Sponsored

What's Up With The Hard Top Sound Deadening Headliner Option?

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OK - so looking at the 2-door of a few editions and Std top is the Molded-In-Color Carbonized Gray- Painted. That looks fine to me - especially if later we may have the option of painting it another color. Then when looking at the Options, there is the Option of the Modular Hard Top Body Color-Painted. That may look even better - and of course it has the removable panels - and again that maybe even look better if later we may have the option of painting it another color. But then when looking at the B L and F E models under Comfort & Convenience there is another Option for the Hard Top - Hard Top Sound Deadening Headliner. That sets off a few alarms to me! Does that mean the hard top alone is not going to adequately dampen the interior from street noise and maybe not adequately insulate the interior from the cold/heat? Does that mean that maybe the molded-in-color carbonized gray top may better dampen the interior from street noise and may better insulate the interior from cold/heat? And if the hard top sound deadening headliner is used, does that mean that the hard top panels are now no longer removable? Ford - customers with curious minds would like to know!
Sponsored

attworth

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover D2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you take a look at Jeep, they offer hard top headliners (along with a few aftermarket manufacturers.) The headliners make a decent difference in sound and temperature comfort.

We’ll see how well Ford designed this hardtop. Prior to the current generation Wrangler, the hardtop wasn’t a huge improvement over the soft top in terms of sound and temperature, and leaks were pretty common.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm expecting it to be loud and hot, yeah

The headliner should theoretically be custom-fit to each individual panel

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am planning on lining the hardtop on the 2 door. Keeps stereo sound, heat and a/c in (and unfortunately easier to hear your spouse), and keeps wind and MT tire noise out.

The nice ones give you a soft finished headliner look.

Wish I had done it on my JK, but not going to invest now ...

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Bronco has been designed around providing the best open top/no top experience available. I don’t think they’re gonna undo all of that just to cut down on road noise. As @BroncoKong Jr. said they’ll just attach insulation to each panel.

I would think the base hard top would be akin to the Heep hard top as far as road noise, and then the insulation does its thing to bring noise down on the option.

Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you take a look at Jeep, they offer hard top headliners (along with a few aftermarket manufacturers.) The headliners make a decent difference in sound and temperature comfort.

We’ll see how well Ford designed this hardtop. Prior to the current generation Wrangler, the hardtop wasn’t a huge improvement over the soft top in terms of sound and temperature, and leaks were pretty common.
I like the statement leaks "were" pretty common ;) should have used "still".

We are having many customers new to the Wrangler line complain in service about air and water leaks along with it being noisy...o_O

I still laugh when I hear them say it out loud.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a set on my JK. Definitely helps make the cabin a more pleasant place to be (soft panels to absorb sounds rather than hard panels to bounce them off).
In my Jeep they also help somewhat with Heating/AC, but not enough to justify them on their own.
I too want to see what Ford does with their hard top in general, but I’m planning on adding the extra panel option regardless.

attworth

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover D2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the statement leaks "were" pretty common ;) should have used "still".

We are having many customers new to the Wrangler line complain in service about air and water leaks along with it being noisy...o_O

I still laugh when I hear them say it out loud.
I think a lot of new Bronco owners are going to be disappointed. Having a removable roof is awesome, but you have to have reasonable expectations.

Luckily, Ford has had a very long time to make sure they do the best they can with this roof.

OP
OP
Ride Em Bronco

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does that mean that maybe the molded-in-color carbonized gray top may better dampen the interior from street noise and may better insulate the interior from cold/heat?

Sponsored

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does that mean that maybe the molded-in-color carbonized gray top may better dampen the interior from street noise and may better insulate the interior from cold/heat?
Compared against what?

EDIT: I think I get it. I believe that there is only one 2-door hard top available. It's always modular and always removable. The only difference is the color. I think they just have used poorly inconsistent wording in their materials. All just my opinion.

Last edited:

gvmumbral

Wildtrak
First Name
gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Element, 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
will there be a 2-door version with NO removable roof?

OP
OP
Ride Em Bronco

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Compared against what?

EDIT: I think I get it. I believe that there is only one 2-door hard top available. It's always modular and always removable. The only difference is the color. I think they just have used poorly inconsistent wording in their materials. All just my opinion.
Molded-in-color carbonized gray top (removable two front pieces and one rear piece) is the std top for the 2-door in some editions - base, big bend, etc. and the modular hard top body-colored painted (with the removable panels) is an option for the 2-door - but they are two different tops. I am trying to determine which one would provide the best insulation from road noise and hot/cold for the interior.

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Molded-in-color carbonized gray top (removable two front pieces and one rear piece) is the std top for the 2-door in some editions - base, big bend, etc. and the modular hard top body-colored painted (with the removable panels) is an option for the 2-door - but they are two different tops. I am trying to determine which one would provide the best insulation from road noise and hot/cold for the interior.
Thanks for the correction. Can you cite any links that detail these two different 2-door roof options. I'm having difficulty fully comprehending based on your description. It sounds like you're saying that the modular hard top isn't fully removable, but may be more like the T-tops of the 80s. If so, I would assume that this would be the quieter option.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the correction. Can you cite any links that detail these two different 2-door roof options. I'm having difficulty fully comprehending based on your description. It sounds like you're saying that the modular hard top isn't fully removable, but may be more like the T-tops of the 80s. If so, I would assume that this would be the quieter option.
All tops are removable

I am trying to determine which one would provide the best insulation from road noise and hot/cold for the interior.
Can't see why there'd be any difference
Sponsored