Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The current average price for gas is 2.85. so your calculations are off.
And if this is a determining factor for a purchase then it means you do not have the money to buy the car and should definitely not buy it.
This ^. Its $83/month difference at $4.00/gal. If $83/month makes a difference in a person's monthly finances, that's unfortunate, but an indication that the person is outside the financial class to drop $40K - $55K on a vehicle.
Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EcoBoost

Eco Boost

Eco, Boost.

Eco, or boost.

Pick one.
Its true you have to pick one, but its also true that you can pick either one at any time. That's the whole point of the downsize + boost trend. Incredible BSFC when you are on light duty cycles and boost to fill the gaps.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

And if this is a determining factor for a purchase then it means you do not have the money to buy the car and should definitely not buy it.
🤦

Lifecycle costs are most definitely a determining factor for whether or not you do have the money for a vehicle, not just the purchase price. As my mom used to tell me when I was a kid too- when you grow up you'll understand.

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
$2.58 here in Texas... that'd come out to $650 / year ... totally worth it.
Again if 650 is scaring you then you should not be purchasing a brand new vehicle at this price point.

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
🤦

Lifecycle costs are most definitely a determining factor for whether or not you do have the money for a vehicle, not just the purchase price. As my mom used to tell me when I was a kid too- when you grow up you'll understand.
Hate to tell you this but if you can not afford that minor cost you can not afford the Bronco. That lifecycle factor if very minor.
And I get the comment about growing up... But I promise am doing alright 🙂

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It seems that there are two types of people on the forum, those interested in mileage/range, and those not. I appreciate that you tried to ward the former off with your initial post, but it never seems to work. There are people on here that apparently would be happy to drive a Bronco in gallons per mile. The silent majority would appreciate quality powertrain engineering and will probably drive conservatively at least on the hwy if not everywhere except off-road, and a few stop lights. These two groups are also going to report very different real world results, there are probably folks here who could manage sub 15 mpg even if you gave them a 100 hp NA diesel. I absolutely expect the 2.3 to achieve combined over 20, if not mid 20's for the hypermilers. The 2.7 should absolutely get at least 20 on the hwy at reasonable speeds (sub 80). Obviously gearing and tires play a roll in this, but there is a reason the OEM doesn't ship the Bronco with boggers, I imagine that even the sasquatch should return reasonable mileage in OEM form. If the Bronco could not manage over 15 squatched with reasonable driving habits I would be absolutely disgusted. Not because I want a Prius, or cant afford the gas, but because it would be shameful lazy engineering. Perhaps I have high expectations, but hey, I work there! In short if you know how to drive reasonably conservatively I wouldn't be too worried.
I think your numbers are accurate. I doubt the 2.3L will return much more than a 1 - 2 MPG better average over the 2.7 depending on the combination of one's personal use between highway and city driving.

Reactions: abe

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
🤦

I agree with this, but my daily driver (over 30,000/year) and with 400,000 miles on the clock, I've kept detailed cost records since mile zero, so I have real-word data to fall back on. My records indicate fuel cost is the highest percentage of cost for vehicle lifetime cost. Maintenance (95% DIY) is 28%, fuel cost (93-octane) 39%, vehicle cost (price + loan cost) 33%. Total cost per-mile, which is the real metric to use, is 30-cents per mile.

If fuel cost as part of the equation for total life cycle cost of operating a vehicle wasn't an issue, the fuel price and MPG average wouldn't be on the Maroney sicker of the vehicle.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This ^. Its $83/month difference at $4.00/gal. If $83/month makes a difference in a person's monthly finances, that's unfortunate, but an indication that the person is outside the financial class to drop $40K - $55K on a vehicle.
I'm amazed at the judgment in statements like this.

Some people are in a class to buy a $60k vehicle because they do pay attention to $83/month expenses. They're often the people most apt to be in a position to buy the vehicle because they're paying it all in cash they've saved.

Knowing the monthly operating costs of said vehicle is important to some people.

I'm not one of those people, btw...but the idea that wanting to know, and hoping for, decent gas mileage is a sign someone's finances don't support buying a Bronco is insulting.

