First Name
Lindsay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XJ Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Every Ford I've owned or driven with auto cc has been like this except for my 2006 Explorer, only vehicle I could ever leave the auto feature on all the time without driving me nuts.
Sponsored

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Every Ford I've owned or driven with auto cc has been like this except for my 2006 Explorer, only vehicle I could ever leave the auto feature on all the time without driving me nuts.
The auto climate control on my MKZ works fine. I use it exclusively and it's on pretty much all the time because I live in South Florida.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The driver is feeling air that has been expelled as the vehicle is changing its position. In other words, the air is flowing in one direction and as the vehicle changes itā€™s relative direction, they are feeling the air from a now different direction. It isnā€™t increasing in volume, just coming from a different direction . This happens in many vehicles. This is even more noticeable while sitting in the rear seats. If one is used to a instant velocity of air reaching them, they are out of luck in the Bronco.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got my FE two weeks ago - Theres a very slight concave bend on the driver side edge of the hoodā€¦ i noticed it immediately but didnt think much of itā€¦ also, theres a glob of paint in the inside of the door (passenger rear size, size of a dime).. anything i can do about them now? Got the FE two weeks ago.
Take it to your dealer to have a look. If your hood is bent, hopefully they'll get you fixed up.

With those type of issues, though, best if you can spot and document before you leave the lot the first time.

Sponsored

GiantSloth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'v got to throw a flag on that one.
The back cap on the 2 door JL weighs about the same as the 2 door MIC cap (~80ish lbs). It's the 'base' hard top and feels neither 'cheep or thin'.
$50 bucks for a pair of kayak hoists will set up a manual system that easily pulls it off.
For the price we're paying for both of these vehicles nothing on them should feel cheap or thin. I'm not expecting a super lux interior - that's not what anyone in this market segment expects - but everything should feel rugged, substantial and solidly built

20210514_171030.jpg
I think this is incorrect. The hard too on JL 2 door is about 120 lbs. 100 lbs without the front panels. On the JK itā€™s about 25% heavier. The MIC cap on a 2 door is 80 lbs. and merele 60 lbs o. The 4 door. Those are huge differences in weight. Letā€™s hope thatā€™s not due to flimsy material

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think this is incorrect. The hard too on JL 2 door is about 120 lbs. 100 lbs without the front panels. On the JK itā€™s about 25% heavier. The MIC cap on a 2 door is 80 lbs. and merele 60 lbs o. The 4 door. Those are huge differences in weight. Letā€™s hope thatā€™s not due to flimsy material
The hardtop on my CJ-7 is around 150lbs. I used to open the tailgate, place some steps behind the Jeep, and walk the top off on my back. Not fun - but doable. Otherwise it was a two person job carrying on each side.

80lbs for the new Bronco MIC would be a significant weight improvement for manual (human only) removal. Although still maybe bulky enough that two person would find removal easier. I'd be down for the weight savings, but only if the top is built solid.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
not for $60,000 we shouldn't. Not even close.
But you knew the top on the $30,000 bronco was the same as the top on a $70,000 bronco.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

As this is supposed to be a direct competitor with Jeep I think it is a realistic expectation that the top should be at least as good as a Jeep. My JKU and JLU had hardtops and they were neither cheap or thin. I don't know why some folks here jump all over anyone that has some concerns or complaints about their Broncos as they arrive. This launch has been fraught with missed deadlines, (not all Covid related) poor communication from Ford and dealers ending up with sale units that allow someone to just walk into a dealer and buy one while the person waiting over a year still doesn't have a clue when they get theirs. I think a few complaints are justified without being jumped on by the Fan Boys. Ford doesn't need to be defended by them, they deserve their lumps. This was FAR from a good execution.
Having never seen a MIC top in person, and not spent much time looking at a JL or JT top, what does @piffs5 mean by thin? @Fireman Dave , agreed on the competitive comparison, but IF the current production quality issues weren't there, what would you say the bad comparison is.

(I have a JKU, and my 12 year old top has air pressure leaks and wind noise at the front corners, but I remember it being much quieter in the early days.)

