Sponsored

New to Ford. Overall Bronco reliability and turbo engine expectations?

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

How is the 2.3 not as good as the 2.7?
Google 2.3 ecoboost carbon build up. It's something that happens over time with direct injection engines. It's not a death sentence. There are plenty of high mileage 2.3 mustangs around that still run great. There are ways to combat it.

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Google 2.3 ecoboost carbon build up. It's something that happens over time with direct injection engines. It's not a death sentence. There are plenty of high mileage 2.3 mustangs around that still run great. There are ways to combat it.
What are some ways to combat carbon buildup on the 2.3? This is the engine I plan to get.

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the reply. The Toyotas have always been great for me but I'm ready for some updated tech and transmission. Will probably give the bronco a try. Thanks again.
I am coming from an FJ, which has been an incredible vehicle for 5 years, both off-roading and on highway. I feel exactly the same way: It will great to have updated tech and solid off-roading abilities all at the same time.

Sponsored

tundraguy

Wildtrak
First Name
sunil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Coming from a Tundra. Love it and it is a rock solid vehicle with the 5.7 V8. But Toyota's tech is so old, its like the Japanese dont care. Which may not be a bad thing. But the fuel economy on that engine is horrendous since the engine has not been updated for ages.

I have a Wildtrak reservation. Hopefully the swap will be ok. I will miss the headroom/legroom (in the rear esp and i know my kids are going to complain).

Last edited by a moderator:

SlamForce

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST, 2007 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

120k Fun miles on my 2013 Focus ST with the 2.0L EcoBoost engine, no major issues. No hesitations at all to get a Bronco with a bigger and newer EcoBoost.

tundraguy

Wildtrak
First Name
sunil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Honestly I don't see Toyota stepping up to compete, at least not fully. They are so very conservative and don't want to lose that reliability rating. I understand what they are doing but it leaves them so far behind. The true off-roaders a very small marketshare to them so I don't know that they really care all that much. The Pro 4Runner especially can really hold it's own offroad. Again I love my 4Runner and it has performed everything flawlessly but it's old and simple, although that's not always bad. Sadly my 2008 Edge limited work car has more tech then my 2 year old 4Runner. LOL
Tundra owner here and exactly my sentiments. Toyota is far too conservative for their own good. Their vehicles are RELIABLE. My Tundra has given me no trouble. It is as solid as it gets. But everything is relative. All my friends have Tesla's and the build quality is awful, it is like they dont know what a good paint job looks like on a car. I think coming from Toyota trucks, we may hit a middle ground. upgraded tech, great fuel economy and a highly capable vehicle.

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe the 2.3 is built from only aluminum while part of the 2.7 is made from some specialized iron. Not sure if that makes a difference

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sponsored

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is there any mass data to show the 2.3 is bad? Or just isolated anecdotal examples?

I fully expect 200k out of it. My current Ford truck (diesel) is at 307k, last two f150s (original efi 5.0 and 4.6) both had 200k when I sold them and no issues. Had a Mustang 4.6 with 197k when I sold it.

The 3.5 ecoboost has numerous extremely high mileage units out there as does the 2.7 and I'm sure the 2.3 does but haven't searched that one as much yet.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is there any mass data to show the 2.3 is bad? Or just isolated anecdotal examples?

I fully expect 200k out of it. My current Ford truck (diesel) is at 307k, last two f150s (original efi 5.0 and 4.6) both had 200k when I sold them and no issues. Had a Mustang 4.6 with 197k when I sold it.

The 3.5 ecoboost has numerous extremely high mileage units out there as does the 2.7 and I'm sure the 2.3 does but haven't searched that one as much yet.
How many miles a year do you drive?

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How many miles a year do you drive?
10-12k. I've traditionally bought high mileage rigs cuz it's what I could afford. My powerstroke and mustang were both purchased from original owners so I know their history. Powerstroke still on the original injectors and I've been running high boost for the last 50k in it.

captchathis

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is the 2.3 EcoBoost good as well?
The 2.3 is great too. Just those two details about the 2.7 I like from an engineering standpoint.

I wouldn’t hesitate to get the 2.3 if you’re concerned about reliability. It’s a proven engine and boosted sky high by the tuner scene without problems.

Like what others have said about it not having port injection, you can combat the carbon build up with injector cleaner occasionally and be diligent with the oil changes and it shouldn’t even cross your mind.