Sponsored

Turbocharged Engine Advice - tips or tricks for maintenance?

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Stick to 100 octane race fuel and change the oil every 500 miles. Make sure to get a Blackstone analysis every time too. Anything less will cause your engine to self destruct.
You know people might believe you. Don’t give out incorrect information. Even as a joke.
Use 100% synthetic oil and use the same octane for the life of the engine. If you start with 91 stick with 91 forever. Don’t switch to 87 if it gets too expensive. The engine will be used to the higher octane and start detonation and ruin your internals.
Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You know people might believe you. Don’t give out incorrect information. Even as a joke.
Use 100% synthetic oil and use the same octane for the life of the engine. If you start with 91 stick with 91 forever. Don’t switch to 87 if it gets too expensive. The engine will be used to the higher octane and start detonation and ruin your internals.
Ha thanks for the heads up, don't mean to cause any confusion. Follow your owners manual as a bare minimum. I just get a laugh when I see extremely short intervals or excessive analysis test. These vehicles are not made from glass and a lot of the turbo worry seems to be leftover from another generation.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ha thanks for the heads up, don't mean to cause any confusion. Follow your owners manual as a bare minimum. I just get a laugh when I see extremely short intervals or excessive analysis test. These vehicles are not made from glass and a lot of the turbo worry seems to be leftover from another generation.
No worries man. But yes you are correct that people still say you need to let your turbo cool down and stuff. Hilarious and turbo timers. What the heck is a turbo timer lol

SolidSnake

Base
First Name
Dante
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A lot of old school advice here. Let your turbos cool, change oil every 3k etc. Just follow the damn manual I doubt anyone on here knows more than the engineers that developed the engines and the guidelines they set in the manual

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don't have a clue yourself. The knock sensor lets you use whatever gas the engine is rated at. You can use 87 one tank and 93 the next if you want to with no ill effects.
The ONLY time you are stuck using one particular octane is if the engine is tuned for that octane. For example put a 93 octane performance tune in and you need to be running 93

Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No worries man. But yes you are correct that people still say you need to let your turbo cool down and stuff. Hilarious and turbo timers. What the heck is a turbo timer lol
The only time you don't need to let your turbo cool off is if the turbos are siphon cooled. It wouldn't be smart to shutting off a 6.7 Powerstroke after a heavy hard pull. Once again you don't have a clue

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You don't have a clue yourself. The knock sensor lets you use whatever gas the engine is rated at. You can use 87 one tank and 93 the next if you want to with no ill effects.
The ONLY time you are stuck using one particular octane is if the engine is tuned for that octane. For example put a 93 octane performance tune in and you need to be running 93
Where exactly did I insult you bro
Triggered by what octane I advise.
Try yoga ya snowflake.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Upgrade the intercooler and get an oil catch can

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The only time you don't need to let your turbo cool off is if the turbos are siphon cooled. It wouldn't be smart to shutting off a 6.7 Powerstroke after a heavy hard pull. Once again you don't have a clue
This is a 2.3 dude. You really need to chill.and I’m saying you don’t need that stuff

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where exactly did I insult you bro
Triggered by what octane I advise.
Try yoga ya snowflake.
As I said you don't have a clue... You are giving bad advice yet you are slamming other guys above you that are doing the same thing. Maybe spend some time on the ecoboost forums before coming here and posting.

Sponsored

the Duff

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Three simple words. CHANGE YOUR OIL! I see lots of early 3.5 failures caused by lack of maintenance. The 10k or whatever interval Ford says is hooey.

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The important thing I've been told by a mechanic friend who has owned turbos, is that you don't want to spin them up too quickly nor put them away hot. So let your vehicle warm up a bit before you jump on it, and if you've been running hot let it cool down a bit before you shut it down. That'll keep the turbos running for a long long time and be covered under warranty if they do go bad.
Way back when, tractor manufacturers recommended idling turbo engines for 1/2 to 1 min to cool them down before shut down. Don't see that anymore and my wife's diesel equinox doesn't say anything different to do with the turbo.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Way back when, tractor manufacturers recommended idling turbo engines for 1/2 to 1 min to cool them down before shut down. Don't see that anymore and my wife's diesel equinox doesn't say anything different to do with the turbo.
That's because people are getting stupid and don't have the brains to cool the turbo off. The EcoBoost has water cooled turbos which means once you shut it off the water keeps siphoning to cool the turbo down.
If you look at the owner's manual for a Ford super duty with the 6.7 powerstroke it does tell you that you need to idle for several minutes to cool it off

My John Deere tractors and construction equipment are still the same as well

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's because people are getting stupid and don't have the brains to cool the turbo off. The EcoBoost has water cooled turbos which means once you shut it off the water keeps siphoning to cool the turbo down.
If you look at the owner's manual for a Ford super duty with the 6.7 powerstroke it does tell you that you need to idle for several minutes to cool it off

My John Deere tractors and construction equipment are still the same as well
Haven't looked at a Power Stroke but the older Deere tractors had a decal on the corner post that reminded you to idle before shutdown. Haven't noticed this in the newer tractors and it doesn't seem like we have any more turbo problems than before except with the variable vane ones.
Sponsored