Sponsored

Why Doesn't Ford use 35" KO2s on Sasquatch instead of Goodyears?

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Opposite thinking for me.… I have the 33” KO2s on stock Badlands wheels and when they wear out I might replace them with the 33” version of the Goodyear Territories because they are lighter and priced much better than most others.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Because KO2 tires = POS

The last thing that Ford needs is something else for new owners to complain about.

I initially did not like the Territory tires, but they are growing on me and they handle rain and snow better than the KO2's I had on my Wrangler ever did.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Likely a gas mileage massage technique. Using the Goodyear's with their wimpy sidewalls on a build supposedly intended to go over anything makes no sense.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I initially did not like the Territory tires, but they are growing on me and they handle rain and snow better than the KO2's I had on my Wrangler ever did.
The KO2 was never targeted to rain and snow. It is a desert tire at home predominantly in the Southwest. Putting them on a Wrangler intended to be used under such conditions was your decision (and mistake). On mostly dry rough rocky terrain the KO2 outperform the Territory. However they are not the best tire for asphalt oriented use. The Wildpeak AT3 offer much better balance for off-road use under such conditions.

SNOWOLF

Badlands
First Name
Brandie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
because the sas tires are cheap and pretty much junk tires.....not to mention they throw rocks everywhere.
Ford saves money putting them on the sas packages.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
KO2s are the best tires EVER!

;) tire threads are so cliche'...
lol they might be worse than oil change interval threads

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I can't say I like the Sas stick tires as they retain and throw rocks. But if they are the lightest tire I'll live with it as the tire/wheel combination is heavy enough as it is. Not only for fuel economy but just getting going from a stop. Lighter weight wheels and tires make a significant difference.
Check out the RTR Evo6 wheels. They weigh 23lbs each. The SAS wheel weighs 32lbs. So you can cut 9lbs a corner OR with those wheels, go with a different tire and be roughly where you are right now for weight.

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Check out the RTR Evo6 wheels. They weigh 23lbs each. The SAS wheel weighs 32lbs. So you can cut 9lbs a corner OR with those wheels, go with a different tire and be roughly where you are right now for weight.
Cool, thanks for the tip. I will check these wheels out. That's a lot of weight savings. I know lighter weight wheels add a lot to the performance most people do not realize. My Miata track car has very light weight BBS forged wheels. Miata wheels are small enough and light enough anyway but the BBS wheels make a substantial difference in performance over the standard Miata wheels- the car is so fast and I get nearly 40 MPG in it.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The KO2 was never targeted to rain and snow. It is a desert tire at home predominantly in the Southwest. Putting them on a Wrangler intended to be used under such conditions was your decision (and mistake). On mostly dry rough rocky terrain the KO2 outperform the Territory. However they are not the best tire for asphalt oriented use. The Wildpeak AT3 offer much better balance for off-road use under such conditions.
Sorry man, but this has to be one of the most uninformed statements I have seen in a while. The BF Goodrich KO2 is one of a small number of tires which has a 3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake (3PMSF) rating which means it was purpose built for severe snow usage--so. yes, it is absolutely targeted to snow. It is also an all-weather, all terrain tire that will undoubtedly be used in the rain and on asphalt.

Whether anyone likes them or not, they are one of the most popular all-terrain tires on the market and to also say they are not for asphalt is silly. Despite our desire otherwise, the vast majority of Bronco, Wrangler, and other "off-road" vehicles typically spend >95% of the time just driving them on asphalt.

Aside from the balancing issues that I encountered, KO2 tires actually perform exceptionally well on asphalt, just not wet or snowy asphalt. They remain the quietest and longest wearing all-terrain tires I have ever owned, but that is where their good attributes end.

