First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I suspect the 4D will be near 4.5K LB so the 2.7 will be necessary to move it's bulk.
The 4Runner gets around fine with ballpark what the 2.3 puts out.
Sponsored

west

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 T-Bird, 71 LTD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The 4Runner gets around fine with ballpark what the 2.3 puts out.
Lot's of folks think the 4 cylinder is a HIGH stress performance engine, not something I need in a truck.

Sponsored

west

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 T-Bird, 71 LTD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Each to his own. I would prefer a normally aspirated V6 anyway.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I never get the “High stress” coming from a 4 turbo.
Because a Turbo motor only needs to rev to 2500-3000 rpm to get peak torque.

v6 n/a needs to rev to 4000.

so what’s more stressing? 12psi of boost? Or revving almost 2x as much?

west

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 T-Bird, 71 LTD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I read reviews on the older version of this engine, I understand that these problems have been now rectified, so I'm all good :)

"The 2.3 EcoBoost is a high-performance turbocharged engine with direct injection, built and tuned for meet sports ambitions and needs for a high speed of drivers. As a result, the reliability of many engine components is placed really close to the limits.
The most well-known problem for the 2.3L EcoBoost engine is a failed head gasket. Dozens of Ford Focus RS engines had an issue with a leaking head gasket."

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I read reviews on the older version of this engine, I understand that these problems have been now rectified, so I'm all good :)

"The 2.3 EcoBoost is a high-performance turbocharged engine with direct injection, built and tuned for meet sports ambitions and needs for a high speed of drivers. As a result, the reliability of many engine components is placed really close to the limits.
The most well-known problem for the 2.3L EcoBoost engine is a failed head gasket. Dozens of Ford Focus RS engines had an issue with a leaking head gasket."
if I remember it was only like 1,000 cars effected by the gasket issues. And that’s the high output version.
the literal other 1,000,000 2.3 engines out there are great.

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

The head gasket issues were a parts mixup iirc. RS has Cosworth heads

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So …………………………………… not to go kinda off topic but on the way home from my vaca, last stretch coming in PA. I had a bunch of traffic coming up on me fast and I'm doing 70. A couple of SUV's and sedans and then up comes the last sedan and I see smoke coming from the right front and black pieces flying in the air. I let off the gas and before I could say "here goes the tire" KABOOM !!!!!! this thing SCATTERED THE MOTOR !!!!! Engines part flying everywhere !!!! It was like a Nascar race !!!!! He darts across traffic to the berm. A small piece bounced off the hood then the windshield. Thank God it wasn't bigger or go through. I could smell the oil burning as he went by. When you think you have seen it all.

Sorry it was engine related thought I would share.

Chadillac

Base
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The head gasket issues were a parts mixup iirc. RS has Cosworth heads
Yes, the RS has different heads which was 100% the issue when they mistakenly I nstalled regular 2.3l gaskets on the affected vehicles. Otherwise the 2.3L is solid
Sponsored