Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wonder if I can ‘opt out’ of the 4G connectivity on a new vehicle. If not, I’m breaking out the flux pen and soldering iron and removing a WiFi board 🤓
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it is "your" car, then your data is private to you since it's pat of your property
What if the bank owns half of it still, do they have access? It is wrecked, the insurance company owns it now, is the data stored theirs now? You turn on the radio the first time and hit okay to a privacy policy pop up notice giving your data to Ford (or buried in the sales contract), or you pair your phone and give it permission to interact, or whatever. The data is not yours any more then the cell phone data is. If a warrant is served to access your phone data, they don't serve it to you, they serve the cell phone company or carrier. If you are counting on data generated by you too bring to you exclusively, I suspect your are going to be disappointed.

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I really don't think that all the black box talk is for government spy programs or for insurance to screw me over somehow. it's all so that companies can find yet another thing to try to sell me. *sigh*

Governments, Corporations and People are going to use tracking/surveilence to keep doing what they do more efficiently. It's all about who is collecting the data and how they can use it to help their own agenda.

Using it to sell you more is for those corporations that sell.

But the insurance companies aren't selling, they are gambling on whether you will earn them money or cost them money and you can be assured that they will use collected driving data to save millions of dollars on accident claims.

The government? They control things, that's what they will use the data for and why they will gladly help more tracking/surveillance get put in use.

We are slowly being conditioned to accept more tracking and surveillance. It will only ramp up to higher levels in the coming years.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At least some information has been available since the inception of OBD II. The reason the police needed a warrant (in my non-lawyer terms)- it's nor publicly available information. This data has and can be used in legal proceedings and the depth of data and ability to "normalize" it becomes better all the time. They can typically see speed, ABS application, sensor triggers (airbags, active safety features, impact sensor). GPS has added direction of travel and mare nuanced details as well. Nothing has been announced yet that would suggest the Bronco has any more or less of this capability than other vehicles with the same options. I have mentioned it before, but the auto manufacturers have been very conservative and biased towards customer privacy compared to many other industries related to data sharing. My last company was very involved in telematics. The OEMs, for the most part, put the privacy concerns above all other considerations. That being said the data is there and can be brought in to determining liability and probably influencing damage awards if it can be proven someone was acting with intent or well outside what would be considered "reasonable".

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They send police to classes on what 411 they can get out of a vehicle during an investigation from the electronics. Takes a search warrant on private vehicle.
what is this ”search warrant” you speak of? What is this, “Back to the Future?”

Sponsored

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
🤦‍♂️

being that statement was made, there's nothing I can say on this forum that will change your mind.

According to the laws created... law and order, right?
Gavin Newsome has entered the chat....

Laws need to be followed.....right? Apparently not....

Pro tip ....”there are rules for me....and rules for thee”

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
just don't do shady shit. ;)
You are exactly right. Like don't voluntarily drive down a street with excessive speed so that you lose control and potentially cause a critical if not fatal collision with an innocent motorist driving the other direction which is what Tiger could have done. He did not have an "accident" if he was speeding, he had a perfectly preventable roll over. One in which he may have ended his career and destroyed someone elses vehicle. If the black box can provide compelling evidence against drivers who gamble with others' lives I am all for it.

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You are exactly right. Like don't voluntarily drive down a street with excessive speed so that you lose control and potentially cause a critical if not fatal collision with an innocent motorist driving the other direction which is what Tiger could have done. He did not have an "accident" if he was speeding, he had a perfectly preventable roll over. One in which he may have ended his career and destroyed someone elses vehicle. If the black box can provide compelling evidence against drivers who gamble with others' lives I am all for it.
Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
....and where does it end? There are “no bail” laws in many cities where you are not held, but simply released after a crime.

For others, if you fail to make a complete stop at a red light and make a right turn on red, you have your picture taken, you receive a ticket in the mail.

You need to read 1984, and then think about how you may soon be fined for driving a Bronco that burns fossil fuels and not a Prius....or even being caught “smiling“ while driving your climate killing vehicle.
That‘s a thought crime....

Sponsored

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Gavin Newsome has entered the chat....

Laws need to be followed.....right? Apparently not....

Pro tip ....”there are rules for me....and rules for thee”
so since, according to your pro tip, someone else doesn't follow the rules. So you don't have to?

pro tip... "2 wrongs don't make a right"

Anyway, this will go no where, as most internet 'debates' do. So that's the last thing I say about it. Good luck with your new bronco!

Mustang GTA

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Classic cars have their advantages!
No black boxes to rat you out
No electronic ignition so it is able to survive an electromagnetic pulse bomb attack
Cheap replace parts
Simple tool kit gets the job done
You get all the attention you need - and more!
They go up in value!

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you don't want to be tracked, walk or ride a bike, but don't take a phone or any GPS device, or use credit cards or get them near NFC devices or look at any cameras (yes, they can even do facial rec with masks in some cases now). Or get and keep a really old car/truck (but still carry none of the above and avoid those traffic cams...your car is very computerized and knows "all. Hell - Tesla and BMW and probably others are looking to charge you subscriptions to keep features of your car running (and I'm not talking about Sirius XM).

We are pretty much at Minority Report level of recognition. Facebook and Google track and monetize your every move, even outside their apps (particularly FB). Sometimes you'll like it cause there will be relevant stuff for your Bronco interests, but then you realize what's happening.

FInally, don't put an Amazon Alexa device or Google Home device in your house if you are really not ready for the potential consequence of having someone recording either your conversations or requests. Alexa skills are largely un-monitored for privacy violations.

I'm a tech guy and have been in this business 35+ years. I love my gadgets, and accept some of the privacy costs that go along with it, but some are just a bridge too far. (Yes - I love EZ Pass and hate sitting in traffic lines and I have never been sent a ticket to say I could not have gone between entrance and exit without being over the speed limit - they'd lose all the savings they get from automating the first time they started handing out tickets, but I do know it is tracking me, just like my phone.)

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

tin foil hat is real, agree or disagree about how much of it you want. tech has been around for a while.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What always bugged me about the little black boxes that companies like state farm offered was that they weren't really smart enough to differentiate good habits from bad ones.

Example: let's say I'm driving along and someone cuts me off abruptly, and i have to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident. those high G forces get recorded, and are treated the same as the high G forces that come with doing burnouts off the line and hard cornering.
That, and good driving is definitely subjective. if the box sees that I'm driving 63 mph on the freeway, it might deem that I'm a good safe driver. but if I'm driving 63 mph in the fast lane on the interstate, forcing people to pass me on the right, i am 100000% a road hazard and not driving in a safe manner.

Someone else already hit the nail on the head in this thread tho, I really don't think that all the black box talk is for government spy programs or for insurance to screw me over somehow. it's all so that companies can find yet another thing to try to sell me. *sigh*
Ha, use Am Fam. I thought some of those were bad, American families app is the single worst thing I have ever seen in my life. I am not exaggerating when I say it will record 30-40-50-60-70 mistakes on a SINGLE DRIVE of 15-20 miles. Speeding up too fast, slowing down too quickly, speeding, anything. They will actually ding you for driving the speed limit in a residential area or through a town, multiple times. Their reasoning? Too much driving in slow areas. Wtf? It wasn’t just me either, every review says the same thing. You can slow down from 10 mph, too fast. I have never seen anything so bad in my life lol.
Sponsored