Sponsored

Why would a dealer not submit you for price protection?

bek

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I mentioned this in another post, but can't wrap my mind around it.

After the latest price increase on 9/10 (~$2000), I asked my dealer why my price went up. He said that Ford probably increased the price. I looked at my current price protection of $3080, and obviously that hasn't covered all the increases we've gotten since when I actually reserved almost two years ago. I called Ford customer relations, and they didn't even know there was a price increase. I then posted a question on here, and someone helpful said it would have to be applied by the dealer.

Then I called my dealer back and asked about it. He said (quote from his e-mail):

" We can submit your name for the PP of course, and if Ford approves the PP, then we apply it. It's not something that automatically happens to your pricing based on a tick-mark we include in the deal."

Wouldn't you want all your customers to get the best price from Ford that they can? Why wouldn't it be a "tick-mark" that they just include in the deal? I understand it's probably a little more work, but you're saving EACH of your customers thousands of dollars. Surely some or all customers would be appreciative. He didn't even mention price protection initially when the price increase showed up on my latest build sheet.

I finally responded with this:

"Yes, please submit my name for all PP available. It'll have been two years when I get it and I see prices going up regularly, so of course I don't want to pay more."

I want to like my dealer, but am having a tough time understanding behavior like this.
Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look in the 2023 Price Protection thread. It's stickied at the top of the section. Your certificate is the Private Offer and covers from order to Sept 2022. Then there is Retail Price Protection which covers from your '23 order to today and includes the Feb 10 price increase. 2 door is $2000, 4 door is $1500, select models different such as Heritage and Everglades. All spelled out in the detailed PP thread.

As to why he would not submit, so he can pocket the extra moneys himself.

OP
OP
bek

bek

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Look in the 2023 Price Protection thread. It's stickied at the top of the section. Your certificate is the Private Offer and covers from order to Sept 2022. Then there is Retail Price Protection which covers from your '23 order to today and includes the Feb 10 price increase. 2 door is $2000, 4 door is $1500, select models different such as Heritage and Everglades. All spelled out in the detailed PP thread.

Thanks, Bighuff. That's the second time you've been kind enough to grace me with some wisdom. I really do appreciate it.

I knew it could affect his commission a bit, but this dealership advertised widely "$1250 under invoice!" I guess I thought they were going all out to really do the customer a solid good turn. I mean, happy customers mean return customers, I thought. This dealership was going to get a 5-star rating from me at the beginning, but over the course of the last year twos with the argumentative stance they've taken and responses to situations like this, they'll be lucky to get a 3-star rating from me on review sites. And I'm an IT guy, I live and die by online reviews, so I always make sure to rate honestly. I was amazed when he brushed off the price increase without telling me he could even apply for my price protection. I had to find that out later from this forum, but I guess I should be glad he at least 'fessed up to being able to do it. I guess I thought his tiny piece of that $2000 profit wouldn't be worth hiding it under the rug in order to save his customer a whopping $2k. I was clearly wrong!

I know if I ran a dealership, I'd be putting these price protections in for everyone, without fail. Maybe I'd let them know just so they understand I did them a good turn, but they'd all be put in, even if it's a little work and cuts my commission a little. I always went out of my way for my customers during the course of my career.

Oh, well... thank you yet again and I'm off to read that price protection post. Appreciate you, buddy!

Last edited:

tater_70

Wildtrak
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Fairlane, 1973 Bronco, 75 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
$5080 is worth rolling the dice. Been looking at dealer stock but hard to walk away from that kind of savings. Probably wait until mid summer. If I don't get scheduled I'll look for dealer stock. I figure I'll lose the PP but avoid another increase in MY24.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

It's not all dealer greed, some is dealer incompetence or ignorance. Do your homework, read the PP thread. it's all there, don't wait until the day it shows up. Knowledge is power, apply it well grasshopper.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After the latest price increase on 9/10 (~$2000), I asked my dealer why my price went up. He said that Ford probably increased the price. I looked at my current price protection of $3080, and obviously that hasn't covered all the increases we've gotten since when I actually reserved almost two years ago.
There seems to be some misunderstandings. To be clear, the price protection won't be reflected on any pricing shown on your account, DORA or window sticker. I get the impression that you think the price protection automatically applies the discount to your account and you should see it reflected on your pricing. When instead, it is applied in the form of a rebate when you close the sale.

