Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok I have been looking around myself not sure where we will be at but that place worked ok.
I was going to see about getting the same place as last year, really convenient next to the Arena. But I'm going to gear up for a BC overlanding trip later in the summer, so maybe I'll just rough it and try that gear out in Moab if there isn't any Arena activity.
Sponsored

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
In the ski industry we have a few areas that offer free passes to certain groups - like skiers / riders under 10 year of age, college freshmen at the local college, etc. I'd have been pushing for them to institute a step where those free pass holders have to read and acknowledge the Responsibility Code.

If the off-road industry wants to get serious about preserving access, they should be doing the same whenever someone registers for an event. Likewise, when someone wants to join one of these boards, or enjoy a discount on a product, the same mechanism should be in place.

Trade associations for the industry could create the portal, and make it turnkey to events, boards, forums and brands. If the industry doesn't care, and if user groups act like dickheads, I am all for shutting access down. Let people ditch their windshield wilderness experience and walk in.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was going to see about getting the same place as last year, really convenient next to the Arena. But I'm going to gear up for a BC overlanding trip later in the summer, so maybe I'll just rough it and try that gear out in Moab if there isn't any Arena activity.
Say more on this BC overlanding trip….

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just to clarify, I wasn't complaining about BLM before, it's more the pressure BLM gets from organizations like the SUWA that causes them to reduce trail access in order to mollify, in most cases, a lot of people who never go there.

When I lived in WA, we did most of our wheeling in Snoqualmie/Mt. Baker National Forest, we knew the rangers there, met with them periodically, learned their concerns and helped be a force multiplier for them with management.

By the same token, they would keep us posted on public meetings that were happening in places like Mercer Island, where the public would be trying to prevent us using the forest. We had a very good synergy up there and had mutual respect with the .gov guys working the area.

Frankly, BLM had three plans, the one we got was not the worst option for us, but that involved a lot of clubs reaching out to BLM to give our side of the story.

Whether we like it or not, when we go out and do something stupid, it reflects poorly on all of us, and one awcrap erases all the trail stewardship we otherwise do. Ultimately, whether we like it or not, we're all seen as a team, and any misbehavior makes us look bad as a group.

Or as Austin Powers said, "Oh, behave!" :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
F150rubyred

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When people are signing up for these trails are they asked about the experience level? Or is it jut a gaggle of people putting their names on a piece of paper laying on a table some where? Sounds like the safety of the participants is not being considered at all. A moderate trail can have serious consequences for someones rig and safety if they are inexpierenced and panic on a trail.
I don't think they were asked about their experience level. There was big white board and name of trail and you put your name down. I talked to one older couple on Hells Gate with no experience and they had not done the easy runs. They have to take some responsibility and find out what they are signing up for. Some direction needs to be given also.

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think they were asked about their experience level. There was big white board and name of trail and you put your name down. I talked to one older couple on Hells Gate with no experience and they had not done the easy runs. They have to take some responsibility and find out what they are signing up for. Some direction needs to be given also.
You are asking for problems hoping inexperienced folks even know what questions to ask or even where to research a trail.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have never attend any of the Jeep safaris in Moab in the past, now I do not think the Bronco ones sound any better.

When people are signing up for these trails are they asked about the experience level? Or is it jut a gaggle of people putting their names on a piece of paper laying on a table some where? Sounds like the safety of the participants is not being considered at all. A moderate trail can have serious consequences for someones rig and safety if they are inexpierenced and panic on a trail.
With the official event, there are numerous experienced trail leaders who have run the trails multiple times & help as much as they can to keep a safe enjoinment for all. Unfortunately, last year there was some knuckle head on Hell's that was drunk/high or just a complete idiot that wasn't listening to anyone & doing his own thing. He ended up flopping in the Hot tub. Fortunately it was not the day I ran it :sneaky:. While each driver has to take into account their own experience & weigh the risk. Heck there were a few rigs that got wadded on the way to the event, so safe is relevant 🤠

With my offer to lead the trails I've listed, I'm confident in leading them with those I've wheeled with before (past Safari participants & old friends) when keeping the group small <15. I don't intended to lead 25+ vehicles running up & down the line on these trails. Drivers need to access their own abilities & research the trail ratings & accept come what may 🤠

Sponsored

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the official event, there are numerous experienced trail leaders who have run the trails multiple times & help as much as they can to keep a safe enjoinment for all. Unfortunately, last year there was some knuckle head on Hell's that was drunk/high or just a complete idiot that wasn't listening to anyone & doing his own thing. He ended up flopping in the Hot tub. Fortunately it was not the day I ran it :sneaky:. While each driver has to take into account their own experience & weigh the risk. Heck there were a few rigs that got wadded on the way to the event, so safe is relevant 🤠

With my offer to lead the trails I've listed, I'm confident in leading them with those I've wheeled with before (past Safari participants & old friends) when keeping the group small <15. I don't intended to lead 25+ vehicles running up & down the line on these trails. Drivers need to access their own abilities & research the trail ratings & accept come what may 🤠
I am really wanting to run some trails in MOAB, but I would like to go in a small group. I have reserved a room in Grand Junction Co, if we don't run MOAB we may just hit some trails in the surrounding area that are relatively safe for a single rig to run.

colbert

Badlands
First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram hds fj cruisers broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Moab is overused and it is showing. BLM just shut down 500 miles of trails to ORVs starting 2024. Safari, official or otherwise, of any substantial size needs to go elsewhere for the good of all.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am really wanting to run some trails in MOAB, but I would like to go in a small group. I have reserved a room in Grand Junction Co, if we don't run MOAB we may just hit some trails in the surrounding area that are relatively safe for a single rig to run.
We are going out there via Denver so we were going to stay in Ouray or closer by for 2 days so we have options. Any reservation stuff I do will be cancellable anyways.

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are asking for problems hoping inexperienced folks even know what questions to ask or even where to research a trail.
At trail sign up the trail leader should be there and ask questions of people signing up. What experience they have, what equipment they have and so on. A good trail leader will not let someone go on a trail that is too tough for them or their equipment. The people who put on the event should explain that to trail leaders.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it doesn't work out this group can easily put together a small unofficial get together.
I’m down for a side venture. The pace was very slow but it was nice being able to help out on some of the rides.
You guys already know where the Discord is ;)
Happy to help host or organize a small meetup of people from here.

Unfortunately, my rig is still factory Sasquatch suspension and tires, so Hell's Revenge and Dome Plateau were about my limits this year, haha
Sponsored