The IFS vs SFA Thread

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The reason those factory accessories are selling is precisely because they're trying to emulate the real hard core enthusiasts.

Ford wants those sales too -- so those real hard core users need to exist for the rest to emulate. If the BroncoBronco is shunned by the real enthusiasts then the poser dollars won't exist for Ford.

F150 and Ranger Raptor sales are driven by the image of the trophy truck racers -- 900hp, long suspension, high speed, super wide. It remains to be seen what Ford intends the image of the Bronco to be, but trophy truck is going to be difficult with its form.
"Poser Dollars". Another great term coined.
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That apply to ESP? It appeared like some of the ford factory tunes or superchargers were not cover-able under extended warantee

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
You are right that the 5.0L is a wide engine, but somehow Ford has installed DOHC V8s into the Mustang which certainly isn't a full size vehicle for the last 24 years. With a clean sheet design such as the Bronco, they could certainly fit a 5.0L if they wanted to. While the new 7.3L is narrower than a 5.0L, it is significantly longer due to its much larger bore spacing, and surely a good bit heavier with its iron block. When I mentioned "competitors" (I specifically did not mention Bronco competitors) I was referring to Ford's competitors' midsize vehicles, not the Wrangler or 4Runner (which was available with a V8 at one point). Jeep has been stupid not offering a 5.7L Hemi option for the Wrangler. The AEV conversions look factory and for the $1,500 premium over the V6 (Based on Ram 1500 pricing), I am sure V8 Wranglers would sell like hot cakes. I am sure the reason they don't is because they don't want to hurt their CAFE ratings despite a V8 option being something people have been clamoring for
1. The mustang is literally designed around fitting a V8 in a smaller vehicle. Like, that is #1 or #2 on the big ā€˜ol list of design parameters that a Mustang has. The Bronco it was deemed my guess is very early on not something that was needed.

2. The ā€œnewā€ T6 sounds like it is not completely clean sheet, just a major overhaul. If the original T6 couldnā€™t even fit a V6 some serious redesigning would be needed for a V8, possibly with other compromises being needed. Ford deemed it not worth it.

3. So I donā€™t know why you brought up V8 competitors at all? Iā€™m sure Jeep would love to stuff a hemi in the wrangler but there is pretty obviously reasons itā€™s not practical. Keep in mind this is the same company that stuck a damn hellcat engine in a grand Cherokee. The fact that the wrangler remains with the top engine being a V6 diesel after all these years means there are likely very difficult barriers to putting a V8 in there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

To be fair, jeep said a hellcat motor DOES fit in the Wrangler, but it wouldn't pass DOT.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford "unintentionally" made the Bronco easily accept the 5.0 ... stranger things have happened - hell a 2JZ-GTE is almost a direct swap in to a Pontiac Solstice after all

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford tell us something soon!! This is starting to get ridiculous with the amount of people that are excited for you to bring the Everest to the US market with a retro body on it.
Everyone that wants a Ford 4Runner should have been telling Ford to bring the Everest as it is over to the US for the last decade+. There is too much hype over the Bronco for Ford to do that to the enthusiasts which the Bronco should be designed for.
Why wouldnā€™t they plan to put a V8 in the Bronco from the beginning given your analogy of the mustang?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why wouldnā€™t they plan to put a V8 in the Bronco from the beginning given your analogy of the mustang?
Because the V8 isnā€™t what makes a Bronco a Bronco. The first Bronco had a 2.7l 6 cylinder (sound familiar?). The Bronco is going to be about capability and the V8 doesnā€™t add much.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ya and so was the Mustang, which motors made them icons?
So what youā€™re saying is because the Bronco had 1 6cyl motor as itā€™s only option for 1 year of production thatā€™s what makes the Bronco a Bronco not the generations and take rate of the V8 Broncos.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ya and so was the Mustang, which motors made them icons?
So what youā€™re saying is because the Bronco had 1 6cyl motor as itā€™s only option for 1 year of production thatā€™s what makes the Bronco a Bronco not the generations and take rate of the V8 Broncos.
I donā€™t think the V8 part of the Bronco is what made it an icon. Unpopular opinion: I donā€™t really give a shit about engine cylinder count honestly. Literally doesnā€™t matter. I care about reliability and thatā€™s it. If a V8 is an option sure itā€™s cool but I literally put everything else that is a characteristic of a ā€œBroncoā€ above a V8.

Sponsored

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Exactly my point. You would be happy with anything Ford put a Bronco badge on, youā€™ll keep it stock so you can say it performs as good as any stock competitor, and push every button and trail mode you can so it drive the trails for you.
That is not a vehicle for the enthusiast.
I hope they bring the Everest over as is for you, you can even get a diesel.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford is afraid they won't be able to keep up with demand if they offer the 5.0 with a manual and SFA (sarc). At least they're not using a NA minivan v6.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because the V8 isnā€™t what makes a Bronco a Bronco... The Bronco is going to be about capability and the V8 doesnā€™t add much.
At this point it's still pretty hard to decipher what Ford thinks the Bronco is 'about'. What we have heard repeatedly though is that Ford has tried to replicate the aesthetic qualities of the EB from pretty much every person who has seen it.

The auditory and physical rumble of a V8 is a significant component of that Bronco aesthetic for a lot of people, just as it is for the Mustang.
Sponsored