Tire chains purchases begun

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just picked up the first pair of tire chains for 37” tires. Next set will be v-bars. Tires and wheels will be ordered soon. Probably should decide at some point FE or BL.... :)

F27D8C40-5EAD-43CA-A22A-7E4F378305FA.jpeg
Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like you’ll be ready for Raton Pass next winter!

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Never know when you will need a bit more traction!

51F47A63-C86A-4DED-8FE7-F2F9E7D13A3D.jpeg

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just picked up the first pair of tire chains for 37” tires. Next set will be v-bars. Tires and wheels will be ordered soon. Probably should decide at some point FE or BL.... :)

Ford Bronco Tire chains purchases begun 51F47A63-C86A-4DED-8FE7-F2F9E7D13A3D
Since we have time on our hands.....
I have not had any experience with chains since high school in the '80s on a pinto no less.
I have thick skin so go ahead with the jokes. With the chains I could go on any unclear roads in my rural town with no issues (no offroading). So if you have time educate me on chains, cables, other options and the pros and cons. The best places to shop for them. and what is a V-bar. Thanks in advance for the info.

I am in KS but have family in CO and spend a lot of time there too. I hate how the shady spots on the passes ice up. Really wakes you up.

Sponsored

Blue Bronco

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boots
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Man wtf are you planning on getting into that you already bought chains. I don't even run studs haha

Ford Bronco Tire chains purchases begun 20201204_154327
I was in Big Bear, CA once and they had a mandatory chain up. Alternatively, I think if you had tires with that snowflake symbol you were exempt, but everyone else needed to put on chains. Think other areas have the same deal if conditions warrant it.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Chains are going to be one of my first purchases if I Squatch. If I don't Squatch I already have a set or two that will work. I'm concerned about clearance to suspension components. From what I've read on 6g I think rears may be OK even Squatched but fronts may be out of the question (as they are on my son's Tacoma). If Squatched I may go to 285 or 275 width tires, so that might help.
Also, if I plan to chain the front that Squatch M210 will be much more reliable than the standard M190.

I never use chains on a 4x4 on road, even with chain law in snow tires and/or 4x4 will pass muster. But off road chains are invaluable, better than lockers, in deep snow and mud.

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Chains are going to be one of my first purchases if I Squatch. If I don't Squatch I already have a set or two that will work. I'm concerned about clearance to suspension components. From what I've read on 6g I think rears may be OK even Squatched but fronts may be out of the question (as they are on my son's Tacoma). If Squatched I may go to 285 or 275 width tires, so that might help.
Also, if I plan to chain the front that Squatch M210 will be much more reliable than the standard M190.

I never use chains on a 4x4 on road, even with chain law in snow tires and/or 4x4 will pass muster. But off road chains are invaluable, better than lockers, in deep snow and mud.
I have chains for my other rigs and will be getting a set of v-bars for the rear. If need be (front suspension clearance issues) I will get some cables. They have some tight fitting cables these days. I haven’t ever run chains on the pavement either, but seem to chain up many times a year on the mountain trails, usually to recover someone who didn’t have chains and couldn’t self-recover.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was in Big Bear, CA once and they had a mandatory chain up. Alternatively, I think if you had tires with that snowflake symbol you were exempt, but everyone else needed to put on chains. Think other areas have the same deal if conditions warrant it.
To be specific, in Calf, there are 3 levels of chain control: 1) Chains required except for vehicles with snow tires (which includes all season/mud & snow tires & must carry chains) 2). Chains required on all vehicles except 4WD Vehicles with snow tires as in 1) and must carry chains. 3) Chains required on all vehicles. If #3 is in effect, you shouldn’t be on the road as conditions are extreme and dangerous. Lastly, I will wait for my Bronco to verify what type of chain is required based on fitment within the fender well

Blue Bronco

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boots
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

To be specific, in Calf, there are 3 levels of chain control: 1) Chains required except for vehicles with snow tires (which includes all season/mud & snow tires & must carry chains) 2). Chains required on all vehicles except 4WD Vehicles with snow tires as in 1) and must carry chains. 3) Chains required on all vehicles. If #3 is in effect, you shouldn’t be on the road as conditions are extreme and dangerous. Lastly, I will wait for my Bronco to verify what type of chain is required based on fitment within the fender well
Good to know.

Sponsored

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please share when you determine what will fit in front fender well

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Here are some pictures of the tire chains with an Icon 3" lift and my 37" tires, and Method 0-offset wheels. Plenty of clearance for the chains to the control arms now. A 1.25" spacer would work just as well if keeping the stock wheels or near-stock offset.

Ford Bronco Tire chains purchases begun IMG_3072

The chains will get pretty close at max compression. I am adding an inch of lift to remedy that soon.
Ford Bronco Tire chains purchases begun IMG_3073

Here are the rear:

Ford Bronco Tire chains purchases begun IMG_3071

Ford Bronco Tire chains purchases begun IMG_3070

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know in my neck of the woods, you're required to have M&S or snowflake rated or carry chains.

I don't know why a vehicle, such as a Bronco, would ever need chains. It's very capable as it is.

Reactions: Cat

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I know in my neck of the woods, you're required to have M&S or snowflake rated or carry chains.

I don't know why a vehicle, such as a Bronco, would ever need chains. It's very capable as it is.
I only use them off road, steep deep snow. The only way
Sponsored