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was projecting a bit out beyond this year as I envision gas is not going to stay below $3/gal for much longer and already in several places across the US it's already well above. Also your second point is not true. People have different concepts of value. It'd be like saying if money is a determining factor in not getting the Sasquatch package then you can't afford a Bronco. Different people place different weight on different factors and whether they can afford or not certain things they may still have limits where it's not worth it. I can easily afford an additional $1000 a year towards the bronco but do I want the Bronco so badly that I want to spend an additional $1000 a year on it or would I rather get something else and put that money towards other things? Similarly, I can afford sasquatch, I can afford a lux package Badlands, but I'm getting a Black Diamond, with no squatch and mid because I evaluated what those upgrades were worth to me and decided I am comfortable with less. Not everyone will value MPG the same way, but not everyone is die-hard Bronco supporters like they are in this board. If the Bronco doesn't deliver on MPG it will end up hurting when eventually regular customers or even reservation holders who haven't been paying as much attention see poor MPG and start evaluating if the bronco is really what they want.

Sponsored

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Some people are in a class to buy a $60k vehicle because they do pay attention to $83/month expenses. They're often the people most apt to be in a position to buy the vehicle because they're paying it all in cash they've saved.

Knowing the monthly operating costs of said vehicle is important to some people.

I'm not one of those people, btw...but the idea that wanting to know, and hoping for, decent gas mileage is a sign someone's finances don't support buying a Bronco is insulting.
Not to mention, the constant retort of "it's a 4x4 off-road vehicle, MPG shouldn't matter/I don't care what MPG is" is such a flawed argument when it ignores that MPG still matters greatly because like it or not, the true offroading community, the ones who truly don't care about MPG because this vehicle is for performance and a lifestyle vehicle is not nearly large enough to support the Bronco alone. As much as people shit on mall-crawlers, without them the Bronco wouldn't/couldn't exist. Same with Jeeps. The Bronco does not have the brand presence or recognition the Wrangler does over the last 20-30 years and needs to win the general public more than it does the offroading community and flat out people who can afford this vehicle will reconsider on MPG if it's not competitive and that trend will only continue to move further into the camp of MPG being a determining factor with time as gas prices continue to rise and more fuel efficient vehicle continue to release.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

This ^
If the Bronco was going to be a toy for me I wouldn't care what it gets for MPG. But it's not going to be a toy for me, it's going to be my DD.

I would kind of like to know what I am getting into. Just about every car I have ever owned I have looked at all costs before getting it. Fuel costs, insurance costs, maintence costs, what tires cost to replace etc etc. I like knowing what I am getting into.

Plus know the MPG would help me calculate the mileage range which I am bit more interested in

Last edited:

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Raptor (5,500 lbs, 2.5L EcoBoost, 35" tires) gets 15 city/18 highway, so I would expect the Sasquatch will be slightly better than that. Maybe 16 city/19 highway for Sasquatch. Around 18 city/22 highway for non-Sas. Quote me!

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please look at the official ratings for the Ranger Tremor and then compare specs to your build.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
It seems that there are two types of people on the forum, those interested in mileage/range, and those not. I appreciate that you tried to ward the latter off with your initial post, but it never seems to work. There are people on here that apparently would be happy to drive a Bronco in gallons per mile. The silent majority would appreciate quality powertrain engineering and will probably drive conservatively at least on the hwy if not everywhere except off-road, and a few stop lights.

These two groups are also going to report very different real world results, there are probably folks here who could manage sub 15 mpg even if you gave them a 100 hp NA diesel. I absolutely expect the 2.3 to achieve combined over 20, if not mid 20's for the hypermilers. The 2.7 should absolutely get at least 20 on the hwy at reasonable speeds (sub 80). Obviously gearing and tires play a role in this, but there is a reason the OEM doesn't ship the Bronco with boggers, I imagine that even the sasquatch should return reasonable mileage in OEM form. If the Bronco could not manage over 15 squatched with reasonable driving habits I would be absolutely disgusted. Not because I want a Prius, or cant afford the gas, but because it would be shameful lazy engineering. Perhaps I have high expectations, but hey, I work there! In short if you know how to drive reasonably conservatively I wouldn't be too worried.
I agree and disagree

I agree because if we can’t get a V8 then we better get damn good MPG. If my H2 can get 13MPG with full time 4wd 37s and old 4 speed and 7,000lb running weight then the Bronco had better blow it out of the water with an engine less than half its size, smaller tires, 6 more speeds, 2wd instead of full time 4wd, nearly a full ton less weight and 18 years of technological advancements.

Plus for a 16 gallon tank (exactly half the size of the H2) I want better MPG to keep me from stopping.

But I disagree because I mean who honestly cares at the end of the day? If you can’t have fun in life your not living right. I’ll be damned if I’m going to spend my life driving a fusion or an equinox living that mundane routine.
I greatly prefer having fun over worrying about a couple dollars.
Sponsored