swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Although a lot of information was provided in the OP on this tune (here), I decided to post up a new thread on the topic. There were many unanswered questions about what this extensive tune does. Inquiring minds want to know the details!

I had some fantastic support/correspondence directly with Whipple on their tune. Thank you Whipple! Their willingness to respond quickly and answer all questions goes a very long way to convincing me that this will be a great choice.

For background here were a few questions that were partially or not addressed.

Some additional questions.

1. This tune claims to remaps the gas pedal. Don't the GOAT modes and/or individual setting in the Braptor already do this? If so do they still do so? Does the remap affect all modes?

2. This tune claims to alter ("improve") both shift points and shift strategies. Same question as above, is it compatible with automatic and manual modes as well as the associated changes that various GOAT modes already change the TCU? I would like a lot more detail on what this is actually doing, across all modes, auto, manual and GOAT modes.
3. Is it possible to leave out all pedal and TCU changes?

Also, still didn't see any community response to my question in post #37, probably best to be answered directly by Whipple or @LethalPerformance . Thanks.
1. Whipple increased the "driver demand engine torque table" which affects all drive modes. Each drive mode has its own pedal modifier to make it feel more or less responsive depending on the mode. The pedal modifiers are stock, so each drive mode will still feel different and keep its intended characteristic.

The driver demand engine torque table is a 3D table with pedal position on one axis and engine rpm on the other. The table is populated with desired torque valves for the computer to achieve based on your pedal position and engine speed. In order to make more power, this table is raised at higher pedal position and then blended into the stock values at lower pedal positions to create a linear feeling. This is one of many areas in the ECU that must be changed to make more power, but the drive demand is one that directly affects how the vehicle drives. When we say “more throttle response” that is a simple way of describing this change.

2. The TCU is changed only for normal mode. Whipple felt that normal mode did not suit the vehicle, whereas sport mode did, but was too large of a jump up based on the factory normal mode. In factory normal mode gear skipping occurs for fuel economy purposes. So in normal mode, they revised the upshift, downshift and coast-down shift maps (i.e. higher rpms for these) and eliminated skip-ship upshifts to create a sportier feel. Sport mode is still much more aggressive than normal mode, so this new normal mode is still perfectly suited for daily driving as intended. The shift torque modulation in normal mode is also revised so it produces smoother, more positive shifts during part throttle conditions.

3. At this time there is no option for ECU tuning without TCU changes.

Some additional information.

4. Redline: The engine redline is increased to 6500 rpm, but the WOT shift points are at 6000 rpm in auto shift modes which keeps the engine it in the highest average power across gears. I wonder if the digital tach now shows 6500 rpm?

5. The speed limit is increased to 135 mph Further evidence supporting my claim that a top speed bump is likely safe despite tires having a S speed rating of 112 mph. A lively debate on that here on the forum. Also, looks like post #16 there there got the wrong tire spec and speed rating. It is 116S and C load rating, top speed 112 mph, not 116 mph.

6. Octane and tune accommodation thereof: This tune is intended for 91+ pump gasoline using the (R+M)/2 scale. It can also support up to 30% ethanol content. There will be little to no gains beyond 93 octane and achieving that with an equivalent 93 octane with an ethanol blend (E30) will make a bit more power than a non-ethanol 93 octane. The tune will automatically adapt to different octanes with/without ethanol as the factory auto octane feature is still enabled. So if one were to fill up with 87 octane by mistake, the PCM will reduce boost and timing to a safer level. It does this by monitoring engine knock, so the engine has to knock to lean down which is why low octane fuel is not recommended.

Images directly from Whipple website.

590_558_Tomahawk_V1_80015175140325a736d302ac2d.jpg

Braptor_stock_vs_Stg1_91_and_93.jpeg
Sponsored

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So basically by switching to sport mode you obtain the most power available, even more than the whipple tune provides?

OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So basically by switching to sport mode you obtain the most power available, even more than the whipple tune provides?
No, not at all. Read the post again.

I'm reasonably sure peak (modified via Whipple tune) power is available in all modes. That said just like with stock modes each will feel different.

My Friend Flicka

Black Diamond
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond Bronco, Acura, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just drove this today. Sport mode feels sooooo much better, downshifts are no longer annoyingly harsh. Throttle response is greatly improved and the vehicle feels a lot quicker.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m assuming by TCU you are referring to a transmission control unit, but the Bronco doesn’t have a separate transmission module. It only has a PCM which controls both the engine and transmission.

The TCU on a bronco is the Telematics control module, which is for the infotainment system.

Sponsored

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Did they share with you their rational about the device not being able to store the stock map? I know you can request the stock map back if you need to revert to it, but in todays modern area seems like a major product miss.

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just drove this today. Sport mode feels sooooo much better, downshifts are no longer annoyingly harsh. Throttle response is greatly improved and the vehicle feels a lot quicker.
someone fixed the sport mode downshifts???? I'M IN !!!

OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’m assuming by TCU you are referring to a transmission control unit, but the Bronco doesn’t have a separate transmission module. It only has a PCM which controls both the engine and transmission.

The TCU on a bronco is the Telematics control module, which is for the infotainment system.
Thanks for the correction.

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What is Ford's stance on warranty for this unit? Can't recall if that was covered elsewhere or not. Or is this a use at your own discretion tune. Why the Ford tuner was a nice option if it ever comes out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Did they share with you their rational about the device not being able to store the stock map? I know you can request the stock map back if you need to revert to it, but in todays modern area seems like a major product miss.
No and I didn't ask. Email their sales team and add the response here.

OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What is Ford's stance on warranty for this unit? Can't recall if that was covered elsewhere or not. Or is this a use at your own discretion tune. Why the Ford tuner was a nice option if it ever comes out.
Pretty sure it was mentioned in the other thread that there is no warranty. Of course Magnuson-Moss Act should still apply so that may not be enforcable, bug would then likely require a battle...

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford hasn't decided to make a tune for the raptor, in fact they are leaning toward no. As for warrenty, they need to prove the tune caused any issues you may have. I would check with your service manager and make sure they're tune friendly.......some are not.

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

More bad news, spoke to COBB today, they have no plans to provide an Accessport for the Bronco Raptor either.

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Pretty sure it was mentioned in the other thread that there is no warranty. Of course Magnuson-Moss Act should still apply so that may not be enforcable, bug would then likely require a battle...
A battle that anyone fighting would lose. Having been in the tuning world for decades it's rare that a lawsuit would be won when it comes to this type of modification. It's a simple equation, they will say they built the motor to safely tolerate a set amount of power /load and based solely on their fuel, timing, and safety protocols. Thus any modifications stressed said motor and drivetrain or changed / corrupted their programming and data parameters and caused any level of undesirable outcome.

Very hard to win this battle. For those who think they will simply return it to stock and go from there typically data that impacts the ECU is ghosted in the background and can be seen by Ford, typically not the dealer, but there can be flags. BMW often does this (fasta data) and can use the data to deny a claim but typically does not so as to keep their fan base intact, so it's a case by case scenario.

Some aftermarket companies have agreements with manufacturers and allows for some wiggle room. Which is why I ask if Whipple is working with Ford or not.
Sponsored