Sponsored

Will MGV interior withstand pouring rain and wet outsides overnight?

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
MGV seats with carpet on the back of the back seats. Just saying...
I was thinking the same thing, but I'm betting you can swap out that carpet for a rubberized or otherwise waterproof material somewhat reasonably. (some disassembly required) ;)

Will2497

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I imagine the quality will be similar to that of boat seats (since its Marine Grade ;) ). The only problems I've had with boat seats constantly getting wet from rain or morning dew is just making sure to wipe them down often. Moisture left on it can still have mold grow on it, but nothing a Clorox wipe can't fix

Sponsored

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I doubt whether the entire interior is made to be able to sit overnight in the rain and be 100% fine. Seems to me there would be electrical problems after that, but if someone can show me where Ford said that sort of exposure is fine with no issues, I'll stand corrected. I'd be very surprised if that's the case, it would mean the entire interior is built to resist water similar to a boat interior.

splathead

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Acord
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would worry about things like power window switches, those with electric seat adjustments, etc.

OP
OP
gwp

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll take your word on it lol, I'm not going to leave a $60k vehicle topless overnight in the rain
Luckily mine is only 50k. :). Interesting though that Harley can manage it with a $43k bike, with heated leather seat and big screen electronics of similar complexity. I guess nobody knows yet what Ford really did to waterproof and test overall.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would caution those that may think MGV is bulletproof (not literally). Think about vinyl in boats and how it may be stored. The interior of an uncovered boat in the elements(rain, snow sun, wind) will deteriorate quicker over time in the long run.

I've seen some of the best material in boats degrade from heavy use with poor storage and care. I understand many will attest that they've personally experienced this never occurs. I have seen it (I know.... pics or it didn't happen). Seams and stitching in particular can be vulnerable with the stitches fraying and sort of disappearing over time. Dealt with this first hand.

C is the correct choice here(y) Protect it when you can. Otherwise, have fun with the top off!!

Sponsored

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

just drive it thru an automatic car wash topless and find out silly!
realistically, I'm sure leaving it topless during a downpour overnight is gonna ruin the stereo/nav screen. Only some of the buttons and stuff are sealed with that rubber covering. Its a wash out easy to clean interior not a makeshift swimming pool.

Adumb

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Area 51 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unlike the wrangler. This car was designed from the ground up to not just be topless. But a very tech rich car.

marine grade vinyl is designed forboats that Sit exposed to weather all the time. The cushioning underneath will likely never see water

as for the rest of the car , I can only assume ford has had these things sit in simulated downpours with the roof off. If not they are messing up.
except for the rear seatback...

OP
OP
gwp

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

just drive it thru an automatic car wash topless and find out silly!
realistically, I'm sure leaving it topless during a downpour overnight is gonna ruin the stereo/nav screen. Only some of the buttons and stuff are sealed with that rubber covering. Its a wash out easy to clean interior not a makeshift swimming pool.
Curious, though, why should it when the 8” touch screen Nav/audio on my Harley can live outside? Actually I agree with your concern, but the face that Ford can’tor won’t do what Harley does is disappointing. Harley is not know for quality, but they do swim ok.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve ordered a Badlands, 2d, 7m, high. I plan to drive it in the rain with the top off. Not that rain is desirable, but I’d like to travel without the top. And motorcycling has shown me that I don’t melt.

Does this group think that my MGV interior will withstand pouring rain and wet outsides overnight? I understand that at least some switches will have gaskets to help with moisture but it’s a tall ask and Ford does not have a ton of build experience in this area.

I currently have a high-end Harley that lives pretty well in the rain when needed. It does have a big touch screen with all sorts of switches, dash gauges, speakers, heated seat/bars, amplifiers, etc all out in the wet and fully exposed. I’m jut not sure Ford has designed for the same level of exposure.

So, what d’ya think? A) I am nuts for wanting to drown my Bronco and need to check my ambitions. B) I should go for it, and hope the warranty will cover a shorted out dash. Or C) I should hedge my bets with a Bimini and find cover in a deluge.
Not quite sure that the Bronco is built to the weathering spec of a motorcycle, so I wouldn't just let the entire interior get rained on in anything other than a small shower.

I'm getting a 2dr Badlands as well with MGV and think of the interior more as water resistant, not waterproof. Like, its not GORETEX covered even though that would be cool as all get out.

You'll want to still check the weather and try not to get into a downpour. Now, if Ford comes out and says the Bronco dash and all can take a downpour due to being fully sealed, I'll be a happy man, so this is a good piece of info to figure out. Interior is dust proof, so maybe it is sealed.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I would worry about things like power window switches, those with electric seat adjustments, etc.

Ford has definitely said that the window, mirror, and hero switches are waterproof. The MGV seats are manual, so that isn't an issue for those controls.
Can't remember what/if they've said anything about the dash, but those look like standard Ford HVAC control modules... They might just be counting on the dash "lip" over hanging it to protect that stuff.

I would caution those that may think MGV is bulletproof (not literally). Think about vinyl in boats and how it may be stored. The interior of an uncovered boat in the elements(rain, snow sun, wind) will deteriorate quicker over time in the long run.

I've seen some of the best material in boats degrade from heavy use with poor storage and care. I understand many will attest that they've personally experienced this never occurs. I have seen it (I know.... pics or it didn't happen). Seams and stitching in particular can be vulnerable with the stitches fraying and sort of disappearing over time. Dealt with this first hand.

C is the correct choice here(y) Protect it when you can. Otherwise, have fun with the top off!!
The sun will be harder on the MGV than water. The UV is what breaks down the stitching and such.
Sponsored