Sponsored

What’s the most bulletproof bronco build you can get?

BoomerBarnes

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’ve been trying to keep up with the problem spots on the Bronco, preparing to finally buy my own. The two biggest issues I’ve seen have been the 4x4 cutting out (overheating error) when in sand/wheel spin that appears to be on models with the advanced 4x4, and the 2.7 seems to have a lot of problems.

With that being said. What other major/common problems does the bronco have to be aware of, and how can they be solved by either factory or aftermarket solutions?

At this point I’m thinking a Black Diamond, non sas, 2.3, mid package.
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No build is bulletproof.

Especially not the Cybertruck.

Any vehicle can have issues or a part that fails. Just need to maintain it the best you can and drive properly.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve been trying to keep up with the problem spots on the Bronco, preparing to finally buy my own. The two biggest issues I’ve seen have been the 4x4 cutting out (overheating error) when in sand/wheel spin that appears to be on models with the advanced 4x4, and the 2.7 seems to have a lot of problems.

With that being said. What other major/common problems does the bronco have to be aware of, and how can they be solved by either factory or aftermarket solutions?

Depends how you plan to use the vehicle. I went manual trans because I enjoy operating a manual, my family members all know how to drive manual, and I've had much better long term service life from manuals. But hopefully my manual does not start making "the grumble" noise some day!

Also off-roading various 4x4s with mediocre components over the years, taught me you don't need some tricked out expensive bulletproof vehicle to have fun. I think some Broncos are way over equipped for their actual usage.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

If reliability was my sole decision criteria, I'd be in a 15 year old 4Runner design.

The problems you see here get a lot of attention but I really believe are relatively few and far between. My 2.7L is fine even though everyone said it would nuke after 2500 miles.

Sponsored

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

90% driver, 10% truck. Most issues / breakage is due to the driver. Sometimes pushing it, sometimes picking bad lines. The Bronco does have way too much electronics to not have to worry about, but that’s about all you can do until something happens, IMO.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3L Big Bend or Black Diamond with the 10-speed auto.

Honestly the 2nd gen 2.7L engine in the Bronco isn't all that unreliable... Ford just had a supplier that shipped them a bad batch of engine components and that caused havoc. Also worth noting that the 2.3L also got hit with a similar issue last December, but the majority of the 2.3L engines that were impacted were put in Ford Explorers... the Bronco managed to came out of that relatively unscathed.

But if I'm looking at it from the perspective of a DIY mechanic and wants to maximize simplicity, I'd pick the 2.3L for sure.

As far as the transmission... normally I'd pick a manual transmission if reliability was the primary concern. But the 7-speed manual in the Bronco is new and is going through some growing pains. Meanwhile the 10Rxx transmission line from Ford has had an additional 3-4 years to mature and is used in the vast majority of the vehicles they produce. So the 10-speed automatic it is.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3L w/manual or 10spd, upgraded axle and rear locker. I assume you want a 4dr, since the 2024 OBX is only 4dr now. Seems like people have fewer issues with the soft top. Get the Trail Armor rock sliders and the accessory switches, so you can wire up stuff without having to take things apart too much.

I would also say get the high package, but Ford mashed it together with the lux, which is a dog. You do get the big screen regardless, though, and have fewer driving systems (I think, like lane correction) that can go wrong.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depending on what your intended use is going to be. Skid plates are a must, factory and an additional transmission skid. Also if you plan on getting into any rocks a good steering upgrade is needed. Locally steering components are the biggest failure on the trails.

Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is going to be a fun thread as people try to justify their choices. 😁

It really doesn't matter. I'm not a fan of the 2.7 but even it will be largely reliable, I'd budget for phaser work once it's out of warranty though.

A non-Sas BL is probably the way to go for non-powertrain related reliability. It has all the HD components but smaller tires to stress them less.

scotman623

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy LT Trail boss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All depends on what you are planning on doing with it? I love rock crawling and built my 2 Door badlands squach to do just that.. Aftermarket rear bumper is a must, took it off on a rock obstacle, skids.. I have the 2.3 10 speed with Ford performance tune, all I need in mine running 37.. My ONLY Regret.. The Sasquatch package.. I changed everything out, so it was just a waste of money for me… I also beefed up the steering some, ordering a 74 weld 3.0 rack will take care of any issues going forward..

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm with Blue. I was gonna say a 68 or so....
Sponsored