Sponsored

New to Ford. Overall Bronco reliability and turbo engine expectations?

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've had 2 2.7's in F-150's. Traded in my 2015 (first year the engine was produced)with 134,000 miles on it. Never had a single issue. My 2019 has 23k on it now, again never an issue. My neighbor owns a landscape company and has a couple 2.7's, one with over 200k, a 5.0 and a few super duty's with 6.7's. The only engine he's ever had issues with is the 5.0 (burning oil). All anecdotal perhaps, but go over on f150 forums and its probably the least talked about engine in terms of problems despite being the most common engine in the F150.
Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Having owned Yodas and Fords, I can tell you Toyota quality is on a whole other level. Lots of used Yodas around with 200-300,000 miles. The problem is the 4runner is a dinosaur (all their trucks are). The Eco Boost is a great engine. I anticipate a bunch of problems with the rest of the Bronco but it's such a cool truck.

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having owned Yodas and Fords, I can tell you Toyota quality is on a whole other level. Lots of used Yodas around with 200-300,000 miles. The problem is the 4runner is a dinosaur (all their trucks are). The Eco Boost is a great engine. I anticipate a bunch of problems with the rest of the Bronco but it's such a cool truck.
Are you getting a Bronco?

spiG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BD/20 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm also reading all of these forums as I've never been a Ford guy. Have owned Chevy, GMC, Jeep, Ram, Dodge, Subie but never a Ford. The Bronco really has me intrigued enough to look at Ford. Wife had JKU that we loved but once we had the second kid we got rid of it and now that they are a little bit older would like to get back into a true offroad vehicle.

Sponsored

Aussieshed

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Tacoma owner here. My 17 has some quirks. I’d say the build quality is average at best. I Feel like Toyota got lazy with the third gen Tacoma.
I have to agree with that. My 18 Tacoma was nice, but did have some transmission issues and limited interior space. For the price, I would like to hope that the Bronco will offer more space and the transmission should provide better shifting. Thanks for sharing.
Agree. Had a '17 Tacoma before my Alfa and while I loved the truck, I just couldn't get used to or trust the transmission. After a couple of close calls, I basically would never change lanes on a highway unless I had a lot of room, because of the lag in shifting and getting the thing to kick down a gear and get moving. Also going up an incline it would constantly want to shift up and bog down. Certainly hope they've fixed a lot of that now.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Both the 2.7 and the auto are excellent, Dana diffs...drive train i am going with is zero concern for me.

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tacoma owner here. My 17 has some quirks. I’d say the build quality is average at best. I Feel like Toyota got lazy with the third gen Tacoma.
Couldn't agree with you more. The 3.5L and that horrible trans are garbage. I have a 16 4Runner Pro and I'd much rather just live with the old 4.0/5-Speed.

I have a feeling I'll be a little disappointed with the overall fit and finish of the Bronco compared to my 4Runner but everything is sooo much better. Toyota has always been so far behind in Tech.

Sponsored

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Couldn't agree with you more. The 3.5L and that horrible trans are garbage. I have a 16 4Runner Pro and I'd much rather just live with the old 4.0/5-Speed.

I have a feeling I'll be a little disappointed with the overall fit and finish of the Bronco compared to my 4Runner but everything is sooo much better. Toyota has always been so far behind in Tech.
What bronco trim are you getting?

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

given what ford is going for here with this vehicle, a real off road one, I would expect the fit and finish to be a little less but I expect this vehicle to be much more refined when it comes to capability. Toyota is playing it safe and catering to the more general consumer and weekend warrior. Ford is as well but offering things in different model packages like the sport. Not saying there won’t be mall crawler Broncos out there, but the big bronco is giving consumers something that’s more off road oriented right out of the box.

Given what can be bought right from the factory this is an outdoorsman’s wet dream.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Agree. Had a '17 Tacoma before my Alfa and while I loved the truck, I just couldn't get used to or trust the transmission. After a couple of close calls, I basically would never change lanes on a highway unless I had a lot of room, because of the lag in shifting and getting the thing to kick down a gear and get moving. Also going up an incline it would constantly want to shift up and bog down. Certainly hope they've fixed a lot of that now.
I think the Tacoma lost the plot around the time it lost the 4.0L. Regardless their is a real difference between Japanese built Toyota quality and non-jap quality control.