First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree that Ford keeps dropping cars I like. My wife loves her C-Max, but in this case, I'm glad they dropped it to make room for the Bronco.
But I have to disagree with you on Lincolns. we really like the new styling and are planning to replace the C-Max with a Corsair hybrid.
I would love to see a Mustang derived Lincoln Mark IX.
The new Lincolns look great, but Lincoln's have too many gizmos that can break. Our cmax doesn't have nav or automatic hatch lift. I do like the 55 mpg and the car drives like a dream
Sponsored

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The new Lincolns look great, but Lincoln's have too many gizmos that can break. Our cmax doesn't have nav or automatic hatch lift. I do like the 55 mpg and the car drives like a dream
We have nav (but it's not up to date) and automatic hatch. We really haven't had any issues with the vehicle, and it's lived most of it's life outside.
Don't think we could go back to not having the automatic hatch, but with regard to Nav, I prefer Apple CarPlay & Waze.

LRDiscovery2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover Discovery 2, Lexus GS450h
Funny, I was thinking almost the same thing. I hope Ford doesn't waste resources shipping Broncos to locations like Norway!
That is not "almost the same thing". It's a totally different thing.

LRDiscovery2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I totally agree. There's a lack of design effort to the roof line and the top rear of the car. The back is too vertical, but not in a cool way like on the Land Rover Defender. Maybe I'll buy an other Land Rover instead.

Then again, this 2-door rendering looks amazing in profile and dont seem so far off from the actual thing, so who knows. Too early to tell.

Ford Bronco The gripe thread. 2021-bronco-2-door-side-with-hardtop-1583720670

Last edited:

LRDiscovery2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modern autos are much faster than manuals. That can't really be debated. Even sportbikes are heading that way
Now that finally a few americans have learned to somewhat handle a stick, automatic gearboxes are far superior. American manual-lovers are too late to the party.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

No, it's true. Only in this last generation of cars over the last 5-10 years basically, but the modern torque converter autos like the ZF 8 speed and the GM/Ford 10 speed are faster than a manual trans, in a straight line OR around a track with corners. They shift really really quick and have more gears so can keep the engine in the power band more. Dual clutch is even better still.

Used to be that the torque converter auto you would give up a couple mpg and a little time 0-60 because you lost some power to the torque converter that you didn't in the manual. Nowadays it's the other way around.
Ok, what do you do when you hit a corner? Me, I brake hard, push the clutch in, drop into the gear that will have me at the best point to accelerate when I hit the gas in the apex, the let clutch out to help decelerate, and brake off / stomp on the gas at the apex. With a pdk you have to paddle down several gears, with an auto : unless youā€™re either in ā€œmanual modeā€ and clicking up and down gears or at the mercy of it deciding when to downshift and what gear to be in when you hit the gas. (This is especially gratifying in an old aircooled 911, where if youā€™ve done it wrong you went ass end off the road, but when youā€™ve done it right you have launched a rocket in the back half of a curve after a kamikazi run into it.)

Nope, you give up control, control of the art.

That is in the pure driving sense excluding practical reasons in the case of a Bronco.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I agree completely on that. Most of the new Bronco looks great, but that ass end screams Jeep. Which is probably why earlier in the thread alot of people griped about no roll down window or tailgate! (myself included).

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No, the point of saying 'autos are faster' is because it's true. If you go into the showroom and have the choice between an identical car with an auto and a manual, the car with the auto will be faster. If you then take all the same performance enhancing measures on both, the auto car will still be faster. Just because someone wants to keep their carpets doesn't mean they don't care about having a car with better performance.

For one example, if you wanted to take your stock C7 Corvette to autocross and compete in stock class, you are better off having the automatic transmission than the manual. It's just straight faster.

I'm not dumping on manual transmissions, I prefer them as well. There are lots of reasons to want to have a manual transmission, but with modern cars, outright performance is not one of them.
So ultimately, this sounds to me more like a very specific scenario being pawned off as ALWAYS being the case

"AUTOS ARE FASTER!"
*if in the same car equipped exactly the same driven in the same conditions with drivers of the exact same skill level driving at the same place at the same time*

That is exactly why that scapegoat is bullshit. Hell, for the $2k extra that autos usually cost, I guarantee you'd be able to modify the manual enough to take a dump right on that auto's chest

I'm not saying that autos aren't ever faster, which is why I said that you're completely missing my point. I'm just saying "autos are faster" is a total bullshit excuse as to why to get one. If you're sacrificing how enjoyable your driving experience is in the same of a tenth of a second, you'd be better off stripping out all your seats and carpet and speakers and such. Just fucking say you prefer autos, don't try to tell me my choice is wrong because you're too much of a bitch to face repercussion for saying you like something

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So - after reading the comments - that the ass looks like a Jeep - (which I really don't mind anyway, going on the theory that all pickups look the same anyway, purpose built, will have the same style). I would make one change.
Make it so you can remove the spare tire from the, make it so the door in the back has a tailgate that looks good without the tire.
Tire can be mounted inside, on the hood, or, under the car - or just get AAA and fix a flat.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I agree completely on that. Most of the new Bronco looks great, but that ass end screams Jeep. Which is probably why earlier in the thread alot of people griped about no roll down window or tailgate! (myself included).
The top of the sides have an EB shape, but I agree, swing out tire carrier and tail gate (even without the glass which an EB didnā€™t have) would change the vibe. Also a white top.

Sponsored

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You have infinitely more control with a manual than an auto. Whether that is winding out the the engine into the redline, quickly shifting into overdrive as you top a hill, using the engine as a brake or keeping the car in gear and let the clutch grab, then freewheel, then grab, or as brake when you enter and shifting the car at the exact time, ensuring no oversteer or understeer. A manual gives you so many more options AND that is WHY most sports cars came / come with a manual. Computer are good, but humans are better. No Auto can outdrive a competent human with a manual.

Period.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Really though, letā€™s get back on topic. We donā€™t wanna look like the SFA guys turning every thread into an auto vs manual debate

I definitely am not a fan of how much the back end looks like a Jeep, and the fender flares certainly do it no favors. I canā€™t wait to replace them when I get my Bronco

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
DAMMIT

The last two times I started a good argument on this forum, there were good leaks.

I start the mother of all automotive arguments in this thread and...NOTHING. No new leak.

BOOOOOOOOOOO

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
DAMMIT

The last two times I started a good argument on this forum, there were good leaks.

I start the mother of all automotive arguments in this thread and...NOTHING. No new leak.

BOOOOOOOOOOO
I mean, we got a leak that the Bronco reveal party got cancelled due to corona virus... ?
Sponsored