Why did you get the 2.3 over the 2.7?

Reasoning behind the 2.3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freezing0K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CRV (I just like Broncos Ok?)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just curious to see why people got the 2.3 over the 2.7.
Sponsored

mrxg78

Badlands
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a heads up if you don’t get a lot of responses I think this has been asked multiple times.

For me it was easy. This is my toy, I like my toys in manual. End of story 😎

Last edited:

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Plus plenty of go faster & more HP parts and bits for the Mustang and Ranger 2.3s are just waiting for the Bronco drivers to join the party.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted a manual.

Plenty of comments from Fords test team, like Vaughn , who all were surprised by and maybe even prefer the lighter 2.3.

I'll tell you this, I made my first pass of a car going under 45 in a 55 the other morning.
3rd gear, revs were up a bit, turbo ready to spool .... when I stomped on it, that little fucker damn near put me into the car I was about to pass ... it freaking LAUNCHED!

I was NOT expecting that. I'd swear this thing will beat the Turbo Legacy GT we just sold (WRX motor and trans)
It's wicked strong under boost.
Still under 1k miles, I haven't ragged on it yet, but it's impressive if you let it spin.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Have had the 2.3L Bronco for a couple months. Absolutely love the motor, still zero regrets not getting the V6. The 10AT on the other hand, still getting used to it and def not my favorite.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 2.3 is a solid motor that will suit my needs. If needed, the 2.3 can easily be tuned. But one of the key reasons for me was weight. I'm also a 2-dr buyer so I'm not lugging around the additional chassis weight. The Bronco is a heavy vehicle by design.

Missy_Fussy

Black Diamond
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just curious to see why people got the 2.3 over the 2.7.
I know nothing about the 2.3 or 2.7... my husband did some of the build on my Bronco... now I blame him for my bronco sitting on shit mountain because of the rumors surrounding the 2.7 issue

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I know nothing about the 2.3 or 2.7... my husband did some of the build on my Bronco... now I blame him for my bronco sitting on shit mountain because of the rumors surrounding the 2.7 issue
The 2.7 (other than the valve issue affecting a small number of motors) is the better motor. That said, the 2.3 has a lot of potential, but stock v stock... Most gearheads want the 2.7 (especially if we could get a manual transmission for it).

So don't beat him up, he made a good decision. I don't regret ordering a 2.7 and only wish it could have been the 3.5 Ecoboost. My F-150 made me a real believer in that motor (nearly 250k miles with only a failed water pump, AC compressor, exhaust gasket, and normal maintenance).

Sponsored

Missy_Fussy

Black Diamond
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 2.7 (other than the valve issue affecting a small number of motors) is the better motor. That said, the 2.3 has a lot of potential, but stock v stock... Most gearheads want the 2.7 (especially if we could get a manual transmission for it).

So don't beat him up, he made a good decision. I don't regret ordering a 2.7 and only wish it could have been the 3.5 Ecoboost. My F-150 made me a real believer in that motor (nearly 250k miles with only a failed water pump, AC compressor, exhaust gasket, and normal maintenance).
He has an F150 with an eco-boost (I guess that is the 2.7); I don't drive log distances, I dont off-road, so I thought I would just need a regular motor... but he knows best. I have had 3 convertibles in my life, and I really wanted a BMW or Audi AWD convertible (hubs said "NO WAY"); The bronco was his idea of getting my convertible. I think this is really his Bronco (he had one when he was 17)

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Primarily, needed to save some monies. One of my requirements was also better fuel economy than my current ride, which gets about 15MPG combines but pure highway, even in mountains or averaging 75mph, was about 18MPG.

I also have realized I kinda hate the auto trans in my Xterra - it doesn't shift when I want it to on the highway, especially in the mountains, and passing people gives me a bit of anxiety. I can't use the accelerator the way I should be able to to get it to downshift.

The more I read about modern automatic transmissions, the more I feel like a luddite - I don't know how into having the truck "learn my driving habits" I am. I want it to do a thing when I tell it to.

The first car I bought was a 97 Jetta manual and I 💯 loved driving that thing, so once I realized I could get a MT with 4A, I was full in on the manual.

So it started out wanting the 2.3 for certain reasons, then I got locked into it anyway.

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One of the big reasons I picked the 2.3 over the 2.7 was when I looked under the hood at the abomination Ford engineers created. There is no uglier engine compartments then that of the new Bronco's! But at least you can see a bit of the 2.3 compared to the 2.7. Also as I'm not a big fan of turbo's, I figured dealing with one is better then two. Sure wish Ford had offered a V8!

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m a cheap Son of a Gun