The MIC and Mod top both are supposed to be an innovative multilayered top with a honeycomb core (which should both reduce weight and better insulate). My question is, how thin can that be if you have three top layers, honeycomb, two inner layers and the fuzzy headliner?

Does it feel thin and soft on the outside? Beyond the fibers and lamination issues, what are you specifically calling out?

Sponsored

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The car top should be the engineering and supply chain management you give to rookies and fresh fish new hires. China can build 100 floor skyscraper in three months. Ford can't figure out or scale a simple polymer, molded top in 2 years??? It's not like they are creating a new polymer chemistry. That supplier is not yet fired? Wabas--as--good--as--ass? Embarassing.
As someone that has actually assisted in helping those builds in China, I promise you they are comparable to the MIC top but with less dead people and maiming.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having never seen a MIC top in person, and not spent much time looking at a JL or JT top, what does @piffs5 mean by thin? @Fireman Dave , agreed on the competitive comparison, but IF the current production quality issues weren't there, what would you say the bad comparison is.

(I have a JKU, and my 12 year old top has air pressure leaks and wind noise at the front corners, but I remember it being much quieter in the early days.)

The MIC and Mod top both are supposed to be an innovative multilayered top with a honeycomb core (which should both reduce weight and better insulate). My question is, how thin can that be if you have three top layers, honeycomb, two inner layers and the fuzzy headliner?

Does it feel thin and soft on the outside? Beyond the fibers and lamination issues, what are you specifically calling out?
Having removed the top over the drive and passenger in both a 2021 Bronco AND a 2021 Jeep Wrangler in the same week, I can say I noticed no discernable difference between the two.

Granted, I did not inspect them to try and find a difference - but there was no "Oh" moment.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

At a dealership recently I saw a 2-door Wildtrak with MIC. I pressed and knocked on the hardtop outer surfaces. I climbed up and inspected and pressed down on the top. The outer surface seemed solid, and I didn't see anything at the time looking too thin.

Main thing that stood out to me was the uneven honeycomb and tooling marks on the inside surface. But outside and wall strength seemed fine. I was surprised later to see the images in the forum of honeycomb showing on the outside. There seems quite a variance in build quality.

txozpilot

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda (Worlds best family van) Odyssey ;)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
As this is supposed to be a direct competitor with Jeep I think it is a realistic expectation that the top should be at least as good as a Jeep. My JKU and JLU had hardtops and they were neither cheap or thin. I don't know why some folks here jump all over anyone that has some concerns or complaints about their Broncos as they arrive. This launch has been fraught with missed deadlines, (not all Covid related) poor communication from Ford and dealers ending up with sale units that allow someone to just walk into a dealer and buy one while the person waiting over a year still doesn't have a clue when they get theirs. I think a few complaints are justified without being jumped on by the Fan Boys. Ford doesn't need to be defended by them, they deserve their lumps. This was FAR from a good execution.
I couldnā€™t agree more!
I get that this is a first production vehicle and is always going to have teething issues. My problem is as FE order is that I was forced into a top that I didnā€™t want and now have to deal with the issues.
Ford had all the time in the world to look at the competition and reverse engineer Jeepā€™s tops and what I would consider the industry standard. Not being able to deliver that is very disappointing. All Iā€™m hoping at this point is that we will get access to the tops we wanted at a heavily discounted or invoice pricing so that I can have the Bronco that I ordered in the first place.
Stop beating people up that are just pointing out deficiencies in the manufacturers attempts to make a std top

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Also took delivery of a FE today and also think the top is a dumpster fire. But mine at least seems functional so far. I can wait until thereā€™s a TSB or something.

Time will tell if what appears to be wildly inconsistent construction/QA actually become ā€œfunctionalā€ issues, but itā€™s my opinion that the quality is poor enough that it should qualify for some sort of campaign without having to have a major leak or something.

From the outside, at 2+ feet away, it looks great! And the rest of the vehicle is šŸ‘Œ
Iā€™m waiting for your delivery report and pics :)
Sponsored