Sponsored

2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision.

BronkoNagurski

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tough decision I am currently trying to make as well. The Ranger tune for the 2.3 is definitely appealing if the 2.3 feels a little on the weak side. Also the fact that the 2.7 is facing a limited supply could mean later delivery (may or may not be a factor for you). Those reasons, and the fact that I'm not going sasquatch, have me leaning toward the 2.3. Good luck with your deicision!
Sponsored

Adam H

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Something for all to keep in mind between the 2.3 & the 2.7. The 2.3 is a Direct injected engine(DFI). DFI engines have issues with buildup on the back of intake valves because the injector sprays directly into the combustion chamber. PCV systems dump those gasses and mist back into the engine to be burned and that's what causes deposits. Whereas Port Injected engines constantly wash the backsides of the intake valves, keeping them much more deposit free.

The 2.7L uses a combination of Port injection and DFI, Best of both worlds. To me at least, this is the most compelling reason to buy the 2.7l over the 2.3l. That and an additional 90 ft/lbs of torque to move 4,600 lbs+.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

do you want power and speed and want to nail the gas for the 0-60 time? then 2.7l.

if you are fine with a daily driver and don't plan on needing anything more than 250hp now a days and don't go full throttle a lot. 2.3l is more than plenty.
That was another conversion the bride, and I just had. I really have no need for tons of power on the highway, or on the light trails we will take. If I feel the need for speed I have an LT1 in the garage, and the wife drives a 5.0L Mustang.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Something for all to keep in mind between the 2.3 & the 2.7. The 2.3 is a Direct injected engine(DFI). DFI engines have issues with buildup on the back of intake valves because the injector sprays directly into the combustion chamber. PCV systems dump those gasses and mist back into the engine to be burned and that's what causes deposits. Whereas Port Injected engines constantly wash the backsides of the intake valves, keeping them much more deposit free.

The 2.7L uses a combination of Port injection and DFI, Best of both worlds. To me at least, this is the most compelling reason to buy the 2.7l over the 2.3l. That and an additional 90 ft/lbs of torque to move 4,600 lbs+.
I put an oil catch can on all my turbos regardless of the injection porting. It’s good insurance against crud buildup. I had no issues in the 5 years I (aggressively) drove my tuned 2.0 ST with a Breeda catch can installed in month 3 of ownership.

I gotta have the manny tranny so I’m at peace with the 2.3. Just my .02

BigBen(d)58

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Here is what I would say, and its advice I have always got. "You will never say, man I wish I had LESS horesepower." You will always be searching for more. And for $2,000 it will leave you with no regrets.

Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That was another conversion the bride, and I just had. I really have no need for tons of power on the highway, or on the light trails we will take. If I feel the need for speed I have an LT1 in the garage, and the wife drives a 5.0L Mustang.
i currently have a volvo with the T5 engine (turbo 2.0 i4) and on the volvo forums people had the same topic of the T5 vs the T6 (turbo and supercharged 2.0 i4). what it came down to was the 240hp of the T5 had plenty of power for every day needs and the T6 was just wasted because you never use it.

in Ontario, 50kph over the limit and your car gets impounded. so having all this extra power to me doesn't do you any good.

UGABronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac CT6, Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
Ask a Texan. BIGGER IS BETTER!

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For me a 2.3 four banger automatic will be fine around the big city but going over desert mountain hills heading to mohave or Vegas I'm sure the 2.7 will make me smile with less drama from the motor growling at me .

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had a 2015 mustang with the ecoboost 2.3. Made great power, blew up at 27k miles. I have a 2019 F150 with the 2.7 and 34k on the dial. No issues. For me 2.7 all the way. There will also be lots of mod options for it down the line and I believe its the more reliable engine. I want to keep this thing for years.

Sponsored

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pathfinder, 04 F150, 14 CRV. 22 BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the same delima. My concern is how the 2.3 will fair at high elevation? I drive up to the mountains fairly often and all the trails we go on can reach 12,000ft...

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the same delima. My concern is how the 2.3 will fair at high elevation? I drive up to the mountains fairly often and all the trails we go on can reach 12,000ft...
Forced induction so I would expect nothing short of "very well".

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s definitely another check mark for the 2.7. A couple hundred dollars for a catch can and some regular maintenance makes it a non-issue, but then the cost difference is even lower.
Sponsored