Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Time to panic. The 2 local dealers are 3-4 weeks out for service. IDK if independent shops will be able to work on these yet. I'm going to stop by a friend's shop and see what he thinks. The ABS module is what concerns me now, I can change out the parts but bleeding the system is a whole nother thing.
I've yet to get a shop to touch my car for even an alignment. They have zero information on these cars in their systems for parts or service.
Sponsored

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Serious question. I’m guessing insurance doesn’t consider this road hazard since it was off road?
Never thought to ask, I assumed I'm on my own on this one.
I would definitely ask! Not sure where that bolder on the dirt road came from.
Definitely worth calling your agent or insurance company. Sooner the better so they can look at it before repairs are done. Probably falls under the comprehensive property damage coverage section. "...sir, there was some debris in my way that my tire hit and it went up under my Bronco and damaged a bunch of stuff."

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

wow what a mess. Agree with flip, get all the wire/sensors replaced go from there. Almost all those sensors are fragile. Also might be ok on not needing a re-bleed of the ABS but at this point I would if its going to a shop get it all done.

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can't say I've seen anyone do that before. Impressive.

Do you know how this actually happened? Looks like it carried over from front to back. Were you in reverse? Front locker engaged? I assume traveling slowly for a creek crossing. Were you hung up at the time?

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't say I've seen anyone do that before. Impressive.

Do you know how this actually happened? Looks like it carried over from front to back. Were you in reverse? Front locker engaged? I assume traveling slowly for a creek crossing. Were you hung up at the time?
Going forward through the creek bed, sucked up from behind and rolled it up/forward. A complete freak occurrence.

Sponsored

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Going forward through the creek bed, sucked up from behind and rolled it up/forward. A complete freak occurrence.
Did you drop down on it wedging it between the firewall and tire and that gave enough traction to pull it up? Or do you think turning the wheel pushed it just so? Definitely a freak occurrence.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you drop down on it wedging it between the firewall and tire and that gave enough traction to pull it up? Or do you think turning the wheel pushed it just so? Definitely a freak occurrence.
I think it grabbed when I turned the wheel left and pinched it between the wheel and frame.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update.

Service says a new ABS sensor, brake line, caliper, and control arm are needed.

I'm calling BS on the caliper. It didn't have a single mark on it. They want $700 for that, insane, but I might suck it up and pay it just to get it over with. The little rash on the control arm is fine, I'm certainly not paying the $1200 they quoted for it.

All in the parts total $2321. Huge markups.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Update.

I'm calling BS on the caliper. It didn't have a single mark on it. They want $700 for that, insane, but I might suck it up and pay it just to get it over with. The little rash on the control arm is fine, I'm certainly not paying the $1200 they quoted for it.

The big question: how many of those parts have no ETA/ are "on backorder?"

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Update.

Just be glad you're doing the labor yourself. You'd be at about $3,000 in labor on top of the parts.

Shop time at most Seattle dealerships is now at $195 per hour! o_Oo_Oo_O

Snark aside: if the brake line was sheared out of the caliper or pulled out due to the force of the rock it's certainly possible the threads need to be chased at minimum. Wouldn't like to be responsible for cleaning that port out after chasing it, you know, because brakes....

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The big question: how many of those parts have no ETA/ are "on backorder?"
The message from service says all parts are 1 week out. That is more than acceptable if true.

Just be glad you're doing the labor yourself. You'd be at about $3,000 in labor on top of the parts.

Shop time at most Seattle dealerships is now at $195 per hour! o_Oo_Oo_O
I'm not on the the brake system. But if I ever decide to replace the UCA it will be with aftermarket ones done myself.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The message from service says all parts are 1 week out. That is more than acceptable if true.

I'm not on the the brake system. But if I ever decide to replace the UCA it will be with aftermarket ones done myself.
There is some value in having them do the brake work. Since if it fails then it's on them to correct.

1 week isn't bad for parts!

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is some value in having them do the brake work. Since if it fails then it's on them to correct.

1 week isn't bad for parts!
I'm a little mad about the caliper, there is nothing wrong with it. Not a scratch. But I don't have time to dick around.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm a little mad about the caliper, there is nothing wrong with it. Not a scratch. But I don't have time to dick around.
Don't have any knowledge of such a rule/requirement/insurance carrier requriement, but it could be that they are required to suggest a new caliper any time there's visible damage to it just from a liability aspect?

Obviously not the case now but you can request to retain the old caliper and see if there's any issues on the line threads? At least then you would have a back-up caliper for the future just in case rather than being entirely out.

Anyway, the intent here is to be positive and try to give positive ideas/feedback instead of dwell on the lost $$$.

This is a crazy situation and that's a whopper of a rock to get into the wheel well! Bet if you had stock Sascratch tires on there the rock would have simply punctured/shredded the sidewall of the tire before taking out the brake line! :LOL:

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't have any knowledge of such a rule/requirement/insurance carrier requriement, but it could be that they are required to suggest a new caliper any time there's visible damage to it just from a liability aspect?

Obviously not the case now but you can request to retain the old caliper and see if there's any issues on the line threads? At least then you would have a back-up caliper for the future just in case rather than being entirely out.
The diagnosis is that it's sticking. Well yeah, that's why I brought it in, but I'm certain it's an ABS problem since it released as soon as I bled it.

While this whole thing sucks, I'm still going to go right back out there and do it again.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.