Sponsored

Tuned 2.3 EcoBoost

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Deleted member 3063

The EGR System & PCV routes some of the Exhaust Gases & Oil Vapor (respectively) back to the Intake, so... the Filtered Clean Air gets dirtied by these. With no fuel being introduced in the intake stream, these contaminants can and do start to buildup on the back of the Intake Valve. Over time this buildup will restrict the airflow into the cylinder.
Thanks for answering but, this prompts more questions.

I've read that these same two devices can effect the turbo as well. Makes sense to uneducated me because venting the crank case (PCV) would be difficult on the pressurized side of the intake so would inlet before the turbo inlet. Seems like the hotter than Hades turbo blades would attract oil mist like a magnet The EGR, I don't have any idea for sure but I know some work the same way.

This said, tuners often have PCV oil separators listed as accessories to protect the turbo from carbon build up for about $150. I'd doubt these would affect the warranty.

The EGR worries me less as any particulates are most likely hard and dry being less likely to stick to the intake valve after working their way through the entire intake system.

There again tuners offer EGR delete kits that surely would irk Ford. The pro reasons most given are HP and gas mileage but I might be tempted to stealth disable the EGR just in case. Isn't all that hard for the mechanically inclined.

Again thanks for taking the time.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for answering but, this prompts more questions.

I've read that these same two devices can effect the turbo as well. Makes sense to uneducated me because venting the crank case (PCV) would be difficult on the pressurized side of the intake so would inlet before the turbo inlet. Seems like the hotter than Hades turbo blades would attract oil mist like a magnet The EGR, I don't have any idea for sure but I know some work the same way.

This said, tuners often have PCV oil separators listed as accessories to protect the turbo from carbon build up for about $150. I'd doubt these would affect the warranty.

The EGR worries me less as any particulates are most likely hard and dry being less likely to stick to the intake valve after working their way through the entire intake system.

There again tuners offer EGR delete kits that surely would irk Ford. The pro reasons most given are HP and gas mileage but I might be tempted to stealth disable the EGR just in case. Isn't all that hard for the mechanically inclined.

Again thanks for taking the time.
I know on my 250 6.0 diesel that I just had the turbo out of, there was a crap load of oil in the turbo from the crankcase vent system. however the blade were clean as a whislte, if oily. there was no buildup on them. the crankcase vents into the intake maybe 12" in front of the turbo inlet, then a few feet to the intercooler, then a couple feet to the intake manifold. (no throttlebody on a diesel)

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@fossil the oil on the Turbo doesn't build up like it can on the backside of the intake valve because the Intake Veins of the Turbo are not nearly as hot as the Intake Valve. The oil contacting the Turbo Veins will just coat it, sling off of it because it's not bake onto it and then continue down the intake to the cylinders, where some of it will bake on the backside of the Intake Valves.

BMW's have been dealing with this issue for years and a quick Youtube search will bring up several videos about it: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bmw+carbon+buildup

Yes, an Oil Catch Can can help, Also an EGR Block-Off/Delete would also help.

For me, I prefer the Direct & Port configuration and would most likely add a Oil Catch Can.

So, do your research and make your decision on what works for you.

Deleted member 3063

@fossil the oil on the Turbo doesn't build up like it can on the backside of the intake valve because the Intake Veins of the Turbo are not nearly as hot as the Intake Valve. The oil contacting the Turbo Veins will just coat it, sling off of it because it's not bake onto it and then continue down the intake to the cylinders, where some of it will bake on the backside of the Intake Valves.
BMW's have been dealing with this issue for years and a quick Youtube search will bring up several videos about it: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bmw+carbon+buildup
For me, I prefer the Direct & Port configuration and would most likely add a Oil Catch Can.
Not much chance getting what we prefer at this point, the die is cast. So we will be left reacting to what we are given to work with. Based on this conversation it seems the PCV system is the primary point of concern and pretty simple to remedy with a catch can.

Compressor vanes should be good providing a little cool down is exercised after hard use to prevent cooking the oil in the turbo.

This all pretty much explains why synthetic oils are required in most turbo cars. Knowing all synthetics are not created equal I'll probably use Redline or Amsoil but will research this a bit. Using a second rate synthetic might explain some of the problems people are having.

Superior temperature resistance. Synthetics can safely handle higher operating temperatures without oxidizing (burning) or breaking down. The upper limit for most mineral-based oils is about 250 to 300 degrees F. Synthetics can take up to 450 degrees F. or higher (some as much as 700 degrees F). This makes it well suited for vehicles that are operated in hot climates as well as heavy-duty, turbocharged or hard-use applications.

Sponsored

mattpa

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know on my 250 6.0 diesel that I just had the turbo out of, there was a crap load of oil in the turbo from the crankcase vent system. however the blade were clean as a whislte, if oily. there was no buildup on them. the crankcase vents into the intake maybe 12" in front of the turbo inlet, then a few feet to the intercooler, then a couple feet to the intake manifold. (no throttlebody on a diesel)

I don't know a ton about turbo engines, but is it possible that Ford accounts for some oil from the PCV system lubricating the intake side of the turbos? In which case you would want the oil catch after the turbo, if that's possible, right?

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

There's also a possibility of a factory air oil separator. Porsche puts them in their NA motors. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford put them on turbo motors if oil becomes an issue.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I may have missed it, but does anyone know if/when the 2.3 ecoboost will get port injection added? I assume this is still gen 1 from 2015. Seems like gen 2 should be coming if it isn’t already.
I never followed the 2.3, but being the only manual option for Bronco has me interested.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having tuned a 2.3t before, I know they're capable and fast.

Can't wait to see how the Bronco'll be after some mods

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Having tuned a 2.3t before, I know they're capable and fast.

Can't wait to see how the Bronco'll be after some mods
Did you have any issues passing people in 6th gear(manual)? I thought i read on a mustang forum that passing in 6th (heavy foot) caused issues with the 2.3.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you have any issues passing people in 6th gear(manual)? I thought i read on a mustang forum that passing in 6th (heavy foot) caused issues with the 2.3.
I wouldn't know, it was Auto.

Long story short, My dad offered to help me so I could get it while I was gonna sell the Audi, then hijacked the order process on me xD

Oh well, at least he helped me out there, and she was fun, though that Trans held her back in my eyes

EcobeastRyan

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 fusion se
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hope mountune makes some parts for the bronco because if I remember they are a warranty supported aftermarket company

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Compressor vanes should be good providing a little cool down is exercised after hard use to prevent cooking the oil in the turbo.
*THIS*

I can't tell you how many grunts killed their MRAPs in Iraq by turning them off immediately after pushing them hard. It's not going to be one time, but continued abuse like that will end your turbo's life. Baja mode should come with a turbo timer.

teejayhoward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
*THIS*

I can't tell you how many grunts killed their MRAPs in Iraq by turning them off immediately after pushing them hard. It's not going to be one time, but continued abuse like that will end your turbo's life. Baja mode should come with a turbo timer.
Timers are used for oil-cooled turbos. Modern turbos have coolant lines going to them, and don't need a timer.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Lugging any turbo gas engine is generally not ideal. I had a Focus ST (2.0 Turbo) and it was tuned. My tuner said to avoid high load/low rpm situations if possible. It's just a recipe for high stress on the pistons/rings/connecting rods. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. Don't be afraid/too lazy to downshift lol
Sponsored