First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The axles were never once the problem and didn't hang up on anything, it was always breakover clearance. Solid axles would not fix the Bronco, it needs more belly height.
Were you high centering on the gas tank skid specifically? Thats a problem for 2dr...mine is rashed up now!

tomdaniel

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Linked suspension is a common modification to the last 50 years of vehicles. That early bronco probably still has the factory front locator bars. Most rock crawlers are not new vehicles, Google long arm suspension for jeeps, to see the benefits.
Perhaps comparing a 6th generation Bronco to a lifted 40+ year old SFA vehicle is kinda apples to oranges. These new ones can't even take a couple inches without snapping tie rods.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Perhaps comparing a 6th generation Bronco to a lifted 40+ year old SFA vehicle is kinda apples to oranges. These new ones can't even take a couple inches without snapping tie rods.
That is exactly what is going on in this thread!

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At what point does it switch from being rock crawling to boulder crawling?
Damn, those are some big 'ol rocks!

Yeah, I wouldn't be trying to tackle those, and I love going out crawling/climbing.
Hope you still had fun.
Watching 3 EBs on 35s go right over, then 15 Jeeps from another group, one that was on 33s, was very disheartening.

Were you high centering on the gas tank skid specifically? Thats a problem for 2dr...mine is rashed up now!
The transfer case skid was the worst offender, and the rockers were next. I was usually able to get a back tire up enough to clear the gas tank.

Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Simple. The Bronco was not built for that trail, it was also not built to haul plywood. This would be like taking a lifted wrangler on 40's to Tail of the Dragon. The right vehicle for the purpose it was built.

The Bronco has always been touted as the other end of the off-road spectrum. Rock crawling is not even really off-roading, its "no" roading and forging your own trail where one doesn't really exist. Rock crawling is a purpose-built activity where you spend a ton of time out of the vehicle with spotters walking your line and winching over things. The vehicles that do well there are uncomfortable on and off that trail.

Being on the flat east coast, The Bronco is the perfect tool for my needs. If you took me to that trail, I'd have said no thanks and gone on about my day.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is exactly what is going on in this thread!
The comparison is inevitable, we're going to run into those guys on the trail and they're going to show us up.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Neither was an EB. 3.50 gears, open diffs and a three speed wouldn't be the best combo for that trail.

Take a stock EB against your stock 6G and see which goes farther.

Now put the same money into mods as they have in those EB’s and see where a 6G will go.

Love the fact that you really get out there and use yours!

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For a stock out of the box vehicle, I think it does great. For what it is. We replaced a modified 2015 4runner Trail, and after our first wheeling trip a couple weeks ago we seem to drag belly and control arm brackets about as frequently, but the smaller footprint, front locker, and better steering means we can get off of the obstacles easier. Approach angle is much better, I can nose up to obstacles that I never would have dreamed of in the 4runner. Will it do all of the extreme things that my Land Cruiser on 40's will do? No, but they are different animals.

For a mild family wheeler, the Bronco does great. If I want to go get stupid, I have my Land Cruiser.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Neither was an EB.

Take a stock EB against your stock 6G and see which goes farther on that trail.
That was my other point. Modify a 6G to that level and you've ruined what it is good at. Now you have the Broncbuster rig that gets trailered everywhere.

Sponsored

tomdaniel

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That was my other point. Modify a 6G to that level and you've ruined what it is good at. Now you have the Broncbuster rig that gets trailered everywhere.
You daily driving your lifted EB?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Did Ford really need to make this boat anchor X-member in their premier offroader (see 5:03)

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did Ford really need to make this boat anchor X-member in their premier offroader (see 5:03)

And I don't even have that, that would just make it worse.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sad to hear, as I really wanted a 2 dr on 37's to be able to run some pretty hard trails (obviously not what I run on 43's and mogs), but could still drive to the trail (or even trailer to another part of the country, but drive it around when I get there).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.