Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What are you thoughts on this?

What is/was everyone planning for the 2024 Safari?

Are the B6G people thinking about getting together?
Sponsored

Bentpushrod

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ram 2500, '18 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
That sucks! I have a condo booked for the event. Not sure if I’ll keep it or not now.

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Bronco Safari intent to apply was denied unanimously;

During the October 17 county commission meeting, commissioners spent most of their time discussing permits for “high impact special events.” The county requires event applicants to submit an “intent to apply”; if that’s approved, event organizers can then apply for permits. The process is meant to let planners know whether their event has a chance of being approved, before they complete the more in-depth and time-consuming full application.

The Bronco Safari event in particular generated a number of complaints the last time it was held, including about participants driving above speed limits at the Old Spanish Trail Arena, minor property damage, and a “Bronco participant altercation with a softball parent.” The complaints made commissioners hesitant to approve the event; they also pointed out that no organizers were present at the meeting.

https://moabsunnews.com/2023/10/19/county-commission-october-17/

OP
OP
F150rubyred

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That sucks! I have a condo booked for the event. Not sure if I’ll keep it or not now.
I hear ya! I had been looking on Airbnb for a place to stay but had not booked yet. I think it would be good if the B6G group could get together.

OP
OP
F150rubyred

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

During the October 17 county commission meeting, commissioners spent most of their time discussing permits for “high impact special events.” The county requires event applicants to submit an “intent to apply”; if that’s approved, event organizers can then apply for permits. The process is meant to let planners know whether their event has a chance of being approved, before they complete the more in-depth and time-consuming full application.

The Bronco Safari event in particular generated a number of complaints the last time it was held, including about participants driving above speed limits at the Old Spanish Trail Arena, minor property damage, and a “Bronco participant altercation with a softball parent.” The complaints made commissioners hesitant to approve the event; they also pointed out that no organizers were present at the meeting.

It will be interesting to see what happens; I guess we will know in approx. 30 days.

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That’s really a shame. I really enjoyed the event and people in general were very respectful. The only issue I ever heard of was people parking in a fire area. Hopefully it can be resolved and it’s a good reminder to be respectful of the areas we use.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was iffy on doing Safari trail rides next year anyway, the pace was just too slow. But I was still going to sign up. If it doesn't work out this group can easily put together a small unofficial get together.

it’s a good reminder to be respectful of the areas we use.
I'm afraid the influx of first time offroaders brings an ignorance of etiquette as well. I've seen it with side by sides, especially with easy rentals, it's a low barrier to entry and any yahoo can go tear it up.

Last edited:

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was iffy on doing Safari trail rides next year anyway, the pace was just too slow. But I was still going to sign up. If it doesn't work out this group can easily put together a small unofficial get together.

I'm afraid the influx of first time offroaders brings an ignorance of etiquette as well. I've seen it with side by sides, especially with easy rentals, it's a low barrier to entry and any yahoo can go tear it up.
I’m down for a side venture. The pace was very slow but it was nice being able to help out on some of the rides.

And yea, education is extremely important. But also holding people accountable that are witnessed creating a bad image for off-roaders. Side by sides are 100% causing some major issues. I have friends in our local county that oversee our off-road areas. They said SxS are #1 on their list for issues being caused.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Bad hehavior

Bad driving behavior, lack of courtesy to pedestrians and other users along with disrespect for the ecosystem mixed with overdevelopment has slowly reduced the amount of beach available on the US East Coast for Oversand Vehicle Driving. Noisey exhausts on a quiet beach dont help. All this encourages those who want motor vehicles "out" of Nature, pressuring local governments.

OP
OP
F150rubyred

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I feel the same way it was very slow and the day I did Hells Gate there was 25plus Broncos, that is a bunch. I was planning to sign up and run a couple days with Safari. I am up for an unofficial get together for sure!

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Too bad for sure that the county feels compelled to block the event, causing good participants to suffer for the actions of the few.

But….

Maybe the Bronco community should take several notes from the established Jeepers with their events.

I can totally imagine most of the blame being ploced on those new to off-roading, but I doubt that’s the case guys. Just think about when you go out with someone new for their first time in their own rig; they tend to be very skittish, slow, fearful, and are full of anxiety over the experience; takes several trips for most to calm down.

Instead, who I see acting up most often are guys who should know better, but are of the more seedy variety of our community. Then there are the teenagers; meaning sons of wheelers out on their own with no supervision.

Jeepers usually host their major events with a lot of education, with some being required. Classes and controlled rides may be a drag for those with experience who behave respectfully, but these wildcards will kill access to public lands for us all if we’re not careful.

True, there are more of us out there, and I don’t want to start to view that as a bad thing and I feel its counterproductive to lay blame at a very general group without investigating the assumption. In all honestly, it could be elements of both, as I do know that YouTuber action style off-roading videos; while entertaining at times, have influenced newer guys.

Guys on the forum are also guilty of the over-glorification of horsepower and speed, when it’s generally a bad idea to use much of it off-roading, so going slowly through trails, but steady preserves our trails more than just laying the hammer down all the time.

Thoughts?

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you are looking for a big organized event and Bronco Safari does not survive, why not go earlier to EJS? Otherwise you can have just as much fun with a smaller group and not get stuck with lines at bigger trails.
Still a shame to hear.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Too bad for sure that the county feels compelled to block the event, causing good participants to suffer for the actions of the few.

But….

Maybe the Bronco community should take several notes from the established Jeepers with their events.

I can totally imagine most of the blame being ploced on those new to off-roading, but I doubt that’s the case guys. Just think about when you go out with someone new for their first time in their own rig; they tend to be very skittish, slow, fearful, and are full of anxiety over the experience; takes several trips for most to calm down.

Instead, who I see acting up most often are guys who should know better, but are of the more seedy variety of our community. Then there are the teenagers; meaning sons of wheelers out on their own with no supervision.

Jeepers usually host their major events with a lot of education, with some being required. Classes and controlled rides may be a drag for those with experience who behave respectfully, but these wildcards will kill access to public lands for us all if we’re not careful.

True, there are more of us out there, and I don’t want to start to view that as a bad thing and I feel its counterproductive to lay blame at a very general group without investigating the assumption. In all honestly, it could be elements of both, as I do know that YouTuber action style off-roading videos; while entertaining at times, have influenced newer guys.

Guys on the forum are also guilty of the over-glorification of horsepower and speed, when it’s generally a bad idea to use much of it off-roading, so going slowly through trails, but steady preserves our trails more than just laying the hammer down all the time.

Thoughts?
I got into off-roading mostly to get away from other people, lol. Wife and I would head for the mountains, navigate up some rocky trail, camp and maybe not see anyone for remainder of weekend.

On the other hand I get why some people might enjoy the social aspect and comradery of a group event. Group dynamics though - can bring out good and bad in people. Either way for sure if on a peaceful trail ride, I would not want to run into a group of 100+ 4x4s.

If these bigger group events increase and get further commercialized, I hope it doesn't mess it up for everyone.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Mike, We have plans to go so if this gets nuked then we pull together a group. We will be in town by Monday 4/29 and leaving 5/4.

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw talks of moving to Sand Hollow if Moab does not go through.

I really think most the issues boil down to it was the amount attendees and not enough organizers to manage everyone. That said, they did a great job IMO, but were stretched very thin, and groups were too big for the trails.

Also, conspiracy theorist here, but if I was apart of EJS but i would try to shut down every other event in Moab to try to prevent all events and trails getting shut down.
Sponsored