially nothing REALLY REALLY gnawed at me.
Cost vs benefit comparisons between models was maddening.

In the end , if you are a value shopper, you will end up at either Base, Base Squatch or Badlands.

BEWARE .... it is very easy to make a Black Diamond more expensive than a Badlands and you'll essentially end up having less equipment.

Big Bend and Black Diamond are ok at best, as long as you do not Squatch.
As soon as you add Squatch, you are at or above Badlands cost , again, possibly with less equipment.

Part 2:
The driving experience.
Yet another reason I went Base. After decades of dreaming how I'd rebuild either my 69 Bronco or order a mythical new one, I realized that the very plain jane utility of the classic Broncos is what makes them so attractive.

2100 miles in, the only thing I really want is heated seats .... but certainly not for $8k and at the expense of losing the manual.
They can be done aftermarket FAR FAR cheaper.
($8k = 5k Big Bend tax + 1500Mid + 1500 auto)

If you haven't test driven one yet, let me tell you, as a Classic Bronco owner, I teared up once I got behind the wheel I saw that iconic hoodline out in front of me.
....and the suspension work they did... OUT FRICKEN STANDING!!! This thing rides and handles great.

I have some nit picks, but nothing major.
Any questions , feel free to ask. I love talking about this thing! LOL
20211023_122958.jpeg

20211023_122602.jpeg
You singlehandedly nailed exactly what I'm trying to express. I mean to a T!

I have extremely fond memories of my uncle and his classic bronco growing up. It's one of my main memories of us going camping and exploring the outdoors. Infact I'm naming my bronco after him.

This is about value for me. I see little to no value in any trims other than base sasquatch and badlands. I tried making a build with any other trim and all roads lead to badlands for value. Otherwise base mansquatch was the bang for buck with all I need and nothing I couldn't be without.

I don't care for the mid package. Infact the only pack that appealed to me was high and that's only because I think the camera system is neat and usable. But 10k neat? I have wheeled in my Tacoma for the last nearly 15 years and not once had swaybar disconnect. So maybe I have no idea what I'm missing. Hell the front lockers alone will be new to me.

Manual transmission is 100% a must for me. Until I leased my ranger I never owned an auto and I absolutely hate it. The transmission that is, not the truck as a whole. In truth the truck has adaptive cruise control and It broke the first 6 months I owned the truck. Ford had it in shop 11 times because it was faulty. Left a bad impression. In the end it got fixed and works amazing but it does on occasion freak out and thinks a car 2 lanes over that's exiting in front of me and will slam the breaks. More times than not I wish I could turn it off in favor of old school cruise control.

Maybe I just like being in control. I have no idea.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Scope creep is real. Buy what you want and you will enjoy it. Sounds like the Base Squatch is what you want, so buy it and enjoy it. Spend the extra money on travel and trips in the Bronco or parts.

I wouldn't listen to other people justifying why they decided to spend $10-$15k more...their rationale doesn't impact you.

Seacat

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 VW Touareg TDI R-Line
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't worry, We are not alone... šŸ‘½ šŸ˜†

bishop0577

Base
First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door base/sqatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went with Base Sasquatch with aux switches, floormats and the 2.7 engine. It covered all of my wants and left me $$$ to do my own upgrades. I couldn't be happier (took delivery 10/2). A vehicle is a bad investment, so don't worry about resale and get exactly what you want.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I thought about it, a base sas version is $13k cheaper then my BL version. In the end since I will be doing long travel with my Bronco, I went with the bells / whistles. If it wasnt for that, Base Sas is the real deal.

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Iā€™m seeing similar statements: badlands because crazy off-road. Honest question: What canā€™t a base sas do? Auto sway disconnect is it, right? Is the throttle too sensitive in an base auto to rock crawl that you need a goat mode to remap the throttle? Thatā€™s the only other thing I can think might hinder a base sas and I donā€™t even know itā€™s true.

also, if the throttle sensitivity is an issue, are there any options to tweak the map manually through obdii or a piggy back system?
You can have this conversation when comparing A wrangler sport to a Rubicon, but from a Basesquatch to a badlands...you really can't. You can disconnect the sway bar in a base in 5 mins and you have a rig that's just a capable as the badlands. Yes, you're missing the skid plates and rock rails but that's it from an off-road standpoint. I suspect the off-road purist will reach for the basesquatch every time. I also suspect that most badlands won't go off-road...
Sponsored