First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My dealer said $80 per year for connected.
When doing my "orientation" I asked why connected?
The person said that built in navigation is soon going away. You have to buy a thumbdrive and plug that in to down load maps when ever there is an update that you want. Updates are done a couple times a year.

Connected GPS is a subscription and will up date with map changes, traffic and road construction as fast as the information gets out. I keep hearing about Waze etc... whoosh.... that is information going over my head. I will most likely get Connected subscription at least once and try to learn the others.
Sponsored

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is that for the “Connected” or the “Connected Built-In” Navigation?
Either. Connected built in just gives you the first 3 years for "free"

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could be wrong, but this wasn't my understanding of built-in nav. I thought built in just means they charge you for 3 years of nav up front. The regular connected nav functions the same, but only comes with 90 day trial then you have to start paying monthly.
This is correct. I have used my High package NAV without my phone in the car at all and my GPS location was clearly correct the entire time.

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
New guy here with a 22 super duty, you guys dont have the proper understanding of the navigation differences and how it works im hoping to clear this up cause if not theres going to be some disappointed people. I dont know the differences in the bronco packages as to which one has which but im going to clear up the nav confusion at least. ill use ford terms. my super duty has connected navigation.

connected navigation: it includes a 90 day trial period, during this 90 days you will get live traffic, suggested destinations, the ability to search addresses and route from point A to point B. when this 90 days expire you lose all navigational functions, you cannot search an address and you cannot route from point A to B, if you try it will tell you that you need to subscribe, my super duty connected navigation is expired, my navigation is now useless and is nothing more than a moving map

connected built in: this includes a 3 year subscription that will let you route, give suggested destinations, traffic etc, after the 3 years expires, you lose traffic, and suggested destinations im sure im missing a couple of the features. when this 3 years runs out you will still be able to search an address and will be able to route point A to B youre just missing the fancy stuff.

Ford does a very poor job telling customers that with the connected system after 90 days your navigation is USELESS. I hope this helps some of you make the right choice for your navigation needs. I personally dont like having an 82K truck that I cant use navigation in at all(dont get me wrong I rarely use it but i dont like having to pay a subscription to use something in the truck). heres a thread on the SD forum of a bunch of disappointed customers.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1674512-sync-4-navigation-after-subscription-runs-out.html

242965d8_3116_411c_920b_c1fb93d9ffd1_0598ef26b4f09f1012085902db5788bbeaa50cb8.jpeg

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with High package and opted for Connecter Built-in Nav. I honestly don’t even use the phone gps anymore, enjoying the built in function so far. I heard it will integrate better with the upcoming trail nav/recording feature, but we shall see. I don’t use any phone apps on Apple CarPlay so the nice part about that is I’m not opening myself up to Ford recording every driving behavior I have.

Sponsored

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I went with High package and opted for Connecter Built-in Nav. I honestly don’t even use the phone gps anymore, enjoying the built in function so far. I heard it will integrate better with the upcoming trail nav/recording feature, but we shall see. I don’t use any phone apps on Apple CarPlay so the nice part about that is I’m not opening myself up to Ford recording every driving behavior I have.
Surprisingly even with my navigation expired something is still being logged by ford see the up/down arrows in the status bar on the right side of the screen? something is being transmitted to ford, I do not have my hotspot enabled so its not that.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Surprisingly even with my navigation expired something is still being logged by ford see the up/down arrows in the status bar on the right side of the screen? something is being transmitted to ford, I do not have my hotspot enabled so its not that.
You may have allowed Ford to tap into your driving/use habits when you initially got the vehicle. Also, it forces you to accept Ford watching your use when you use phone apps through CarPlay and all that. Oddly enough, I can use Spotify without having to agree to their terms. Maybe that is because I am not using the full Apple CarPlay function.

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You may have allowed Ford to tap into your driving/use habits when you initially got the vehicle. Also, it forces you to accept Ford watching your use when you use phone apps through CarPlay and all that. Oddly enough, I can use Spotify without having to agree to their terms.
one thing I have noticed is if I try to turn off certain features, it will kill the Fordpass app and not allow it to be used. Kinda damned if you do and damned if you dont. I think thats one of the things that makes me mad about the connected navigation thing, ford even with it expired is still collecting my data. pretty unfair deal IMO

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ar
one thing I have noticed is if I try to turn off certain features, it will kill the Fordpass app and not allow it to be used. Kinda damned if you do and damned if you dont. I think thats one of the things that makes me mad about the connected navigation thing, ford even with it expired is still collecting my data. pretty unfair deal IMO
Are you using Apple or Android CarPlay? That is probably why.

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ar

Are you using Apple or Android CarPlay? That is probably why.
actually Im not, carplay connected wirelessly is choppy the map isnt very fluid when its running, and to top it off it looks like SHI* since ford wont let it go full screen I find it very annoying ford has to keep the right side of the screen for the IODs that a pretty useless. let us turn them off. the only ones I have that I find useful are the cameras, which i can access using the camera button anyways.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You will see it stated all over this forum that the only difference between the two is the length of subscription. This is totally untrue, and I've added several posts to try to help people out, but the incorrect information still seems to have won out.

If you are one of those people that use your phone for everything, then save your money and just get the connected.

If you are someone like me who would rather use their car navigation than type their phone, then make sure to purchase the built-in navigation (which is included automatically with Lux).

If you're worried about Ford tracking you and spying on you, buy in aluminum foil hat for your Bronco.

Captain nSANEo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dont understand why they even offer this when everyone uses maps or waze through their phone and Gaia and onXoffroad. Seems like its a waste of money and resources. And also isnt ford supposed to be coming out with an off road map gps system for themselves?

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now we need to know how the Ford offroad maps will work and will they work with any of the systems?

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Both Connected Navigation and Connected Built-In Navigation do basically the same thing while the service is active. The both pull in weather and traffic information using the AT&T cellular modem inside of your vehicle, and they will both route you from point A to point B.

Once the service expires, the Connected Built-In Navigation reverts to a more traditional old-school GPS device. It'll provide you routing from point A to point B, but it will not provide you weather or traffic information.

On Connected Navigation, the system will revert to effectively a digital map. There will be no routing functionality.

The third option is to use the Maps application (or something like Waze) on your smartphone through Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. That service is available on all trims and does not require a subscription to use, as it is driven entirely through your smartphone.
I thought CarPlay was offered in Mid trim and higher if I'm not mistaken. To me that would be a big reason to consider a BB over a Base.
Sponsored