Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m curious, what features (that are unavailable on a OBX) do you believe would make the Wildrak more appealing to some?
Some may be sold on the Baja mode. Some may want the sway bar disconnect. Some may want HOSS 3.0...
Sponsored

Diydner

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Some may be sold on the Baja mode. Some may want the sway bar disconnect. Some may want HOSS 3.0...
The sway bar disconnect is not an option on the wildtrak, just an FYI. My argument was wildtraks without the HOSS 3.0 (2021-2022). I’m just surprised that someone would pay a few thousand dollars more for a mode that can be set manually on an OBX.

I’m only stating these things becuase for some reason, trade In value and private party values have been a few thousand dollars more for a wildtrak, than an OBX w/ Sas and lux. Just not understanding why if they are exactly the same. Other than the wildtraks having plastic handles and mirror caps.

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like that it has painted mirrors and door handles. The Sasquatch on it though doesn’t have painted flares. The roast seats are beautiful too..I love my obx …

BE02D4E5-9A2C-4E08-BD1C-E5BFF7B02923.jpeg
B7E1450B-854B-4E66-B79A-E6520A743857.jpeg
That roast interior looks fantastic!

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I joined several message boards since i bought my badlands in January. For me this was a walk-in purchase so i didn't know much about the different trims, or the ordering process. Nowadays, on several bronco online forums, i notice that most new bronco purchases are outer banks. Just wondering what makes this trim so popular?

Edit:
Thanks to everyone who responded. Its pretty clear the outer banks is the first trim where you can get better interior options, plus painted handles, mirrors, etc ... I guess realistically, it has the most common appeal.

For me, i needed ruggedness and durability on my interiors due to kids and dog. The badlands with mgv, rubber floors seemed to fit the bill. Mine has no options (or as i call them, things my kids will damage) and suits me perfectly. (Plus it's manual, so it cuts down on people wanting to drive it! Lol!). I honestly would've gotten like a RAV4 or Honda pilot if the ford dealer only had a bronco in stock with a "nice" interior. I'm happy with how things turned out.

The off road capabilities have been a bonus and helped me discover a new hobby i had never considered. Thanks again everyone! Happy trails!
It's what was for sale and I wasn't willing to wait a long time lol. But I feel like it's a nice middle ground for everything, plus it looks more refined with the colored door handles and mirror caps. I personally love the high package on mine, which is something I didnt think I wanted/needed, but really like having now

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The sway bar disconnect is not an option on the wildtrak, just an FYI. My argument was wildtraks without the HOSS 3.0 (2021-2022). I’m just surprised that someone would pay a few thousand dollars more for a mode that can be set manually on an OBX.

I’m only stating these things becuase for some reason, trade In value and private party values have been a few thousand dollars more for a wildtrak, than an OBX w/ Sas and lux. Just not understanding why if they are exactly the same. Other than the wildtraks having plastic handles and mirror caps.
I think it's also public perception that the Wildtrack is a "higher" trim. Perception sells. For many cars, you get more options as you go up in trim. For the Bronco it's not quite linear and you can build up most "lower" trims to match "higher" ones so you can get the style you want with the capability you want.

Sponsored

TKE_273

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Audi Allroad, Lowered on KW Coilovers
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You are missing the sweet spot in the F150 lineup IMHO... the Lariat. Stil have my 2017 Lariat to go with my '23 Wildtrak. I think its the perfrect trim to combine comfort and features without the huge price of the KR and up. Those "neat" leather designs certainly aren't worth the KR prices. And I can see all the Cattle I want when I drive up to the farm here in NTX. The Platinum and Limited just seem crazy to me.
I was always an XLT guy, just adding a few upgrades to that trim like the tow package & electric seats. But my daughter just bought a new Lariat for all the reasons you write above!

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was always an XLT guy, just adding a few upgrades to that trim like the tow package & electric seats. But my daughter just bought a new Lariat for all the reasons you write above!
STX is the sweet spot. You get rear A/C vents, and don't have to deal with stupid power seats that cost 900 bucks to fix.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
IF I were to get another Bronco it would for sure be an Outer Banks. I would like the High package and the larger screen.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Love my 2004 XLT, wish I could get a Bronco likely equipped, with a manual transfer case, and very few gadgets. My Base Bronco seems like a Lux edition, compared to that.

