Sponsored

What changes you think Jeep will make to the Wrangler??

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IFS will never happen in a Wrangler, against their DNA.

Larger screen in dash
A Rubicon on 35's
Improved powerplants
possibly restructuring of the cage
Liquid cooling will never happen in a Harley, against their DNA.

Oh wait...
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

*Possibly team up and make a Bestow retractable soft top an available option when ordered, rather than an accessory
*Stick with the 2.0t
*37's optional as stated above
*Hard tops that don't rattle, soft top with better rain drains or whatever they're called
*As @Apples said, MOPAR tunes

All I really know is that once the hype dies down and it's established it's not simply the flavor of the year but actually the Yin to Jeep's Yang (Or Yang to Yin, who cares), then things are definitely gonna get interesting at MOPAR

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mistakenly stated Jeep offers their Wrangler with 37" tires. I thought the 392 was offered with 37". It is not.

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
The standard features on Jeeps are severely lacking for 2021. And I say that as someone with a absolute stripper model Jeep. But the fact that AC, power windows and locks aren't standard in a damn near 30k vehicle is nuts. Maybe if the base model was still in the low 20s that would be acceptable. They either need to drop the starting price, never gonna happen, or equip them better without a price hike.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jeep’s main priority needs to be powertrain. And no I don’t give a shit about the 392 it’s a novelty at best. They need a solid base engine and a solid upgrade for ~$2k like Bronco has. The 3.6 is now 9 years old without any sort of power upgrades, and also comes with the stupid 48v battery system. They need a no-nonsense 4 banger and a turbo 6.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@395N I wish the Bronco had a SFA too, bummer it doesn't.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Jeep’s main priority needs to be powertrain. And no I don’t give a shit about the 392 it’s a novelty at best. They need a solid base engine and a solid upgrade for ~$2k like Bronco has. The 3.6 is now 9 years old without any sort of power upgrades, and also comes with the stupid 48v battery system. They need a no-nonsense 4 banger and a turbo 6.
I have zero interest in the 392 for off roading.
I've driven the JL Rubicon on 37's with the e torque 2.0 Turbo and I thought it was pretty darn good.

Sponsored

Raz4back

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The standard features on Jeeps are severely lacking for 2021. And I say that as someone with a absolute stripper model Jeep. But the fact that AC, power windows and locks aren't standard in a damn near 30k vehicle is nuts. Maybe if the base model was still in the low 20s that would be acceptable. They either need to drop the starting price, never gonna happen, or equip them better without a price hike.
While this is true, Jeep is more consumer friendly when adding options. They don’t make you opt for a “Lux” package to have the upgraded stereo. You can order a Jeep to your specific tastes. A person shouldn’t have to pay for all of the nanny electronics to have heated seats, a heated steering wheel, and a decent sound system.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the base stripped out Jeep or at least the base/std options stand to get changed at most in the first couple years to better compete with Bronco. That would be a fairly quick and easy re-alignment.

I can see the Jeep getting a IFS on some trims or across the whole line. Something like a mid arm for Mohave and either SFA or long arm for Rubicon...short arms for lesser trims. However, that would require R&D costs I dont think Jeep will get. It all honestly depends on how well the Bronco competes and takes sales away to get Jeep to move that direction.

I kind of like how Jeep from a design standpoint sort of follows the 911 in slow evolving body and hope Bronco can do the same and just let it evolve.

Fedexman1978

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@dcg2 yeah, we definitely disagree. I think the Bronco will be nixed before SFA in the Wrangler. SFA is a more robust way to do things, simpler, easier maintenance. It's just better in most cases, especially off road. The "death wobble" and ride quality arguments are mostly marketing. There are differences, but they are not dramatic or drastic, not necessarily amazing versus dismal.

The Bronco will be hugely popular for three years, then the novelty will wear off and it'll just be another "car". It'll handle well, but it won't set itself apart from the competition. GOAT modes have been around already (although not called that), it's not new. IFS has been around forever and provides a good ride in competitor's vehicles, so Bronco isn't offering anything new there either. The competition has been offering lockers, limited slips, automatically controlled braking that creates a limited slip function to all four wheels. The Bronco really isn't offering anything new, but Ford is marketing the sh*t out of the Bronco to make it appear that its technology is something better, which it really isn't. It's good, but not different.

Bronco was built as a Wrangler fighter but that doesn't mean Jeep needs to respond by changing to be more like the Bronco. The Wrangler has been killing the competition by staying true to its roots, for decades.
Michael Manley is that you?!😁

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
While this is true, Jeep is more consumer friendly when adding options. They don’t make you opt for a “Lux” package to have the upgraded stereo. You can order a Jeep to your specific tastes. A person shouldn’t have to pay for all of the nanny electronics to have heated seats, a heated steering wheel, and a decent sound system.
VERY true! Well said my friend. Not a fan of the way Ford lumped everything into packages.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

THAT said. I don't think the Wrangler will nix SFA soon. At least not across the board. There are some benefits. A FAR cry from "most" situations off-road as has been objectively and unequivocally proven, but there are still some. Jeep can build on that because branding sells.
Absolutely agree. Eliminating the SFA entirely would be worse than keeping the SFA on all models. I think at least most of us can agree on that. However, introducing IFS on, say, Sport and Sahara models, while keeping the SFA on Rubicon and Willys models, may be akin to entering the pool from the steps, rather than a bellyflop into the deep end.

The death wobble and ride quality related to the recirculating ball steering are not just marketing. I drove a brand new JLU with in Sept 2019 for a few days and the steering was atrocious. Completely turned me off from ever buying a wrangler.

Yes, other various vehicles have had some of those features, but none have had all of them together and a removeable roof/soft top. That is where the Bronco becomes the first real competitor to the wrangler since the LR Defender in the 90's, which was more the double the price at the time.

The wrangler hasn't had anything that directly competed with it and Jeep hasn't had a true competitor since the Scouts/Broncos competed with the CJs.

Jeep has toyed with going IFS on the wrangler before and if the Bronco cuts into its sales over the next few years like it looks like it might, then Stellantis will have quite a bit of work cut out for it.
Also agree here too. We have heard rumors from way back about IFS for the JL model. Seeing how the Mall Crawler phenomena is alive and well, I suspect IFS and 35's on a Wrangler would be the ticket for an overwhelming amount of people.

Liquid cooling will never happen in a Harley, against their DNA.

Oh wait...
Don't forget Porsche too!

In my mind, Jeep is SFA king, and I don't ever see that changing. I also don't ever see a Wrangler model without SFA. But, there are many Wrangler sub-models (Sport, Sport S, Islander, Willys, Rubicon, ...) I feel like the bean counters are arguing for IFS, engineers are against (mostly), and marketing is screaming "you WILL kill the brand if you axe the SFA!" (mostly true). The bean counters will get some IFS action on some models, marketing will get to keep SFA on Rubicon and Willys, and the C suite, let's be honest, they don't care about what engineers have to say anymore. Said but true.

Side note, I highly recommend reading this book --> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11276949-car-guys-vs-bean-counters
Sponsored