Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've talked to a few companies that sell (expensive) specialty products for painting / dyeing plastic.

I've asked them about the MIC top but none of them can answer anything without knowing exactly what kind of plastic the MIC top is made out of. ALL I can find is that it's a thermoset plastic. Which is a class of plastics, but not a specific kind like polyesther resin or polyurethane.

Since Ford has pushed more people into the MIC top can we at least get some detail about what it's made out of?

Ding, ding, ding.... We have an answer:

The outer shell is polyacetal, or POM in the business, a very common automotive thermoplastic. I have no idea how it will take paint, that’s not my department.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is everything we know at this point. It is from things posted on the forum by people who work in the factory(s).

Ford Bronco What Specfic Plastic Type is MIC? Top Differences

DieselSmack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've talked to a few companies that sell (expensive) specialty products for painting / dyeing plastic.

I've asked them about the MIC top but none of them can answer anything without knowing exactly what kind of plastic the MIC top is made out of. ALL I can find is that it's a thermoset plastic. Which is a class of plastics, but not a specific kind like polyesther resin or polyurethane.

Since Ford has pushed more people into the MIC top can we at least get some detail about what it's made out of?
This is everything we know at this point. It is from things posted on the forum by people who work in the factory(s).

Top Differences.png
I don't know specifically but its probably a mix of fibreglass and / or some version of Polycarbonate or ABS.

Source: I work in Auto Plastics

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Polymonoethylglycesterinerol

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It would be nice to know what the specific kind of plastic is that's used in it.

I don't hate the latest version of the top, but if I end up not liking it as much in person, then it would be nice to know what kind of plastic makes up it's construction, so I can spray it, with one of the two products I know of, to better match the black trim.

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would be nice to know what the specific kind of plastic is that's used in it.

I don't hate the latest version of the top, but if I end up not liking it as much in person, then it would be nice to know what kind of plastic makes up it's construction, so I can spray it, with one of the two products I know of, to better match the black trim.
I was looking at the Parasol line of products. Is that one of the two your interested in?

soupcook

Outer Banks
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger and 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Since the MIC is manufactured by the same company who manufactures the Jeep Wrangler hard tops, I imagine the texture and color will be very similar.

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was looking at the Parasol line of products. Is that one of the two your interested in?
I don't have any experience with them or know anyone who has, so they weren't one of the 2 that I've considered and have experience with.

I've used Colorbond and SEM and they both have trim paint for exterior plastics, so one of those would be my go-to, at the moment.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looks possibly like a polyurethane composite as shown here -

Webasto Top
That page does say it has a polyurethane covered core, but the outer layer may be a different material:
" The exterior surfaces are covered by a grained, thermoformed, weatherproof film"

There are methods to identify plastics. One is a burn test, another is a simple 'does it float' test. Here's a random page with more info:
https://www.twi-global.com/technica...ts-can-i-identify-an-unknown-plastic-material

Even more info:
https://www.boedeker.com/Technical-Resources/Technical-Library/Plastic-Identification

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That page does say it has a polyurethane covered core, but the outer layer may be a different material:
" The exterior surfaces are covered by a grained, thermoformed, weatherproof film"

There are methods to identify plastics. One is a burn test, another is a simple 'does it float' test. Here's a random page with more info:
https://www.twi-global.com/technica...ts-can-i-identify-an-unknown-plastic-material

Even more info:
https://www.boedeker.com/Technical-Resources/Technical-Library/Plastic-Identification
Thank you.. I've seen YouTuber AVE do the burn test

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Top Differences.png
Hopefully that "getting darker as we get closer to final production" is true cause those earlier pics were pretty grey

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hopefully that "getting darker as we get closer to final production" is true cause those earlier pics were pretty grey
Our Bronco6g scouts have reported they were getting darker, both before it was announced and confirmed it after. I think we’re in a good spot.

I also really do want to point out that still photographs are never going to fully translate what we’ll see in reality.

Here’s a picture of a car in the bright sun. Normally we’d all see those window trim pieces as black, and I’m sure they are, but at this angle, with their texture, in a photograph, they look more Gray than the MIC tops.

Ford Bronco What Specfic Plastic Type is MIC? 1EB26B88-5A6D-477C-BEAE-E7B07032D3D8

::EDIT::

Hell, here’s a picture another member just posted. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/broncos-at-moab-pics-and-my-test-ride-experience.14576/

Remember how everyone complains the B pillar is black and the MIC should look more like that?

Ford Bronco What Specfic Plastic Type is MIC? 1617190243928

Point is, I think a lot of this is material and textures and it’s clear they have been working on making it appear darker... and in person and in context we are all going to stop noticing these differences pretty quick.

Ford Bronco What Specfic Plastic Type is MIC? 9B7CF1B3-103C-4772-8472-34D4C40DB56D
Ford Bronco What Specfic Plastic Type is MIC? 9C157CAF-B1C6-49B1-BCBF-92472CD7EBDD
Sponsored

Last edited: