Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Someone is going to develop a battery that can last forever and recharge in a couple minutes. When they do, they’ll make a killing and the ICE will be history. I have no idea when that will happen, but it’s inevitable.
I will more than likely be on social security at that time. I'll be 46 next week...
Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When I can go to a station, charge an EV as fast as filling a gas tank without waiting in line behind Starbucks latte sipping snobs then I might look at one. I don't want to have to plan trips around charging stations, nor wait in line as well as spend upwards of an hour charging an EV every couple hundred miles. Let's not even go into the infrastructure requirements for these things to have any substantial market share. EV is a niche and will remain so for decades.

We are 20 years out from these things being mainstream viable, period.
I agree with most of what you said, except I don’t think we’re 20 years out from EV’s becoming mainstream. Technology develops at such a rapid rate, that EV adoption will probably come sooner rather than later. Just a wild ass guess on my part 😎.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I will more than likely be on social security at that time. I'll be 46 next week...
I’m a lot closer to SS than you are, but we both may be right. 😎

Bushwhacker

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

IN MY OPINION No it won’t. Not enough to make an electric only viable to the masses. This has been covered and debunked already in this thread.
There. FIxed it for you. Just because you think it or said it, doesn't mean it's been debunked. You really haven't even made a compelling argument for why it won't. None of us know for sure what the EV market will look like in 8 years, we all have OPINIONS.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There. FIxed it for you. Just because you think it or said it, doesn't mean it's been debunked. You really haven't even made a compelling argument for why it won't. None of us know for sure what the EV market will look like in 8 years, we all have OPINIONS.
Incorrect but nice try. Just stop man. You’re making no sense. At least everyone else that has posted a descending point have made sense. Yours haven’t. At all.

Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with most of what you said, except I don’t think we’re 20 years out from EV’s becoming mainstream. Technology develops at such a rapid rate, that EV adoption will probably come sooner rather than later. Just a wild ass guess on my part 😎.
The technology will outpace the infrastructure. I also don't like being at the mercy of whoever controls electricity or even potentially have the ability to remotely disable your vehicle if they don't want you on the roads travelling. I can store enough gas to go hundreds even thousands of mile if need be and the same can't be said for electricity.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I can go to a station, charge an EV as fast as filling a gas tank without waiting in line behind Starbucks latte sipping snobs then I might look at one. I don't want to have to plan trips around charging stations, nor wait in line as well as spend upwards of an hour charging an EV every couple hundred miles.
Heck, it took me 45 mins to fill up my Bronco at a Shell two weeks ago. Only one person in front of me, but the credit card readers were super slow and then the pumps were dispensing at about a quart per minute. Not to mention all the natural disasters and geopolitical turbulence that have disrupted gasoline supplies over the past few years.

So I certainly get the appeal of 'filling up' at home overnight without having to waste my time at gas stations. For a second car, EVs make heaps of sense; it's just a way of diversifying between gasoline supply chain risks and electricity grid risks (both of which are more fragile than ever). I owned my last vehicle for six years, and I never drove it more than 200 miles from home (we took my wife's minivan on all the big road trips).

The #1 reason I don't own an EV is depreciation, which offsets any energy savings (and then some). Early adopters of EVs have been taken to the cleaners at resale time. Meanwhile, gas/diesel 4x4s have been the slowest-depreciating vehicles for decades now. It remains to be seen how the newest electric trucks/SUVs will depreciate; will anyone want a F-150 Lightning with a ~200 mile range (after battery degradation) in 8-10 years when new EV trucks are 500+ miles per charge and recharge in 10-15 minutes? Meanwhile, I'm pretty damn confident I'll be able to sell this Bronco for about half what I paid for it at that time (especially thanks to inflation).

Last edited:

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The technology will outpace the infrastructure.
That is already the case.

Tesla has a major jump on their SuperCahrging network. Ford needs to get one the same page with ChargeAmerica to be a contender even with the current infrastructure.

But... there still has to be a magic battery created to make an electric only car viable to people that do more than short commutes.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We don’t really know. My guess is because of our driving habits, distances driven, and a lot of other factors, it will take another 15+ years before BEV’s and PHEV’s approach 50% of new car sales in the U.S.

FWIW, here’s Norway’s growth rate for percentage of new car sales. It will take much longer in the USA. I’ll likely trade in one of my two Broncos for a Scout BEV long before Ford has an electric Bronco for sale. I’ll always own at least one ICE vehicle, likely in diesel form, for towing. I can’t imagine towing my Boston Whaler back and forth to Florida 1,900 miles each way and having to stop every 125 miles to charge. My diesel has a range of about 320 miles towing.

I love diesel and I”m also equally a big fan of my Tesla Model S for a daily driver. :)

Ford Bronco 7th Gen 2030 Bronco Coming End of 2029, Together With Electric Bronco EV (TE1 Platform) F863D23D-BA4F-41A6-9A07-11ADD410BADB

Last edited:

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A 2 or more car household is pretty common. I've never thought it be a bad idea to have 1 ICE and 1 EV. One for driving around town and normal daily commutes. Very few people are driving 250+ miles a day.

There are still issues with people that don't live in houses though. Most people in an apartment don't have a garage meaning no easy access to charge over night.

No reason for these things to not coexist. We have a fuel shortage due to some massive storm that happens? Great, there are some EVs on the road making the impact a little less felt. Don't buy one if you don't like it, but it's a weird thing to take an angry stance about. I'm going to drive my bronco for 10 years and see where we are at. It's good to keep an open mind.

Sponsored

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A 2 or more car household is pretty common. I've never thought it be a bad idea to have 1 ICE and 1 EV. One for driving around town and normal daily commutes. Very few people are driving 250+ miles a day.

There are still issues with people that don't live in houses though. Most people in an apartment don't have a garage meaning no easy access to charge over night.

No reason for these things to not coexist. We have a fuel shortage due to some massive storm that happens? Great, there are some EVs on the road making the impact a little less felt. Don't buy one if you don't like it, but it's a weird thing to take an angry stance about. I'm going to drive my bronco for 10 years and see where we are at. It's good to keep an open mind.
Agreed.

EruptionEnvy602

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would be really surprised if there isn't already a design in place for a PHEV Bronco given its mention in the owners manual.
It is likely that given the supply chain issues the PHEV has been delayed to ensure battery available for the Lightning and the Mach-E. With the arrival of new tax credits, I hope they'll produce something like the Wrangler 4xE, with improved options for accessing the battery. I'd bet they do a signature Overland Edition.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

None of us know Jack shit about what the future holds. One thing’s for sure, it’ll be different than today.

Boostedblues

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2011 F-250, 2004 Ranger 2016 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My 2014 Volt takes 4 hours to add 30-40 miles of range to the battery at maximum allowed voltage of 220v(it also has a gasoline engine), the 2022 Hyundai Ionic 5 takes 18 minutes to add over 200 miles to the battery.

This is literally how much EV battery technology has improved in 8 years...
Just for comparison it takes about 5 minutes to fill up my F-250 and have over 1000 miles of range. granted that's from 75 gallons of diesel. I did a trip to TX from KY filled up once. I went 1050 miles and still had over 200 miles of range.
Sponsored