Sponsored

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Painted mirrors, top and flares are probably a nogo for people who do decent amount of off-roading. The first time you drive through brush or low forest in the SW desert you will end up with scratched mirrors, flares and top. The body panels only experience the slight backslap from branches that have already been pushed aside by the nose of the vehicle and/or the mirrors and still get slightly scratched.

The tires on the non sas OBX are complete crap for off-roading and are likely to tear open the first time you do 40 mph on a gravel road (when I bought my Wrangler Sport S years ago it came with these tires and I opened a gash in them within 3 months). You also have to add bash plates to non sas OBX. Can't remember if OBX comes standard with a locking diff.

The OBX is the Sahara of the Wrangler world, often purchased by people who want "the look" but are either going to be using it mostly on asphalt or extremely light off-roading that you can do in a RAV4.

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The majority of all the dealer stock in my area is OBXs. Like at least 75%.

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My opinion, since I have one, the OBXSAS comes with everything you could want. The only thing you didn’t come with was the disconnecting swaybar, which I know I will never use here in New Jersey. I was not interested in the marine grade vinyl or the washout floor.

I should add at this is my daily driver, so I wanted it to look good too. If I was only buying it as an off-road vehicle, than I may have reconsidered and bought the badlands.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, great beaches, warm water, good food …. Crowds are getting bigger though ….. Wait wrong Outer Banks.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Painted mirrors, top and flares are probably a nogo for people who do decent amount of off-roading. The first time you drive through brush or low forest in the SW desert you will end up with scratched mirrors, flares and top. The body panels only experience the slight backslap from branches that have already been pushed aside by the nose of the vehicle and/or the mirrors and still get slightly scratched.
I had thought that initially too, but they hold up far better than I expected. After 18 months, including being off-road, it's held up remarkably well and the finish on the mirrors and flares were less affected by pin-striping than the doors.

The tires on the non sas OBX are complete crap for off-roading and are likely to tear open the first time you do 40 mph on a gravel road (when I bought my Wrangler Sport S years ago it came with these tires and I opened a gash in them within 3 months). You also have to add bash plates to non sas OBX. Can't remember if OBX comes standard with a locking diff.
Once again, not quite true, as I was off-roading my girlfriends OBX last weekend on the stock wheels and tires at Hidden Falls Adventure Park, without any incident and even did better than you would think in mud. Are they as strong as proper E load M/T's like I usually run off-road on my Bronco... No. However, they didn't fall apart either... I have sliced through one of the stock non-Sasquatch OBX tire sidewalls while coming off my car lift (and forgetting to move the arm out of the way), and it's not particularly robust but you can go harder than 40 mph on a gravel road with them.

Many non-sasquatch OBX's come with the open differential, some non-sasquatch OBX's come with the locking differential, and finally some non-sasquatch OBX's come with the locking differential and the advanced 4x4 transfer cases. All depends on who ordered it and the options they requested. Both of my OBX's have the locking rear differential with with advanced 4x4 transfer case.

The OBX is the Sahara of the Wrangler world, often purchased by people who want "the look" but are either going to be using it mostly on asphalt or extremely light off-roading that you can do in a RAV4.
Yes, for some people, it is... Honestly, it does look the part of Mall Crawler spec. My neighbors friend with a Jeep Cherokee thought the same, until I took her for a quick spin in the Bronco at a nearby trail with some challenging terrain.

Some of us with non-sasquatch OBX's know exactly what we ordered and why. I have every intention of taking my OBX (and my girlfriend's OBX - which was originally a WildTrak order) off-road. Even stock, it is far more capable than you appear to give it credit for and with a few subtle changes will keep up with any of the other non-raptor Broncos under most conditions (save those that absolutely require a front locker, which the non-sasquatch OBX does not have). With just 3 simple mods (coil/shock swap $1300, disconnected sway bar $0, and replaced steering rack $1200), my OBX Bronco has more flex and stronger steering components than a Badlands with the Sasquatch package.

Ya, it's a mall crawler... LOL. Bring on the RAV4 and I will serve up some humble pie.
Sponsored