Sponsored

[NEWBIE] What is a non-SAS really able to do?

airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW sedan, Eruption Green OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, feel free to leave stinging comments - I've tried searching and failed.

I saw a video on here, but cannot find it again, of a non-Sasquatch Outer Banks doing a trail, and I was impressed by what it could do. However, everything I read talks about Sasquatch and lifts and upgrades and I sometimes feel like I made a mistake not buying a Sasquatch or at least Wildtrak edition.

What is a non-Sasquatch capable of once one learns the basics of off roading?

Does anyone have videos of non lifted, especially Outer Banks doing tough trails, reaching but not exceeding their limits? I swear I saw one two weeks ago, showing a red OBX doing what looked like a medium difficulty trail, and I cannot find it again in my history or searching the forums.

I'm coming into this having never driven off road, so I plan to do the Off Roadeo next month, and probably try to find another class or two and join a local club to learn. I don't expect it to become a consuming hobby, just want to know what I can do for fun with my 360-day a year pavement princess.
Sponsored

HammerNQuill

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Liberty Latitude
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With the other 5.25 days, you can indulge in your new hobby!

Think of a non-sas as you would a "Trail Rated" Jeep Liberty or an old Cherokee: not as the flagship crawler, but capable of parking on a snow heap or inching up a steep, loose hill.

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
FYI, the WT comes with the Sasquatch package as standard. The non SAS package is quite capable. Perhaps the best non SAS compromise is the regular Badlands trim. It has 33 inch tires, yet it has many of the SAS underpinning, plus sta bar disconnect. That being said, I have the SAS and have never had any regret. It is the most capable out of the box and IMHO , looks the best.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My Black Diamond was able to make its own path through 9-10” of fresh snow at a relatively slow pace crawling up to 11700 feet; handled moderate crawling well on that trail too; I was surprised, but it handled whoops at speed much better than expected

I definitely have not reached its limits

Last edited:
OP
OP

airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With the other 5.25 days, you can indulge in your new hobby!

Think of a non-sas as you would a "Trail Rated" Jeep Liberty or an old Cherokee: not as the flagship crawler, but capable of parking on a snow heap or inching up a steep, loose hill.
IIRC, the video I saw looked like a dry river bed, and as it was navigating, one front wheel looked a good 8-10" higher than the other. I seriously had not expected the base suspension to be capable of that, and was hoping to see the video again, or other videos. Thanks for your reply!

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
IIRC, the video I saw looked like a dry river bed, and as it was navigating, one front wheel looked a good 8-10" higher than the other. I seriously had not expected the base suspension to be capable of that, and was hoping to see the video again, or other videos. Thanks for your reply!
The non-sas models can vary in capabilities. Different gearing, tires, rear locker, etc.

I assume you don't have the rear locker option?

You still have a real 4wd system and reasonable ground clearance. If you eventually replace your tires with more aggressive ones (or change to 17s as well) then I think you'll be very happy.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
SAS is great, but the reality is the vast majority of off-road vehicles don't come with lockers from the factory. People have been wheeling far less capable rigs for a long time.

OP
OP

airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
SAS is great, but the reality is the vast majority of off-road vehicles don't come with lockers from the factory. People have been wheeling far less capable rigs for a long time.
I did read that in another thread, and I felt a bit reassured that I hadn't screwed up not ordering SAS. TBH, my SO probably would have vetoed a vehicle that tall as a daily driver, even with steps. I expect I may add an inch of lift and skid plates if I start off roading a lot, but nothing more radical than that is in the cards for a daily driver.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw a video on here, but cannot find it again, of a non-Sasquatch Outer Banks doing a trail, and I was impressed by what it could do. However, everything I read talks about Sasquatch and lifts and upgrades and I sometimes feel like I made a mistake not buying a Sasquatch or at least Wildtrak edition.

Does anyone have videos of non lifted, especially Outer Banks doing tough trails, reaching but not exceeding their limits? I swear I saw one two weeks ago, showing a red OBX doing what looked like a medium difficulty trail, and I cannot find it again in my history or searching the forums.

I'm coming into this having never driven off road, so I plan to do the Off Roadeo next month, and probably try to find another class or two and join a local club to learn. I don't expect it to become a consuming hobby, just want to know what I can do for fun with my 360-day a year pavement princess.
If you have the 4.27 gears and rear locker, quite a bit! Our club has several members with non-sq OBX. One made most of the trails at Drummond Island MI, several do everything the rest of us do on the trails and off road parks that the steps don’t hang up on. It’s pretty easy to fit 33s and then you will be able to tackle almost any “moderate” trail and hang with the bigger tired SQ most places but deep ruts and bigger rocks.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I did read that in another thread, and I felt a bit reassured that I hadn't screwed up not ordering SAS. TBH, my SO probably would have vetoed a vehicle that tall as a daily driver, even with steps. I expect I may add an inch of lift and skid plates if I start off roading a lot, but nothing more radical than that is in the cards for a daily driver.
Like Gi Jo said, until a few years ago no factory vehicles had lockers on both ends and few even had one. All the trails in Moab, the Rubicon and the rest were pioneered with unlocked 60 hp WWII Jeeps and driven though the 70's, 80's and 90's with vehicles like the old Bronco, Blazer or Scout with smaller than 30" tires. That said, since those days trails have become more challenging with UTVs and folks proud of their right foot tearing them up, but a non Sas Bronco, or non Rubicon Jeep are quite capable.

Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It can do way more than you think. We had an OBX with us recently, and he did everything the Sasquatches did except for one big step where he dragged his trailing arm mount. He could have made it, but discretion is the better part of valor.

Ultimately you'll probably be happier the other 360 days of the year without sas.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's still plenty capable without SAS. I also have never been offroad before getting my bronco and got the chance to take it off road earlier this year at an off road park.

I went with a group that had the SAS package and I was able to keep up with them for most of the day. We did some simple trails, some muddy trails, dunes and what not. My non locker big bend got through almost everything no issues.

There were only two places during our trip where I had issues, one was getting stuck in the mud. That was more dirver error though, had I taken a better line I would have made it through but I slid into a deep rut and didn't have the ground clearance to get out. The other area I couldn't keep up was the rock climbing area. But that was fine with me lol, I was quite content parking it and watching the others climb rocks.

My big bend will do everything I want to do as a total noob, it's far more capable than I am lol.
Sponsored