Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I drive extremely slow off road except for the times I am on a dirt track in the Bronco :p
Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I drove 4Runners for 20 years with the clunky 5speed and normally aspirated engine. We are always above 5K feet elevation, and often above 10K for skiing and off roading. The BRONCO is indeed a “rocket” compared to the 4Runner in this environment, and a pleasure to drive: acceleration, power available at high elevation, smooth transmission.
I lived in the mountains and I had a Tacoma with the same engine/tran, it was great in the mountains, but the Bronco is much quicker. The Toyota's can go 85 MPH on hwy and only loses 2 MPG, but the Bronco drops twice as much or more. It also has 300HP compared to 190HP so there's that.

Oh and over 1k lbs more in weight.

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Because over 65 mph the interior noise becomes terrible.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your math is good, but your assumption of the slowest going only 65, yes some do... or your experience where you live is way different from some of our states. Where I live 85% or more are going 75-85 mph in a 65 MPH zone.

A lot of the people going 65 are nervous drivers who think "everyone's else is driving too fast!" I lived with a women who was such a driver and she was so bad at freeway driving, she would leave for work an hour early to go 20 miles on side streets to avoid the freeway.

I live in a 19K population retirement community and some drive too fast for their age and abilities, but others think going too slow is safer, which it's not, it just pisses off everyone else. I'm talking about people who drive 10-15 MPH slower on a posted 25 MPH, that doubles the time to go just 2 miles. 2 miles at 30 mph takes 4 mins, at half speed it takes 8 mins and that's frustrating when it's someone driving slow because they can't see over the steering wheel.
Sure I agree with this. I'm in AZ and people fly, but 85 would put you at the top end even then.

Point being you need to increase your speed by 20mph over 20+ miles to save 5 min wherever that may be on the road. So if traffic is already doing 10 or so over, you're driving like an absolute maniac to save any meaningful time.

In my experience the dangerously fast drivers outnumber the dangerously slow drivers and if everyone is driving "too slow", the problem is you're likely exceeding traffic pace. Such has been my own observation of my occasionally inpatient driving.

Sponsored

MsPickles

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm guessing the same reason why pickup trucks I'm behind have to do 2 mph over smooth railroad tracks with a little hump.

Get out of my way! I'm trying to move the suspension a little.

Ford Bronco Why do Bronco owners drive so slow? 1702927587667

Last edited:

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sure I agree with this. I'm in AZ and people fly, but 85 would put you at the top end even then.

Point being you need to increase your speed by 20mph over 20+ miles to save 5 min wherever that may be on the road. So if traffic is already doing 10 or so over, you're driving like an absolute maniac to save any meaningful time.

In my experience the dangerously fast drivers outnumber the dangerously slow drivers and if everyone is driving "too slow", the problem is you're likely exceeding traffic pace. Such has been my own observation of my occasionally inpatient driving.
I agree on short drives you don't save much time and on short drives I'm going for better fuel economy. On a 12 hour drive, doing 80-85 MPH saves 2 hours, and those couple of hours turns to 4 hours with Sunday traffic coming home from Las Vegas. If there's an accident and there always is add more time.

We left Moab at 2am and made it 800 miles in over 10 hours 45 mins counting gas stops, had we left at 4am or gone only 65 MPH we would have spent 14 plus hours on the road (LV traffic), so we left extra early and I bought an extra tank of fuel to get home 4 hours earlier.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I drive the speed limit for long trips (i.e. Phoenix) otherwise, I drive it like I drove my Mustang "enthusiastically"
Please don't drive the speed limit in Phoenix. At least try to keep up with traffic

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In CT, Broncos are driven pretty fast I've noticed.
Me for example normally on the left passing eveyone.
Too many trucks on the other lanes, following them is asking for rock chips.

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If it has a motor I can hustle it flat out. Golf cart, riding mower, forklift, power wheels barbi jeep, you name it… however the wife is not as impressed with my ability to put a vehicle onto two wheels and not roll it over.

Sponsored

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Please don't drive the speed limit in Phoenix. At least try to keep up with traffic
Yeah, I learned it's the indy 500 on the 10 freeway. The snowbirds piss me off every time I'm there with their overdramatic, over-cautious driving.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We're just enjoying the ride, man. Not to drive from here to there; just to drive.

Broncobama

Base
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Spark
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here in Missouri, 3/4 of the Broncos I see on the road are driving FAST (10-20mph over the limit). I will probably drive in the slow minority (at or slightly over the speed limit) if I ever get one delivered. Driving is the most dangerous thing most of us do. Better late than never. Be safe y'all.

"If only we could learn to live like the wondering river, then perhaps we would not live such hurried lives; always rushing to the end, never knowing where we are."

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I must admit, I drive much slower in the Bronco than in my Benz. At times, I find I'm driving too slow, sometimes under 60mph, without any reason except that I am very relaxed in the Bronco and just enjoy being in it.
The Benz is just so boring now, even whilst going fast, and I've no idea why. Perhaps it's too quiet and way too smooth? Who knows, but yeah, I do drive slower in the Bronco. Not sure why that's a bad thing, though. Why are you in such a rush?

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because I’m in no rush, I plan plenty of time, and safety is always first. I go the speed limit or a few over … unless it’s a 70 mph limit … then I go 5 under.
Sponsored