Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OK, it’s definitely not class III!😀
There's a big difference between the hitch rating and the vehicle tow rating. But I really don't care enough to convince you of that so feel free to believe whatever you like. ✌
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is an excellent point.

The trailer brake controller in the Bronco accessory catalog is an existing Ford part. If you look it up is says that it requires the factory tow package to work.

If you intend to install a brake controller eventually, it may be worth it to spec the factory tow package if it could mean that additional plug-n-play options for it later.

If that’s not important to you than yes, aftermarket will likely be cheaper... but who knows when those will be available. Probably relatively soon, but also probably not at delivery.
This is why I got it. I eventually want to tow a 2200 pound overland camper trailer which will load down to 3-3200 pounds. I want a trailer brake controller and don’t want to mess with wiring it myself if the factory will offer an accessory later that’s compatible.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is why I got it. I eventually want to tow a 2200 pound overland camper trailer which will load down to 3-3200 pounds. I want a trailer brake controller and don’t want to mess with wiring it myself if the factory will offer an accessory later that’s compatible.
The trailer brake controller is not included anyways. Look at the fine print lol

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's a big difference between the hitch rating and the vehicle tow rating. But I really don't care enough to convince you of that so feel free to believe whatever you like. ✌
OK.

Sponsored

CMBRONC

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You are correct, by industry standards it is a Class III hitch as it has a 2" receiver. It also falls within the rating for a Class III receiver at 3,500 pounds.

Ford Bronco Towing Package: worth it or no? Hitch Class

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last question before I place my order (Black Diamond) this week: is the common consensus that the Towing Capability is not worth the $600 asking price as it is merely a hitch and a wiring harness? No transmission cooler/etc. that you may get with other vehicles' tow packages?
I want a bike rack that I can leave the bikes on without having to worry about forgetting and driving into the garage with them still on the roof, so the "tow" hitch is required for the bike rack I want. Other than that I would see no point in having a hitch because these can only tow 3,500 lbs which is close to nothing.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right, I know the advantage of having a hitch receiver (which I plan to get regardless). The question is whether the factory option is worth the $600 or if an equivalent (or better) aftermarket solution will be available for significantly less.
The way I look at it, $600 is mice nuts when spending $53k for a fully configured Bronco. I’d just as soon let the factory install it then have some local hitch place hack the wiring and maybe wind up with a hitch that looks like crap. Just my two cents on the topic.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want a bike rack that I can leave the bikes on without having to worry about forgetting and driving into the garage with them still on the roof, so the "tow" hitch is required for the bike rack I want. Other than that I would see no point in having a hitch because these can only tow 3,500 lbs which is close to nothing.
I was there too... But I'm pretty sure that if I take the front wheels off I can roll them in with the seats down and I thought I saw a fork quick release add on for the cargo area in one of the first accessory publications... Or I'll just make that myself. In the cab is still safer than on the hitch lol

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Fusion, 18 Grand Caravan, 78 F250, 81 CB750F
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
References help everyone, let’s clear some stuff up...

1. In Ford’s specs (go to one of the trim’s “explore this model” pages, expand the specifications sub-menu, scroll to “Towing”) you’ll see “class II” explicitly typed.
https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco/2021/models/bronco-badlands/
2. On curt’s website, a class II hitch gets a 1-¼” receiver, a class III gets a 2”. Apparently people are finding class II’s with 2” receivers but i’m not finding those.
https://www.curtmfg.com/types-trailer-hitches
Also worth noting, a class III can be capped at 3500lbs:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Toyota/RAV4/2012/e98864.html?VehicleID=201269753
It’s funny, because they sell a class II hitch with the same rating, only real difference is the smaller receiver size.
3. Class II’s are capped at 3500lbs which conveniently adds to the case for it being a class II.
4. there could be an error on the b&p, the hitch could be more stout than we think... but at the end of the day... we have this info as fact: you have 3500lbs to work with and the receiver is 2”.
End of argument.

now to the OP: just get the tow package. You pay extra on the front end. But you have it from day 1 and the wiring is well-protected (huge deal if you live in a crappy climate or actually plan to wheel this thing).
if you do decide that you really want to save that $300 on your $50k toy, then make sure you bolt your hitch on with the right torque. I’ve installed 3 different hitches on 3 different vehicles (class 2, 3, and 4) and I’ll be buying the factory option every time it’s available.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco specification is Class II. Class II is
Class II200-350 lbs2,000 - 3,500 lbs

Maybe Ford specs a class III hitch, but it seems more likely to me it is a Class II. I can find lots of examples of class II 2” receivers. I am suggesting, based on the OP question, that you may be able to get a known class III hitch in the aftermarket for a similar or less expensive price. Personally, I would be cautious on using a winch, which would likely need to be rated at 6k minimum to safely recover the Bronco, using a class II rated receiver. Probably fine. To say all recovery points or all 2” receivers are able to support recovery of the entire weight of the vehicle, seems naive. But I was just adding my perception of value to aftermarket vs. factory price. Personally, I am adding my own, I felt the price was too high and knowing I have a class III is a benefit in my mind. It’s$95 more than the Ranger for some reason 😧

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The way I look at it, $600 is mice nuts when spending $53k for a fully configured Bronco. I’d just as soon let the factory install it then have some local hitch place hack the wiring and maybe wind up with a hitch that looks like crap. Just my two cents on the topic.
51va3e.jpg

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
if you do decide that you really want to save that $300 on your $50k toy
$300 isn't throwaway change in my world (even on a $50k vehicle) if it means an hour of my time in the driveway on a creeper with a torque wrench. When I went into the dealer to spec my rig (haven't made it "official" yet), the tow package didn't even appear on the list (even though I selected it), which made me wonder if it's a dealer-installed pre-delivery part.

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Fusion, 18 Grand Caravan, 78 F250, 81 CB750F
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
$300 isn't throwaway change in my world (even on a $50k vehicle) if it means an hour of my time in the driveway on a creeper with a torque wrench. When I went into the dealer to spec my rig (haven't made it "official" yet), the tow package didn't even appear on the list (even though I selected it), which made me wonder if it's a dealer-installed pre-delivery part.
sounds like you have your answer. just check the torque and protect those wires. 👍🏻

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's listed on my build sheet as "Towing Capability" so it should show up.
Sponsored