Sponsored

2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you haven’t watched it yet, you have to see the Top Gear episode where they try to kill a Hilux. It’s great entertainment and the outcome was stunning. It’s unkillable!

https://topgear.fandom.com/wiki/The_Indestructible_Hilux
3097E30C-3BB5-456B-91C0-DCB934F4DBA7.jpeg
Seen it - Loved it...Even those goofballs couldn't get it done.
Wonder how many were turned in during "Cash for Clunkers" and if the kill method actually worked on them? Probably took a bit more than the usual engine

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dont got time to read all this atm

Gonna mod it or naw? Chasing the Ponies or just satisfied with stage 2/3?

A_Locke

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius, 1966 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tough decision no doubt. Here's my 2 cents:

From a reliability perspective, assuming you stick with the 10 speed, I view both as equal. The 2.3L-10 speed combo is in a ton of Ford products (Explorer, Mustang, Ranger) as is the 2.7L-10 speed combo (F-150). The 7 speed Getrag transmission is new, so i would be a little more concerned about reliability getting that brand new transmission w/ the 2.3L.

I have driven the 2.3L-10 speed combo in the Ranger and felt it had plenty of power. Ranger will likely be a little lighter and more aerodynamic than the Bronco but I don't see the 2.3L feeling significantly less powerful in the Bronco. As many have mentioned, the 2.7L in the F-150 is really solid all-around. I have driven the Edge ST with the 2.7L (did not have the 10 speed) and felt the engine had a more refined feeling to it than the 2.3L in the Ranger. If you are a lead foot driver and do a lot of high speed highway driving I'd lean more towards the 2.7L over the 2.3L.

Being that you are getting an OBX and are locked into the 10 speed, if you have the money, go for the 2.7L. The OBX is a more well optioned trim level and will likely be heavier and that 2.7L will provide more power for you. You don't want to get a custom ordered Bronco and immediately regret your engine choice.

I'm getting the 2.3L w/ the 7 speed because I prefer the manual experience and cannot afford the 10 speed with my config. Also I don't care too much about reliability as opposed to others hahaha

Hope this helps!

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Good points also Jake. It's really not about the budget. For once in my car buying experience I think I'm just trying to be practical. I don't know if that's gonna work or not, but I'm gonna give it that old college try.
That's actually what's keeping me from going 2.7 haha. I have other items on my wish list that are priorities over more power and trying to stay in a self imposed budget.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have a 2.3L Ranger, and you're right. That little thing will scoot, and still return some good mpg's. But, the Ranger does have better aero dynamics. I don't know if that would make much difference with today's engines though.
If you already have the Ranger, then drive with it in sport mode, and lock out 7th-10th gear and only shift using the obnoxious buttons on the shifter.

That should give you the best approximation of the Bronco. Since you're an admitted old person (like myself), you'll only be going for the manual transmission and the Ranger doesn't simulate that unless you force the characteristics as outlined above. Then take into consideration the 95:1 crawl ratio. Which Ranger or F150 won't have.

BTW: I'm guessing you haven't driven the Ranger with a load yet. If you had that thing loaded up with 7,500 lbs towed and another thousand in the bed and cabin, then you would know how ridiculous any argument is that you "need" the 2.7 in order for Bronco to be able to drive down the road under it's own power....

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I like working on engines - but I have not worked on Ford - why is the 6 more difficult to work on than the 4 ? I too would like to keep this till it is done - in 12 years or so - with at least 200 miles.
I did have an '06 Land Rover with a Ford 4 liter V6 that I loved - it was strong and very reliable and took me everywhere I needed to go - even when the LR3 was very heavy - like the Bronco.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
Is a Porsche Cayman fast enough for you? A 911? A 911 S? A 911 GTS? 911 Turbo? Turbo S?

I don't understand why one need ask a forum if a vehicle has enough power for them? Only you know how you like to drive. Many people here vehemently argue the 2.3 will be plenty. Others say they need the 2.7. I've owned 4 new Wranglers and always felt they were annoyingly under-powered. I definitely need the 2.7L, but I like to drive fast and aggressively on the highway.

And, if you're doing Squatch that's gonna slow down the 2.3 even more.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I like working on engines - but I have not worked on Ford - why is the 6 more difficult to work on than the 4 ? I too would like to keep this till it is done - in 12 years or so - with at least 200 miles.
I did have an '06 Land Rover with a Ford 4 liter V6 that I loved - it was strong and very reliable and took me everywhere I needed to go - even when the LR3 was very heavy - like the Bronco.
These 2 motors look like they are octopuses that are tangled up in spaghetti.

TennesseeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm getting this same trim. 4 door automatic OBX with squatch and I've been thinking about the same question. I personally won't be doing a lot of off roading or towing. Some, but not a lot. I will be doing quite a bit of interstate driving. So I was more concerned about mpg than power. However, from what I can tell, the mpg difference is very minimal. Like 1 or 2 mpg. So in that case I'm telling myself if my main consideration is mpg and that difference is minimal, just go with the bigger engine just in case you might want it down the line. Does that rationale make sense?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you already have the Ranger, then drive with it in sport mode, and lock out 7th-10th gear and only shift using the obnoxious buttons on the shifter.

That should give you the best approximation of the Bronco. Since you're an admitted old person (like myself), you'll only be going for the manual transmission and the Ranger doesn't simulate that unless you force the characteristics as outlined above. Then take into consideration the 95:1 crawl ratio. Which Ranger or F150 won't have.

BTW: I'm guessing you haven't driven the Ranger with a load yet. If you had that thing loaded up with 7,500 lbs towed and another thousand in the bed and cabin, then you would know how ridiculous any argument is that you "need" the 2.7 in order for Bronco to be able to drive down the road under it's own power....
Sound thinking Rick. I haven't loaded the Ranger yet, but have read quite a few towing threads on the Ranger forum. Some have towed very close to the limit, and have nothing but praise for the engine, and truck.

KingWillard

Black Diamond
First Name
Willard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I drove the Ranger and I thought it seemed fine compared to my 19 Tacoma with a 6 cylinder That being said, I would go for the 2.7 if I wasn’t set on having a manual transmission and was ok with the extra cost.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
do you want power and speed and want to nail the gas for the 0-60 time? then 2.7l.

if you are fine with a daily driver and don't plan on needing anything more than 250hp now a days and don't go full throttle a lot. 2.3l is more than plenty.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm getting this same trim. 4 door automatic OBX with squatch and I've been thinking about the same question. I personally won't be doing a lot of off roading or towing. Some, but not a lot. I will be doing quite a bit of interstate driving. So I was more concerned about mpg than power. However, from what I can tell, the mpg difference is very minimal. Like 1 or 2 mpg. So in that case I'm telling myself if my main consideration is mpg and that difference is minimal, just go with the bigger engine just in case you might want it down the line. Does that rationale make sense?
It does Josh. I expect to use the Bronco like I do my Jeep. Light off roading as my capabilities are quite limited. It will also be used as a long road trip vehicle. I cruised over to the Jeep forum, and perused the 2.0L turbo threads. Even those running lifts with 35's are saying that engine does the job nicely in all circumstances on, and off the road. And from my investigations the Jeep JL at 5500 pounds come in at approx. 1K more pounds stock. So, that helps me accept the 2.3L in the Bronco a bit more. I've just got to wrap my mind around the fact that the small turbo's today have more torque, and HP than most factory stock engine during my childhood (70's-80's).I've got a lot of thinking to do in a short period of time. :)
Sponsored