Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go look at any vehicle with a factory hitch next to one with an aftermarket hitch. That'll make up your mind. Most after-market installs are fugly and don't look right.

Also, 600 isn't all that bad. I work at a Ford Dealer, seems like hitches have all gone up in prices and are on back order a lot of the times. So be prepared to wait and maybe even pay the same or more to get it done after.

If you plan on using a hitch, just get it and save yourself the headache.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The question is are you towing or not? Time is money.You are not saving money by going after market. Period. They install it at factory saves you time which translates to money saved.
I know where you are coming from, but your use of "opportunity cost" doesn't quite fit this situation. Unless someone is actively swapping hours that make money (taking off from work) with the hours spent installing a DIY, the "cost" is not an actual loss; and the exchange does in fact save money.

If someone actually gets paid to work 24 hours a day non-stop, they might have an argument here... but, for example and for most people, sleeping for eight hours does not negate the tangible benefit of getting paid to work for 8 hours the day prior.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And not sure if the Bronco will have this or not but I do like that my F150 keeps track of tow mileage on the trailer and let’s me know if a taillight or marker light is not functioning on my cluster screen. Hopefully with sync 4 I can also use the rear camera mounted on the camper. Works on my sync 3 with an added plug n play module.

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you. See you get the point about trade offs. Nothings for free including your time.
Not sure why you keep quoting me...

Time spent wrenching a truck is time well spent IMO. Especially adding things or designing things myself (fixing broken crap is a drag but I still do it because I am cheap)

I basically hauled my Ranger out of various junkyards one wheel barrow at a time. I actually go junkin' for fun on the weekends.

If I knew more variables in how an aftermarket hitch would fit (baring the electrical crap) I would be all for DIYing a hitch on a saturday morning for a couple hundred bucks.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've never bought a vehicle where the towing option didn't include extra drivetrain modifications/components, so I'm unfamiliar with the typical OEM pricing of just the hitch and wiring harness.
It's basically a profit deal my friend. I don't know for sure, but I expect the Bronco will already have the oil and tranny coolers along with an oversized radiator. We're just paying twice for them when we order the tow package.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have installed an aftermarket hitch and it really was not that hard to do.

I have installed lift kits too. Sasquatch is totally worth it, price wise and time wise. But $600 for a hitch is a bit much. The aftermarket even with installation will be a lot less for a hitch. Also maybe you could get a hitch that is even stronger.

Greens05

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, BMW 335xi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've gone back and forth on this option as well. Currently dont have it on my order as I'm thinking the $600 is a nice chunk of change that could be used for an aftermarket bumper with an integrated hitch. I wouldn't be towing a trailer or anything that requires the wiring. Just a bike rack etc so that is swaying my decision towards not paying for it.

Sponsored

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think it is worth it if you want or need the 7-wire capability or don't want to bother with self-install. If you just want the hitch for accessories, or are happy with a 4-wire lights-only connector then an aftermarket solution will be cheap and easy to install.

The 7-wire capability is somewhat unknown and may be complex to give it similar functionality (charge line, fuses, relay, etc). Adding factory 7-wire harness to 2019+ Wrangler takes an incredible 6-8 hours for DIY (disassembling connectors in main wiring harness at dash, removing interior panels, etc) and costs more than the factory hitch.
Unless your “fuzzy” he said all his time involved in the process is one hour. Let him install all our hitches and skip Ford and save “$300” .

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This explains everything. :unsure:
Your a little “fuzzy”. That was my comment in jest to a member from Colorado who stated he wasted time reading your question. Now go eat your free DIY sandwich.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not doing it myself.

I've looked at the UHaul version and they look like hell - plus you lose clearance.

I'd rather have and use it rarely than not have it and discover I needed it once.

$9 a month for 60 months just wasn't a big deal for me - and one less thing on the list to make an appointment / research on.

jaiuppa

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr CG Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I didn't have the option for a hitch because of my base build and GVWR, so that made the decision easy for me. I will install one from the aftermarket, save some money too.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sheesh, give it up man. Your argument that you can't really save money by going aftermarket or DIY is silly and disproved by hundreds of millions of us who have literally saved lots of money by going aftermarket or DIY. In fact, I'm going to make my own tuna sandwich for lunch today because it will save me money over paying someone else to make me a tuna sandwich. And I'm fully capable of making a tuna sandwich, and I don't mind making a tuna sandwich, and I'm not giving up billable hours to make a tuna sandwich.

If DIY is not worth it to you, great. But it seems like a weird hill to die on.
But I thought you couldn’t get a tuna sandwich unless you opted for the Lux package?
Sponsored