Sponsored

who really wanted a hardtop and settled for the soft top?

HereInOhio

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We wanted the hard top but didn't want to wait. We're in Ohio and was concerned with the winters. After having it this last winter we don't even know if we are going to get a hard top. It still leaves a sour taste Ford being completely fine forcing people to go to a soft top due to their lack of production coordination and not providing any rectification for it even at a later date. My dealer said it wouldn't be over a few grand but I know they will probably try to soak us for $4-5k if not more.

This whole experience that should have been enjoyful has been a complete shit show the way Ford managed it. Nothing is wrong with supply issues but to keep promising it and re-promising it, come on, learn from your mistakes dammit! Then the dealer playing with the price even though we had an agreement and basically saying "we'll we can sell it for $10k more, you want it or not". In my mind that's just not the right way to do business. I still didn't get my Ford points despite contacting my sales rep several times. Not that I care about $1k at this point but it's the principle they are screwing me every chance they get. They need to learn to please use lube at least.
Sponsored

WreckItRussell

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old and Busted Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I switched from a hard top to a soft top back whenever everybody had to reorder for the MY22 changes. I picked up my Bronco this week. I have been pleasantly surprised with it so far. The quality of the top seems pretty good and I can't really say its any louder than the last vehicle I had.

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had an August 2020 Reservation, switched from MIC (V1.0) to Soft in March 2021 and took delivery December '21. Had I not, I likely would have still been waiting for a Rev 2 MIC until 2022. It has been a joy crushing the mtn snow and blizzards. The heater and heated seats are as hot as the sun so cabin was ALWAYS warm. Only issue was during a blizzard when driving in a 50mph cross-wind was a bit like a hang glider but minimal draft. Having it down in 75 degrees has been delicious. No louder than the Jeeps we have owned and drives 300% better.
Only pause we have had is cargo area security but considering secure Locker for the cargo area. 95% no regrets Very happy to have the 6G to drive and top down is a riot... until there are more units on the street, still stops traffic.

Soft top Regrets
1% - Window Wrinkle - Yes, it absolutely is a negative but mostly Purists really GAF
4% - Cargo Security

Pros
20% Blizzard and Mountain Driving
25% Mud Rut Sand Slop for Worksites
30% Spectacular Handling on Dry/Snowy/Slush/Sandy Surfaces for work

Festivus
5% General Stares when blasting through slop
5% Ease of Top Down hot weather cruising
10% I have it and was able to make use of it all winter

Net = 95% Positive 5% Soft Top Regret

Last edited:

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We wanted the hard top but didn't want to wait. We're in Ohio and was concerned with the winters. After having it this last winter we don't even know if we are going to get a hard top. It still leaves a sour taste Ford being completely fine forcing people to go to a soft top due to their lack of production coordination and not providing any rectification for it even at a later date. My dealer said it wouldn't be over a few grand but I know they will probably try to soak us for $4-5k if not more.

This whole experience that should have been enjoyful has been a complete shit show the way Ford managed it. Nothing is wrong with supply issues but to keep promising it and re-promising it, come on, learn from your mistakes dammit! Then the dealer playing with the price even though we had an agreement and basically saying "we'll we can sell it for $10k more, you want it or not". In my mind that's just not the right way to do business. I still didn't get my Ford points despite contacting my sales rep several times. Not that I care about $1k at this point but it's the principle they are screwing me every chance they get. They need to learn to please use lube at least.
Make sure you call the FordPass Rewards directly for the points.
835-385-0516

Our dealer was very clear and honest with us and said the Factory is the only place to get it done.

Drafting_Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 GT/CS, 20 Honda Insight EX & 19 Mazda CX9
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm getting really tired of waiting. I have been holding out for a hard top, but I'm starting to think that might just be foolish, ... with no real communication from ford about anything, I have NO idea how long it might take - for all I know, it could be 2025 before I see my order with a hard top - so I'm starting to entertain the idea of settling for a soft top. I live in Sacramento CA, where summers can get quite hot (115 or so) for a couple weeks during the summer, and then typically in the low 100's for the rest of the summer. Winters are mild, with not a lot of rain.

For those who decided to go with the soft top, even though you really wanted a hard top - how happy/sad/disappointed/surprised are you with the soft top? Was it worth the sacrifice? Is it maybe better than you thought it would be? Worse?
10/15/20 reserved a 2dr BD. Order placed with dealer 2/20/21. Order changed to 4dr BD 8/15/ due to hardtop fiasco. Reordered a My 2022 in Nov of 2021, got a build email with build week of 1/17/22. Stuck on dirt mountain for two months and counting. Said, f-k it and walked into local dealer on last day to place an order back on 3/7/22 for a 2dr base.

TLDR - switching to a soft too still hasn't produced a bronco for me. I'll take the first one that arrives.

Sponsored

HereInOhio

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Make sure you call the FordPass Rewards directly for the points.
835-385-0516

Our dealer was very clear and honest with us and said the Factory is the only place to get it done.
Thanks, I will do that. Was planning on it but I already talked to our dealer a few times and they said they would be the ones to take care of it. Par for the course I guess.

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bless their heartsā€¦

lol. Make sure the pints get into your bucket.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I passed by a floppy top yesterday. They look even worse in person.

8cam

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish I could order a soft top. I actually don't want the hard top, but I have to have the 2-door so I'm stuck. Hell I'd order it with NO top if they would let me!

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wish I could order a soft top. I actually don't want the hard top, but I have to have the 2-door so I'm stuck. Hell I'd order it with NO top if they would let me!
I wonder if theyā€™ll ever offer a factory soft top for the 2-door. Isnā€™t it kinda weird that they donā€™t?

Sponsored

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I now fit this category, but I ordered a Bestop Trektop to replace the OEM top. Iā€™ll get a hard top at some point when prices stabilize/decline due to increased availability.

Last edited:

cyclonend

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Put in my order with a soft top to avoid the constraint. I am super glad I did now. I love the soft top and the ease of use. I live in GA though.

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I switched. I bet Ford sunsets the MIC around 2024 and theyā€™ll end up relics. I just canā€™t see Ford keeping the design around. Ultimately for me it came down to being able to order the Bestop for a reasonable price if I donā€™t like the OEM soft top. That was my backup plan for the MIC too so why not get the truck sooner. And I like he looks better than either Ford top.

I expect / hope to enjoy the easy convertible feature. Maybe a in few years Iā€™ll be tired of that or realize I donā€™t use it often. By then Iā€™ll have tons of options, including a bunch of used MIC tops.
Sponsored