Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This ^
If the Bronco was going to be a toy for me I wouldn't care what it gets for MPG. But it's not going to be a toy for me, it's going to be my DD.

I would kind of like to know what I am getting into. Just about every car I have ever owned I have looked at all costs before getting it. Fuel costs, insurance costs, maintnance costs, what tires cost to replace etc etc. I like knowing what I am getting into.

Plus know the MPG would help me calculate the mileage range which I am bit more interested in
So the basic form factor of the Bronco tells you mostly where it will fall regarding annual fuel cost. It has lousy aerodynamics, in some trims it has large tires and matching gearing to accommodate a wide range of operational scenarios (rock crawling to high-speed highway driving). The Bronco's fuel consumption not going to be that different than a Jeep Wrangler. If you look over the various classes of vehicles most models from different manufacturers get nearly identical (statistically) fuel mileage ratings. It's physics and chemistry laws at work, not magical engineering.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm amazed at the judgment in statements like this.

Some people are in a class to buy a $60k vehicle because they do pay attention to $83/month expenses. They're often the people most apt to be in a position to buy the vehicle because they're paying it all in cash they've saved.

Knowing the monthly operating costs of said vehicle is important to some people.

I'm not one of those people, btw...but the idea that wanting to know, and hoping for, decent gas mileage is a sign someone's finances don't support buying a Bronco is insulting.
I'm being realistic, not insulting. I drive about 40,000 miles a year, so trust me, understanding operating cost is important to me. I keep track of it for every vehicle I own.

$50K+ for a vehicle brings a financial commitment with it regardless if you've saved for it, or get a loan for it. If a few percent change in the EPA estimated fuel consumption moves your monthly fuel bill into a financial issue for you, then it's not insulting to evaluate the situation of Buying a Bronco as not a well thought-out decision.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am guessing 15-18 w/ Sasquatch and a little higher without. If people are getting the bronco and can't afford the extra gas cost compared to their current vehicle they probably shouldn't be getting the bronco in the first place.

bajabronco57

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am guessing 15-18 w/ Sasquatch and a little higher without. If people are getting the bronco and can't afford the extra gas cost compared to their current vehicle they probably shouldn't be getting the bronco in the first place.
The MPG isn't a huge issue for me on cost, it's really about how far can you get on a tank. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2D is getting a 16.9G tank so that puts it about 300 miles per tank. That's not great if you're driving to your off roading location, wheeling, then back... but also not terrible.

The 4D has a 20.8 listed so that's 370ish miles per fill up which I'm perfectly fine with. I think optimally I'd like to see the 2D get another gallon for the tank but I'm getting a 4D so I'm more than happy with my distance.

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I currently have 2 vehicles with the 2.7TT...a 2018 Fusion Sport and 2015 Edge Sport. My wife drives the Edge and currently gets 18.6 (on 3,300 trip odo) which is about 70% city driving (I know it's not 100% apples to apples but should be close). She drives normal. In the Fusion I average 23.5 with 85% highway driving and I drive with a lead foot. Around town I average 17-18. I LOVE feeling the TT power so YMMV.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was at a Bronco event and I asked about the MPG. The guy who I was talking to would not answer me. BUT then he immediately changed the topic and said "2017 was a great year! Yeah 17 was a great year." I said so 17mpg on the SAS? He looked at me at and said 17 was a great year and walked away.

:)

Last edited:

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The MPG isn't a huge issue for me on cost, it's really about how far can you get on a tank. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2D is getting a 16.9G tank so that puts it about 300 miles per tank. That's not great if you're driving to your off roading location, wheeling, then back... but also not terrible.

The 4D has a 20.8 listed so that's 370ish miles per fill up which I'm perfectly fine with. I think optimally I'd like to see the 2D get another gallon for the tank but I'm getting a 4D so I'm more than happy with my distance.
I am getting the 2 door and 300 miles is enough. I get about 300 miles with my current car and have like a 25 mile round trip to work, but I also only have to work 3 days a week.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree and disagree

If my H2 can get 13MPG with full time 4wd 37s and old 4 speed and 7,000lb running weight then the Bronco had better blow it out of the water with an engine less than half its size, smaller tires, 6 more speeds, 2wd instead of full time 4wd, nearly a full ton less weight and 18 years of technological advancements.

Plus for a 16 gallon tank (exactly half the size of the H2) I want better MPG to keep me from stopping.
Totally agree, this is why I am both surprised that people seem to "not care" and have such low expectations!

I also agree about having fun, I really am not concerned with the practical limitations of bad mileage. Its more so about a benchmark comparison, like what you provided. I know the Bronco is a smaller vehicle than the H2, that is supposed to include some inherent advantages and disadvantages. Mileage should be on the advantage side. For example I get 16-18 MPG in my truck, granted its a diesel, but its also huge, running 35's, shaped like a brick, no overdrive (2500 rpm to go 70, that's crazy high for a diesel), and over 30 years old. So I would be disappointed in Ford if they couldn't top this with a midsizer, rugged and boxy as it may be.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I've never owned a 2.7, never would own a 2.3, but we've had a few 3.5s EBs. Like said previously, Eco and Boost don't belong in the same word, it should be a 2.7 Eco/Boost. If you drive like I do, the boost will not get you any better MPG than an equivalent V8. But the turbo is fun. If you drive like the type of person I would run off the road, then you can get some decent mileage and the benefits of the eco. Driving habits play a huge role, so the window sticker is pretty meaningless to me. I know I don't drive to ever see then numbers on that sticker.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well stated. And completely agreed. I appreciate your sentiment.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

just for a fun reference, at super cel east, the average was they were running approx 100 miles a day for the off road drives and the Big Bend Sasquatch I was in was hovering around 17.1 this was mid day friday as I looked at the dash info.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So the basic form factor of the Bronco tells you mostly where it will fall regarding annual fuel cost. It has lousy aerodynamics, it has in some trims arge tires and matching gearing to accommodate a wide range of operational scenarios. It's not going to be that different than a Jeep Wrangler. If you look over the various classes of vehicles most models from different manufacturers get nearly identical (statistically) fuel mileage ratings. It's physics and chemistry laws at work, not magical engineering.
that's true, should be able to guesstimate based on other comparable vehicles.

Wrangler unlimited is rated at 17 and 23 but vast majority here are acting like there is no chance a Bronco will be close to that lol

Thurmy7

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban, Tacoma, Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just don't understand why they're waiting. The only explanation that makes sense are 1) the numbers suck and they don't want to hurt preorders or 2) it sucks and they are actively trying to improve it.
They're developing new fender flares with cupholders for better aerodynamics.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

better MPG just translates into better range to me, cost of gas aside. I plan to go places where gas stations are not on every corner, so better range = longer trials and/or less or no extra gas to carry. If a gallon can carry me 15 or 20 miles makes a difference, not so much for daily driving (though I get little enjoyment out of using a gas pump) but when exploring.

Plus less money spent on gas means you can spend it on something else or put it away for a rainy day.
Sponsored