First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the 2.3 was a Cast Iron/Graphite block I would get the 2.3; otherwise most diffidently I will get the 2.7.

If your head gaskets go out on the 2.3 you may have to scrap the block. For all you naysayers out there ask a Ford Mechanic and I do not want to hear that the aluminum 2.3 block does not warp... You may get luckily and not have to replace the block, but off to the junk yard for a wrecked Ranger for an engine swap. For what it was worth, I was so excited for the 2.3 until I found it had an aluminum block.
My wife had a Ford Edge as a work car. Started misfiring and throwing codes at about 80k on the odometer. Still ran though.

I was shocked when the service department called and told her the entire engine needed to be replaced. Apparently blew a head gasket and everything had to be replaced.

It was the 2.0 L engine, but still...
Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the 2.3 was a Cast Iron/Graphite block I would get the 2.3; otherwise most diffidently I will get the 2.7.

If your head gaskets go out on the 2.3 you may have to scrap the block. For all you naysayers out there ask a Ford Mechanic and I do not want to hear that the aluminum 2.3 block does not warp... You may get luckily and not have to replace the block, but off to the junk yard for a wrecked Ranger for an engine swap. For what it was worth, I was so excited for the 2.3 until I found it had an aluminum block.
Aren’t the EB 3.5 and the Coyote as well as numerous built aftermarket “crate” motors aluminum blocks? Most of the built motors Ive seen are based on aluminum blocks and intended for high HP. I’m not too worried about it and if I end up with the 2.3, which I likely will because I want a manual Bronco, I will modify it and if the motor lets go, I imagine there will be built shortblock choices for Bronco as there are for the 2.3 EB Mustangs and Focuses.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My wife had a Ford Edge as a work car. Started misfiring and throwing codes at about 80k on the odometer. Still ran though.

I was shocked when the service department called and told her the entire engine needed to be replaced. Apparently blew a head gasket and everything had to be replaced.

It was the 2.0 L engine, but still...
This is exactly what I am talking about. I just do not get why Ford would not go with the cast iron graphite block. The 2.3 is an incredible engine.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Aren’t the EB 3.5 and the Coyote as well as numerous built aftermarket “crate” motors aluminum blocks? Most of the built motors Ive seen are based on aluminum blocks and intended for high HP. I’m not too worried about it and if I end up with the 2.3, which I likely will because I want a manual Bronco, I will modify it and if the motor lets go, I imagine there will be built shortblock choices for Bronco as there are for the 2.3 EB Mustangs and Focuses.
They are, but they are not blowing gaskets at the rate of the 2.3 and nor are the blocks warping. Don't get me know, I want the manual too, but it appears if you want to squatch the Badlands we are forced to go with the 2.7.

OP
OP

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are, but they are not blowing gaskets at the rate of the 2.3 and nor are the blocks warping. Don't get me know, I want the manual too, but it appears if you want to squatch the Badlands we are forced to go with the 2.7.
You can get the Sasquatch with the 2.3 as well.

Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You can get the Sasquatch with the 2.3 as well.
I am not sure about that. I heard but not confirmed squatching the Badlands with the 2.3 and manual. Too bad they do not offer the manual on the 2.7.

OP
OP

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not sure about that. I heard but not confirmed squatching the Badlands with the 2.3 and manual. Too bad they do not offer the manual on the 2.7.
I updated my response from a tweet from Mike Levine of Ford.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am so confused LOL

GYMEBronco22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Getting the 2.7. Made the mistake of getting the smaller displacement engine in my current car and told myself I’d never make the same mistake again.
This! ^
I currently have both the 2.3 (2018 Focus RS) and 2.7 (2017 F150) engines.

The 2.3 is more then enough to move the Focus but it is highly strung and needs high revs to get the most out of it. Not sure its the best engine for a Bronco but I'm sure Ford know what they are doing....
Also, any 2.3 built after Summer/Early fall 2017 should have left the factory with the head problem sorted.

I have also just had a F150 3.5 loaner for two weeks (whilst Ford renewed the heads on my 2.7 F150...) and I must say the extra engine size was great. Whilst the 2.7 is OK in my 2017 it is definitely underpowered and needs to work harder at highway speeds. I am sure it will be great in the Bronco though.

2.7 Bronco for me..

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've actually driven a F150 with the 2.7L and a Ranger with the 2.3L and was impressed by both. Then read/ watched the Ranger reviews where the universal doubts about the 2.3L were dismissed with the first time behind the wheel.

I want the 2.7L because enough is never enough but the availability will dictate. The Ranger is rated to tow 7,500#, go drive one.
And we will be geared significantly lower. Something that seems to be forgotten alot.

Sponsored

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Always get the biggest engine. You'll never be sorry.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

What? I'm a mechanic and this is irresponsible posting.

Hulkbuster19

Badlands
First Name
Mike Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
chevy tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7........BUT If the 3.0 does show up magically....I would have to check it out

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What? I'm a mechanic and this is irresponsible posting.
It is not irresponsible. If you have something to provide I am open to listen to you as you are a mechanic. You are saying there are no issues with the 2.3? Head gaskets, blocks, injection? Please convince me to stay with the 2.3. I noticed that "mechanics" love them or hate them.

Most people; including myself prefer an inline 4. Take a look at the Toyota 22r with 135hp with 35's and gearing can climb walls with 300K on the odometer. I am concerned on longevity and reliability.

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.3/7mt...no regrets. 2.7 looks like 10lb of $hit in a 5lb bag to me!
Sponsored