First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Most people want some "options" and the Base is not good enough. From the price, feature and comfortable standpoint for me the Base Sasquatch is perfect. Has everything we need. The Sasquatch option being available on the Base is huge. And the price- at least what I got it for sticker is awesome for what you get. I did not need any other options and I also could not afford them either. It was a stretch getting the Base Sasquatch- by far the most expensive vehicle I ever purchased.
Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I joined several message boards since i bought my badlands in January. For me this was a walk-in purchase so i didn't know much about the different trims, or the ordering process. Nowadays, on several bronco online forums, i notice that most new bronco purchases are outer banks. Just wondering what makes this trim so popular?

Edit:
Thanks to everyone who responded. Its pretty clear the outer banks is the first trim where you can get better interior options, plus painted handles, mirrors, etc ... I guess realistically, it has the most common appeal.

For me, i needed ruggedness and durability on my interiors due to kids and dog. The badlands with mgv, rubber floors seemed to fit the bill. Mine has no options (or as i call them, things my kids will damage) and suits me perfectly. (Plus it's manual, so it cuts down on people wanting to drive it! Lol!). I honestly would've gotten like a RAV4 or Honda pilot if the ford dealer only had a bronco in stock with a "nice" interior. I'm happy with how things turned out.

The off road capabilities have been a bonus and helped me discover a new hobby i had never considered. Thanks again everyone! Happy trails!
When ordering in early 2021, without having seen the vehicle, the OBX was the most versatile in its gearing specs, while also being a well optioned daily driver. I didnt want the 4.7 low gearing of SAS due to MPG issues. I wanted 3.73 or 4.27 axles, and a comfortable car with electric seats. I ended up with 4.27 axles and the auto transfer case, rear lockers, and a 12" screen . . . And get 22mpg on highway trips with OEM 32" tires. Upgrading to 33" tires, I get 19-20 mpg highway, a comfortable daily driver, and an excellent east coast ORV beach driver. If I ever do a serious trip to the rocks of Moab, I can upgrade to adjustable coilovers and 35" tires, and when done, put the 33's right back on, and crank down the coilovers. 30,000 miles since October 2021. Flawless.

20230309_162409.jpg

SlpybearTX

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Race Red Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
They're good at that.
On the Explorer, the standard trim progression is XL - XLT - Limited - Platinum/King Ranch.
On F150 it goes XL - XLT - King Ranch - Platinum - Limited.

And damn, to go from Platinum to Limited on F150 is an extra $20,500 on the MSRP. For a trim that didn't offer standard BLIS on Explorer just five years ago.
You are missing the sweet spot in the F150 lineup IMHO... the Lariat. Stil have my 2017 Lariat to go with my '23 Wildtrak. I think its the perfrect trim to combine comfort and features without the huge price of the KR and up. Those "neat" leather designs certainly aren't worth the KR prices. And I can see all the Cattle I want when I drive up to the farm here in NTX. The Platinum and Limited just seem crazy to me.

Dino

Outer Banks
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not sure if your "data" is very accurate. But in our group buy down here in TX it is one of the least popular for MY23 (as well as 22 and 21). Sample size is about 100. Heck, we got more BRaptors than OBX's.

Ford Bronco Why is Outer Banks so popular? 20230309_162409

I ordered a Loaded OBX-Squatch for my wife as she didn't need the disco or washout interior of the BL or the Hoss3.0 of the WT. Plus she likes the roast leather option. I am sure many other OBX buyers bought for the same reason.

I'm part of that 7.1%!! I feel so special!! Side note I love mine

Sponsored

Ohnoohnoooo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW z3, Nisan rogue, joint-custody of Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

IMO OBX sasquatch is (was) king.

Although with todays colors itā€™s hard to say. With a partial exception to Eruption green (in OBX sas roast) there arenā€™t too many timeless combos left. To me an AMB or Rapid Red OBX sas on roast was like an untouchable combo that no other trim, including the Wildtrak, could compete with.

for my 2021 grail build no expense spared, it was a no brainer to go OBX sas over Wildtrak to get antimatter blue over roast leather. Color matched mirrors and handles. Silver insert dash. Itā€™s just a timeless bronco for a first model year and what turned out to be a one and done paint color.

In 2021 the Wildtrak, before HOSS 3.0, didnā€™t really offer much to me. A worse interior, gimmicky tire tread grille, mismatched black mirrors etc. Now the WT doesnā€™t even have painted handles. Iā€™ll be damned if I were to get antimatter blue with plastic handles and mirrors. I actually paid slightly more for the OBX sas over an identically equipped WT, at least for 2021 before WTs got more expensive with HOSS upgrades. With WTs increasing more in price and suspension upgrades it sounds crazy today to say that my 2021 loaded OBX sas stickered more than an identically equipped WT, but it was. Well not by much, but it was.

No regrets. Midnight blue over saddle for the win.

AC0903BA-EED8-473A-AA15-8DAF885387A6.jpeg

3EB229DE-DC35-4885-966E-832A716B401F.jpeg
AMB OBX. My original build. Back when gloss black top was a thing. Now have the EG + roast OBX and itā€™s beautiful. Love the darker colors with the painted flares.

Last edited:

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just found Sas OBX high package had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. I didn't need the disconnecting swaybar since it will never go over obstacles that require me to disconnect. I also didn't need the washout floor... the rubber mats provide me plenty of protection for the carpet. I also liked the OBX interior more than the other packages. I didn't want the MGV.

Now I Go Bronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My original build. Back when bliss black top was a thing. Now have the EG + roast OBX and itā€™s beautiful. Love the darker colors with the painted flares.

The EG with the roast leather. šŸ¤¤

I missed out on the EG, sadly.

Sponsored

Gray_Ghost

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Super Duty, 2018 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I donā€™t think itā€™s gonna be just a bunch of used OBXā€˜s on the lots soon. When all these soccer moms and soft office hands dads who bought a Bronco b/c it was new and cool realize that this is a truck and they figure out what a Wildtrack 35ā€ SAS tire weighs as they wait for AAA to come change it for them, theyā€™ll rush back to their Volvos and Land Rovers in a hot sec. At least the Rover has a refrigerator in the center console that they didnā€™t know they couldnā€™t live without. šŸ¤£

Nevertheless, those people are needed. As Iā€™ve surmised before, Ford wouldnā€™t be making a Bronco if it was just for ā€œoff-road enthusiastsā€œ since there arenā€™t enough of them to make it profitable. And the best part is that, in a few years, thereā€™s gonna be some sweet deals on some cherry rides for the off-roaders to scoop up.
I agree with ya 100%. The vast majority of bronco owners will use em as DD's so non SAS is more ideal for them. Bronco as a DD with the IFS makes more sense than having a jeep as a DD with the SFA. I laugh inside when jeep owners complain about how it rides like a tank...I mean no shit... wonder why šŸ¤£

OuterBankSquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Green + Roast seems like a great combo, congrats!

I was originally blue/grey leather with Anti-Matter Blue exterior. Lost my preferred exterior color and now Iconic Silver but think that will still go well with the blue/grey leather.

Eddie G-man

Outer Banks
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/1988 911 cabriolet
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

TKE_273

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Audi Allroad, Lowered on KW Coilovers
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When the zombie apocalypse happens, I want the most luxurious end of the world rig possible. OBX Squatch w/ Lux = beautiful Roast leather, heated seats/wheel, adaptive cruise, B&O audio, all while also having front and rear lockers, 35s, etc. to make it incredibly capable plowing through zombies.

Ford Bronco Why is Outer Banks so popular? PXL_20230312_152942997
Sponsored