The IFS vs SFA Thread

BAUS67

First Name
redneck
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 13 Explorer XLT, 97 Jeep Wrangler
here is one for the IFS guys. This is long, like almost an hour but it is the first lap of KOH which is all high speed and some rocks you could drive your KIA on, but if you watch in the whoop sections you can really see the body movement compared to the tire movement.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
here is one for the IFS guys. This is long, like almost an hour but it is the first lap of KOH which is all high speed and some rocks you could drive your KIA on, but if you watch in the whoop sections you can really see the body movement compared to the tire movement.

LFAO!
You will ROLL a Kia taking that “flat” section in a Kia.
Hence why the IFS guys were averaging a MUCH higher speed in that section.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 86 Capri 5.0, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
I've already put up a separate post of a killer IFS design, that at least maximizes clearance (doesn't help articulation,
but you can't have it all). From what spy shots I have seen, Ford is not putting out anything like it. So I'm not sure
what else there is to talk about.

My personal pet peeve with IFS is the stupid rubber boot covered CV's.
MANY times, having a rig that can literally blaze it's own trails without even being able to see
the terrain floor (server brush and/or hidden rocks and gully's with massive moss coverings, etc..),
I need to get into a situation, slightly off trail, to get to another wheeler that just
broke something and is in a pretty decent jam.

The number of heavy bushes to med size trees I've had wrapped around my suspension and poking
at my axles is in the 1000's. Is there some reason that Mercedes figured out in the 60's you don't need rubber booted
CV's on your knarly offroad rig, you can use an externally greasable, rebuildable, CV that you can literally drive into pointed rocks
or tree branches with it, over and over. I can't see how I wouldn't have ripped off a couple hundred CV boots over the years by now.

DCP02186.jpg

BAUS67

First Name
redneck
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LFAO!
You will ROLL a Kia taking that “flat” section in a Kia.
Hence why the IFS guys were averaging a MUCH higher speed in that section.
I was just making a joke because someone in this forum posted video of a KIA on some slick rock and Cougar Buttes is tame compared to the true "rock" trails in Johnson valley.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 86 Capri 5.0, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Portals. I'm hoping with all the hype with the Bronco the aftermarket will come along for the ride. these are avail for the Wrangler.

http://www.tibus-offroad.com/en/products/bolt-on-portals/jeep/
Will an IFS be better at torque control than a std link SFA suspension? (rotational, "anti-torque" link "length" is shorter, but
there is technically 4 of them, guess it would depend on bushing dimensions/material the most, I'd guess)

I tore right through 1/2 inch plate on my front upper link after getting a bit of air under the front end.
Modified for a total of 3/4 plate on both sides (3/4 inch bolt) and it's been fine since.

DCP04537.jpg

DCP04550.jpg

BAUS67

First Name
redneck
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not up on the IFS stuff, it is pricey. But I look at it like the nature of the arm (being a triangle) it adds to its strength along with material/dimension.
as far as your link … that is why a lot of the aftermarket stuff is so beefy, the unsprung weight of 40" tires and live axle weight, the forces are incredible. That's why I was so surprised when I saw 35's on the Bronco because that means they had to engineer the suspension to handle it and with the next size being 37's it won't take much to get there. My 08 F150 when from 32's (stock) to 35's (leveled) and it seems to be taking it ok so far. So I'm sure they have done their homework so you won't rip the A-arms off because of the large tires weight. … See if they just would have given it a SFA won't have this problem. The biggest problem comes from trying to turn while all the pressure is on one side this is usually what snaps the axle. Going straight for the most part is not an issue. Crank the wheel, hit the gas and try to drive up that rock and SNAP, there goes the axle. Nice setup on 'ole blue there. :like: