Sponsored

Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler?

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BMW is known for inline 6 engines, and the raptor sounds like a weed eater, forgive me but there’s no way I’m putting up with that crap. Fords new 7.3L has been averaging high 14s low 15s real world, that’s daily driver kind of gas mileage out of a HD gas truck.
And if you were a car enthusiast you would know they are known for more than the straight 6. You won't put up with an incredible performing machine but you'll put up with an H2 Hummer? I think we're done here.
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
And if you were a car enthusiast you would know they are known for more than the straight 6. You won't put up with an incredible performing machine but you'll put up with an H2 Hummer? I think we're done here.
BMW is absolutely best known for inline 6 engines, that’s where they built their niche for decades. Not quite sure what you have wrong with H2s but it does an excellent job with an excellent drivetrain that is overbuilt.

Also please let me know what “incredible performing machine” you are speaking of, because I know full well that sentence does not belong anywhere near a BMW money pit.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi Everyone, Responding to the original question of “why the Bronco?” Well, it’s a long story, but I’ll be coming over from a string of BMW ownership (Past 7 cars/suvs). These have been the 3, then 4 series, as well as a couple of X3 SUVs driven mostly by my wife. Each car and one of the X3s have all been M Sport models and I’ve been a member of a few BMW car clubs and loved driving on mountain passes, the Tail of the Dragon, and Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. I also have a number of instructed track days at both BMW and Porsche Performance Driving Schools in Spartanburg and Birmingham.

Why say all of this? Well its some background that has led me to a 4x4 for off-road driving. Because I love the mountains, I’ve often felt I was passing through too fast, often wanting to stay and camp because I grew up camping and miss it. Last fall, told a number of my friends of a desire to give up on sports cars and switch to a 4x4; most thought I was joking, but have been dead serious.

I just can‘t do a Wrangler, as there are too many compromises. I don’t like Toyota, although I do respect the brand, as I feel their technology and innovation just lags and is far too much money for status quo, although reliable.

Was cross shopping the then rumored new Bronco with the Land Rover Defender. However, that thing is more of a typical SUV modded, but when you add everything you need to truly go off-road, I can’t get the configuration to under $76K! That price is a non-starter for me.

I’ve never owned a Ford; in fact, this will be my first American made car, but it excites me like few other cars have recently. I can feel the pride, aggression, and confidence of the new Bronco and Ford on full display and I love it! The factory aftermarket partnerships, the true off-road gear, the affordability, style, wild colors, etc appeal both to the midlife crisis and young people alike. Only an American icon can bring out these emotions in a vehicle.

It’ll be the 2 door for me, just need room for my wife or buddy, fridge., tent, recovery gear, etc, will be top off-road trim, small lift, 35’ MT tires, steel bumpers, winch, rock sliders, amber and added LED light bar, and I‘m thinking Area 51 paint color because WTFNot! The orange color is appealing as well.

Will be buying around this time next year and can’t wait to get out in the woods with you guys as we have fun and smack talk the Wrangler crowd In innocent fun.

Last edited:

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BMW is absolutely best known for inline 6 engines, that’s where they built their niche for decades. Not quite sure what you have wrong with H2s but it does an excellent job with an excellent drivetrain that is overbuilt.

Also please let me know what “incredible performing machine” you are speaking of, because I know full well that sentence does not belong anywhere near a BMW money pit.
The Raptor you said you couldn't put up with hence the put up with comment. And you don't think BMW's have been incredible performing machines? Yeah you've made it quite clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Raptor you said you couldn't put up with hence the put up with comment. And you don't think BMW's have been incredible performing machines? Yeah you've made it quite clear you have no idea what you're talking about.
I’ll keep my SS sedan, chassis tuned by BMW engineers without the failure prone components.
And yes the Raptor absolutely sounds awful, that’s a common opinion based on the number of times I’ve heard that unprovoked.

Sponsored

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is a ‘17 5.3L 4x4 4 door Z71 that my work provided me, if it weren’t for the Mexican build quality and likely 3.27 gearing it probably wouldn’t be a bad truck to spend my own money on. Granted at that point the 6.2L gets only marginally worse real world so that’s likely where I would go.
You, my friend, are a member of the 1% :D According to Fuelly only 1 out of 280 drivers of that truck have had real world mileage like you get. I would guess driving around eastern NC has something to do with it. EPA estimates are just standardized comparisons between all vehicles and usually conservative. I always beat them when driving a stick (except when I find a fun mountain road with no one in front of me - then my mileage sucks:LOL:. I bet if you drove the 2.3 Bronco you would probably get north of 35!

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
You, my friend, are a member of the 1% :D According to Fuelly only 1 out of 280 drivers of that truck have had real world mileage like you get. I would guess driving around eastern NC has something to do with it. EPA estimates are just standardized comparisons between all vehicles and usually conservative. I always beat them when driving a stick (except when I find a fun mountain road with no one in front of me - then my mileage sucks:LOL:. I bet if you drove the 2.3 Bronco you would probably get north of 35!
Maybe so! I may be finding out for myself with the 2.3L. Though I have all intentions of getting the steepest gears so who knows.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’ll keep my SS sedan, chassis tuned by BMW engineers without the failure prone components.
And yes the Raptor absolutely sounds awful, that’s a common opinion based on the number of times I’ve heard that unprovoked.
Okay, I'll bite, why are you here, maybe I missed it as I did not read everyone of your posts, were you seriously interested in buying a Bronco and you are just having a debate about engines?

Or are you here from FCA Marketing to enlighten us?

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Okay, I'll bite, why are you here, maybe I missed it as I did not read everyone of your posts, were you seriously interested in buying a Bronco and you are just having a debate about engines?

Or are you here from FCA Marketing to enlighten us?
FCA marketing? I don’t own an FCA car or work for FCA, I don’t believe I’ve even brought up FCA in this thread. I’ve made mention multiple times I’ll likely settle for the 2.3L after experience with the 2.7L. Barring Ford fixing the engine choices to something more enticing of course.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Over the Jeep JKUR:
Torque
Hopefully towing capacity
Nostalgia

Over the 4Runner:
Iconic, vs non-iconic vehicle
Off Road Capability
Torque
Nostalgia

Sponsored
OP
OP

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe so! I may be finding out for myself with the 2.3L. Though I have all intentions of getting the steepest gears so who knows.
Are you getting the 2.3 for your Bronco?

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Never the less, anyone buying an off-road vehicle worried about fuel economy is a moron or a mall crawler.
exactly. MPG is not my main concern when I am throwing 37"+ tires on stuff. or stuffing as large of a motor as can be made to fit

RIverRunner

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 and F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One thing I see if the option list is real, is if you can get 35's (315's) from the factory, this tells me that Ford has built the running gear to handle that size offroad. A jeep can't handle 35's on stock axles without modification. I have witnessed 3 jeeps (LJ and 2 JK's) that broke axle shafts on trails. They were not beating on the rig just crawling.

I also hope we can mix and match to get the powertrain we want. I'm on a budget and I normally like to get just the things I need. I ordered my F350 and it's a low end XLT but it's got only what I wanted and it's perfect to me. Hope to do the same on the bronco if it works out.
Sponsored