A review of I did of them in January 2023:

Vehicle = 2019 JLUR with 3.6L, ZF8, & 5.13 Gearing
Empty Weight = 5700 pounds
Lift = 3.5" MC Game Changer
Shocks = 2.5" Fox DSC
Wheels = Icon Alpha; 17x8.5 with 0 offset/4.75" backspace

Tire = BF Goodrich KO2 A/T
Size = 37x12.50x17
Load Range = C
Inflated diameter (Unloaded) = 35.75" (@31 PSI)
Inflated diameter (Loaded) = 35.375" (@31 PSI)
Tread Depth = 15/32" (0 miles)
Tread Depth = 12/32" (35K miles)
Maintenance = 5 tire rotation and balance every 5K miles (more frequent balancing needed as they wear)

Experience:

On-Road (Good--when new):

- They will not stay balanced as they wear (at least not for long), more and more weight is needed to balance them and they do not stay balanced as long as other tires have. Rebalancing has been needed between rotations (Discount Tire - Road Force)
- They begin to lose their grip in the rain and snow after about 20-25K miles. I had to drive from Denver to Colorado Springs during the last big snowstorm (speed was greatly reduced due to the conditions) and they are all over the place. They have a 3 peak snow rating, but as they wear effectiveness is reduced on the highway and they will slide in the rain much faster than other tires.
- They are quiet; probably the quietest tire I have had except for Michelin LTX AT2's on my trucks.

Off-road (Jack of all trades and master of none--except maybe powdery snow):

- They work reasonably well in the snow, I have gone through really deep powdery snow and they handled it just fine.
- Loose, deep dry sand will typically find you close to stuck more often than not, wet sand is managed reasonably well.
- Thick clay based mud will find you stuck and flexing your winch muscles. The tread design does not clear sticky mud and you will find they become 4 slicks with zero grip in short order.
- Watery mud is cleared reasonably well, but they are no match for a true M/T.
- They handle rocks "ok", but they will slip and drag you out of your line on side angled inclines and declines.

Noise = 10 (even after 35K miles)
Wear = 9 (even with the weight of my JLUR)
Ride = 7 (9 at first; 4 after 35K miles)
Dry = 9 (even after 35K miles)
Wet = 6 (7 new; 4 after 35K miles)
Snow = 6 (8 off-road--even after 35K miles; 4 on-road after 35K miles)
Mud = 4 (2 in clay/heavy mud; 5 in all other mud)
Sand = 6 (4 in deep dry sand; 8 in wet sand)
Trail = 6 (they can slip in rocks on inclines and declines)
Look = 5 (nothing aggressive or sexy here)
Overall = 6.8
Would I buy again? = No (as a jack of all trades and master of none (except noise and perhaps wear) they are too expensive for what you are getting)

Last edited:

STuff1

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco 2 DR Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I bought a new 23 Wildtrak 2 door 40 days ago. I hate the stock Sasquatch tires. The first week they threw so many rocks and mud up my side already has a couple of paint scuffs. By the third week my steering wheel started vibrating at ANY speed. A light vibration that gets annoying. Today the shaking has worsened so it seems these are out of balance. I have not taken it on any trail yet, not hit any potholes or large bumps. We live in a remote area with gravel roads in the woods on 20 acres. Sometimes we get flooding, mud ruts, etc but I am not thrilled with these tires so far. I will have to make an apt with the dealer already (1800 miles) for a balance. Hopefully they can get it to where the wheel doesn't vibrate.

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Given that Ford uses a variety of OEM tire brands on Bronco based on trim and suspension package, I doubt absolute lowest cost was the driving factor. It would certainly be cheaper to offer one tire manufacturer all the OEM volume regardless of size or suitability for a particular task. Rather I believe they selected the best compromise for each model based on the general usage patterns these vehicles are likely to see. Most Sasqustch equipped Bronco's (like mine) are still primarily used on road for commuting. Fitting a mass-market behicle with a highly specialized tire like an agressive Mud-Terrain would likely result in a high percentage of owners complaining, in forums like these, about noise, ride harshness, economy or fast wear. Conversely, they know the Bronco owner who will be using their vehicle off-road and in specific environments (desert, woods, mud, sand) will likely and happily fit a specialized tire and other components to fit their usage patterns. The Sas Goodyear Territory is a compromise; C load range so a bit lighter and less rolling resistance, somewhat aggressive tread pattern but certainly not a full-blown Mut-Terrain despite the MT brand, cost and certainly a brand name that inspires some degree of confidence from a typical buyer. When my Territory's wear out, I'll likely look at Toyo or Yokohama and perhaps BFG for a slightly more aggressive AT type tire but in the meanwhile am reasonably satisfied with the Goodyears given my usage.
Sponsored