Also, your dealer doesn't have to submit your name and info for you to get price protection. If you have a qualifying order then your pp should show in the system. At close of sale, they just need to look it up in Smart Vincet and apply it. Of course and as stated above, get your ducks in a row before sale day. Call Ford marketing and confirm your certificate and amount.

@RagnarKon feel free to correct my above statements if need be and can clarify that MY23 price protection is in the buyers name and the dealer is unable to pocket that money. Edit. True for the model year transition offer but not the new retail price protection offer.

Edit. The MY23 retail price protection, enacted after the Feb price increase, is processed via check to the dealer(not the buyer) and can be passed on to the buyer either at the time of sale or after.

Last edited:

tater_70

Wildtrak
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Fairlane, 1973 Bronco, 75 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks, Bighuff. That's the second time you've been kind enough to grace me with some wisdom. I really do appreciate it.

I knew it could affect his commission a bit, but this dealership advertised widely "$1250 under invoice!" I guess I thought they were going all out to really do the customer a solid good turn. I mean, happy customers mean return customers, I thought. This dealership was going to get a 5-star rating from me at the beginning, but over the course of the last year twos with the argumentative stance they've taken and responses to situations like this, they'll be lucky to get a 3-star rating from me on review sites. And I'm an IT guy, I live and die by online reviews, so I always make sure to rate honestly. I was amazed when he brushed off the price increase without telling me he could even apply for my price protection. I had to find that out later from this forum, but I guess I should be glad he at least 'fessed up to being able to do it. I guess I thought his tiny piece of that $2000 profit wouldn't be worth hiding it under the rug in order to save his customer a whopping $2k. I was clearly wrong!

I know if I ran a dealership, I'd be putting these price protections in for everyone, without fail. Maybe I'd let them know just so they understand I did them a good turn, but they'd all be put in, even if it's a little work and cuts my commission a little. I always went out of my way for my customers during the course of my career.

Oh, well... thank you yet again and I'm off to read that price protection post. Appreciate you, buddy!
Just remember....they're not doing you a favor, your entitled to the PP. It's not coming out of their pockets (they would like it to go in their pockets) but through FoMoCo.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There seems to be some misunderstandings. To be clear, the price protection won't be reflected on any pricing shown on your account, DORA or window sticker. I get the impression that you think the price protection automatically applies the discount to your account and you should see it reflected on your pricing. When instead, it is applied in the form of a rebate when you close the sale.

Also, your dealer doesn't have to submit your name and info for you to get price protection. If you have a qualifying order then your pp should show in the system. At close of sale, they just need to look it up in Smart Vincet and apply it. Of course and as stated above, get your ducks in a row before sale day. Call Ford marketing and confirm your certificate and amount.

@RagnarKon feel free to correct my above statements if need be and can clarify that MY23 price protection is in the buyers name and the dealer is unable to pocket that money.
You are confused on the issue. The Smart Vincent Certificate is the Private Offer. Totally separate from the Retail Price Protection which anyone built after 2/10 will have to deal with. There is no certificate for that. The dealer gets credit back to the original invoice pricing provided certain conditions are met. Some give the money up front, some as a check 60-90 days after delivery. But yes, the dealer can pocket that money. The credit is to them and not in your name. Again, totally separate from your Private Offer.

OP
OP
bek

bek

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's not all dealer greed, some is dealer incompetence or ignorance. Do your homework, read the PP thread. it's all there, don't wait until the day it shows up. Knowledge is power, apply it well grasshopper.
Yeah, that's why I'm here now and not the day I take possession. lol
Sponsored

Last edited: