Sponsored

What’s the most bulletproof bronco build you can get?

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think your spot on with the BD 2.3! Plus don't get a ridiculous lift, stay at 2" or less and don't go over 33" tires and you should be good!
Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It's a known fact that these forums of ours tend to report and amplify negative experiences. Who wants to post that their transmission, steering, cam phasers, etc. have been ticking along reliably? I have seen such posts, but they are rare. Would be great to have some model specific vehicle data, but JD Power only sells that to the OEMs. Fingers crossed that I can join the silent majority.

Quicklime

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch 2 Dr hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve been trying to keep up with the problem spots on the Bronco, preparing to finally buy my own. The two biggest issues I’ve seen have been the 4x4 cutting out (overheating error) when in sand/wheel spin that appears to be on models with the advanced 4x4, and the 2.7 seems to have a lot of problems.

With that being said. What other major/common problems does the bronco have to be aware of, and how can they be solved by either factory or aftermarket solutions?

At this point I’m thinking a Black Diamond, non sas, 2.3, mid package.
My base Sas 2dr 2.7 has 23,264 miles on it. Dec 8 will be one year. The dealership techs have yet to get their hands on it. It flashed the hill holder fault 5 times. Just an electrical gremlin, it hasn't ever actually stopped working. This thing goes ALL OVER. One of my kids sells Fords. You always want to go with the bigger engine because they don't have to work as hard. I had a 2.3 Ranger. There's no comparison in my mind. The 2.7 puts out more torque than the 5.0 coyote engine... wiki

"The second generation 2.7L EcoBoost V6 was introduced with the 2018 Ford F-150 and is mated to a 10-speed transmission that debuted the year prior. It produces an additional 25 lb⋅ft (34 N⋅m) of torque over the first generation. The engine uses a compacted-graphite iron (CGI) block, which is both high strength and lightweight.

It boasts a number of changes from the first generation, with many carrying over from the second generation 3.5L EcoBoost engine that arrived a year earlier in the F-150. The most prominent change being the addition of port fuel injection, while keeping the direct injection system. It also has reduced internal friction to improve power and fuel economy, and new exhaust gas recirculation system.[73] The specific output of the engine is now 121 hp/L, versus the 395-hp Ford Coyote 5.0L naturally aspirated V-8 which has a specific output of only 78 hp/L. The peak torque matches the 5.0L V-8, albeit at a lower 2,750 rpm vs. 4,500 rpm for the V-8.

Additional changes include a new lightweight cam to save weight, dual-chain cam drive system that is stronger and reduces parasitic friction loss, a new electrically actuated wastegate that provides more accurate turbo boost control, a high-pressure exhaust gas recirculation system, and a variable-displacement belt-driven oil pump that is electronically controlled to modulate oil flow to further reduce parasitic losses."
Ford Bronco What’s the most bulletproof bronco build you can get? IMG_6017

Last edited:

Sponsored

Xjeepowner

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 16 JKU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
The older cars can’t come close to the reliability of modern cars.
Any forum magnifies any issue dramatically.
I know plenty of Ford owners with F150’s that have over 200,000 miles
with just normal maintenance.
I was a young man in the 70’s and 80’s and remember how unreliable cars were. Having to do tune ups including adjusting points, timing and spark plugs as often as 3000 miles.
Adjusting valves was really fun.
Most folks don’t even know what points were.
Most people that break their Bronco don’t drive properly.
If you put large tires and drive like you stole it you’re going to break it.

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Everyone has their favorites but I agree with an earlier post, BB with a locker or BD if you want the skids, rock rails, switches and steel rear bumper as part of the package.

The difference between the two trims for my build was a bit over $2k to go BD. I am going with a ‘24 4dr BB SAS, 2.3/auto and adding skids on my own so will come out ahead $$ wise because rails and steel rear bumper doesn’t interest me. I will at some point get a dual swing out rear bumper.

I honestly don’t think there’s a bad choice in any of the current trims. I say that even with Ford buying back my ‘23 BB with less than 400 miles on it because of software issues Ford couldn’t fix. I ordered the exact same build in a MY24, I don’t trust it like my Toyotas but I don’t think they all suck. Ford could 100% raise their level of quality but it’s the way of the world these days. All brands have their issues.

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The older cars can’t come close to the reliability of modern cars.
Any forum magnifies any issue dramatically.
I know plenty of Ford owners with F150’s that have over 200,000 miles
with just normal maintenance.
I was a young man in the 70’s and 80’s and remember how unreliable cars were. Having to do tune ups including adjusting points, timing and spark plugs as often as 3000 miles.
Adjusting valves was really fun.
Most folks don’t even know what points were.
Most people that break their Bronco don’t drive properly.
If you put large tires and drive like you stole it you’re going to break it.
older cars have better longevity though. I have two vehicles that are over 50 years old. They don’t have a lot of unique electronics. The drivetrain components aren’t complex.

I probably won’t be around to see a 50 year old bronco, and they will be less likely to exist.

we may see some stripped out builds though. Rip everything out, replace the drivetrain, replace the displays with tablets.

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No build is bulletproof.

Especially not the Cybertruck.

Any vehicle can have issues or a part that fails. Just need to maintain it the best you can and drive properly.
Or less you buy a Toyota 4 Runner then it’s bulletproof. But the Bronco can try . Trust in ford

Sponsored

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I run a BL with some aftermarket upgrades. I have had zero issues for 14,342 miles.
Jessabelle will easily stand up to anything S. FL parks have to offer.

Mind you I do not rock crawl, but I honestly believe the way my RIG is built, I would not have any issues there as well.

As many have said, 90% is the driver. Just like with racing, you have to understand the vehicle limits, and how to actually drive for the activity you are doing. Nothing is bulletproof, but a Bronco is well put together to help you along.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Become one with the non-SAS 2.3 gang. And get it in 2 doors, too: more doors is more problems, after all.
This is the first I have heard that the four door bronco has more problems than the two door. Can you be specific as to the problems you

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
older cars have better longevity though. I have two vehicles that are over 50 years old. They don’t have a lot of unique electronics. The drivetrain components aren’t complex.

I probably won’t be around to see a 50 year old bronco, and they will be less likely to exist.

we may see some stripped out builds though. Rip everything out, replace the drivetrain, replace the displays with tablets.
I can guarantee with 100% certainty that there will be no 6G Broncos that are alive 50 years from now, except for very rare units owned by individuals with lots of money. And the reason is, as you stated, all the electronics. There will simply be no spares for electronics past a 15 year or so lifetime, and unlike mechanical parts, you cannot replicate them unless you have a $1B semiconductor plant, the original design files, and the original fabrication process.

Ask me how I know. I have a god damn $3000 Samsung range in the kitchen that is 8 years old. Works perfectly except the friggin touch screen broke. And guess what, there are no spares in existence anywhere in the world. I now have a $3000 paperweight because of a $100 electronic part.
Sponsored